PPS report

This is a discussion on PPS report within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; history : i purchased a walther PPS first edition that sufferend a catastrophic failure after 20 rounds. CLICK HERE for the thread with pictures and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PPS report

PPS report

history: i purchased a walther PPS first edition that sufferend a catastrophic failure after 20 rounds. CLICK HERE for the thread with pictures and explanation of the failure. i sent the weapon to walther for repairs and when i got it back the failure was repaired, but the weapon and case were beaten up. CLICK HERE for a description of the damages as well as pictures. i called "Larry" at walther america customer service who told me that he would make it right by sending me a new weapon.

update: i recieved my new PPS from walther america. initially i was a bit apprehensive when i saw damage on the cardboard box that it arrived in. obviously the hole had been punched in the box during shipping, and considering the luck i had thus far i opened the package expecting the worst.

i was pleasantly surprised to see that my gun case was actually packaged inside another box that was not damaged. i was also surprised to see a walther hat and patch included in the box. it was a nice gesture that is appreciated. funny how the little aspects of customer service can make such large differences. happy about the hat, but anxious to get my hands on my weapon i continued to dig.

the walther case was as perfect as the original. highly polished, and flawless. its impressive that walther went to such lengths to provide such a well built case. i own pistols costing literally three times as much as this weapon that came in cheap plastic cases.

considering the awful luck id had to this point, i was overly critical when i opened the box. as hard as i look however, i simply cannot find fault anywhere on this weapon.....not even machine or tooling marks.

this picture has nothing of substance to add, only that i thought it looked pretty cool. this is what the PPS looks like laying next to a 9 month old german shepherd.

range report: once satisfied with the condition of the weapon, it was time to see how it performed. i field stripped the weapon, cleaned and lubed it. i carefully inspected all mating surfaces, reassembled it, and headed to the range. my intention was to run at least 300 rounds of corbon 9mm +P with whatever combination of 115 grain and 125 grain loads i could find. after three stops i could only come up with 200 rounds of ammunition and i never pull from my cache (except for emergencies, which is why i cache ammunition to begin with) so i also picked up some WWB.

click image above to view video

the above featured video is not formal training, but simply an effort to become familiar with all aspects of my new weapon. im still experimenting with different stances for shooting from behind cover, trying to find a happy balance of comfort with agility. since nobody (i care to purchase from) makes a holster for the PPS at this time i could not begin each drill by drawing the weapon so i began each drill from holding the weapon angled down with my trigger finger in the ready position. my testing in the past has shown this to be pretty comparable to the time it takes to draw the weapon from an IWB holster under an untucked shirt.

what i like about the PPS:
    - flawless peformance. not a single failure of any kind, no hint of hesitation. feeding is as smooth as anything ive ever fired.
    - the trigger smoothed out quite nicely after about 100 rounds, and breaks clean at somewhere around 6 pounds.
    - sized perfectly for deep concealment.
    - POA/POI are consistant at typical defensive ranges. i didnt test beyond 7 yards because i purchased the weapon for CQC.
    - recoil is very controllable, followup shots, controlled pairs, and even "double taps" were fast, consistant, and notably accurate.
    - every aspect of the entire package is asthetically pleasing. certainly that is insignificant in combat weapons, but i do like it and felt its worth noting here.

what i dont like about the PPS:
    - i wish the trigger reset point was a little more crisp and obvious, perhaps this will improve with my familiarity. it wasnt "bad" by any means, just not as crisp as the 1911s that have spoiled my trigger finger.
    - 2 of the 300 ejected cases hit me in the forehead, one stuck between my safety glasses and my forehead giving me a nice burn. both were within the first 50 rounds so i think perhaps my extractor loosened up a little as it worked.

....and that pretty much sums up what i dont like about the PPS. i do wish there were more holster choices but this is the case with any new design.

bottom line: i can highly recommend this weapon with confidence to anyone seeking a small, truly compact 9mm capable of +P loads. the 3 different magazine choices allow you to choose between capacity and overall level of concealment. with the shorter 6 round magazine the weapon absolutely disappears most anywhere. i found the 7 round to be my best carry choice because it gives me a pinky rest resulting in slightly better control as well as 1 additional round. the 8 round magazine is the most comfortable and i will use the 8 round magazine once i find an IWB holster for the weapon. for now it slides in my front pocket nicely with the 7 round magazine. i do not yet carry this weapon but i definately will once it reaches with 500 round mark (using the type of ammunition i plan to carry) without failure.

despite the trouble i had initially, in the end it was well worth it. this weapon is as great as any other walther ive ever owned or fired.

2. Remove Ads

very good report,,

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    have any troubles with the mag release? (i.e premature ejections ) It looks like it would bother me for sure.
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

Thanks!

This little Walther is rather alluring and defintely adds another flavor to the deep concealment segment.

Thanks for the report. I am glad Walther took care of you and like you said, it's "funny how the little aspects of customer service can make such large differences." Congrats!

Lead Moderator
    Nice report , thanks. Scary music for the video too.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Thanks for the report.
    And if you find any good holsters please let us know.
    "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."

~Benjamin Franklin

Very nice report. Really appreciate the time you took to share all the info, and how thorough you've been. My son-in-law is very interested in this handgun and I'll be sure to pass your review and experiences along.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Good report, I'm glad they made it right!
    Any thoughts on how it would work for pocket carry?

VIP Member
    Great report, pics, and video, you did a very good job. It was very interesting, and good luck with your new pistol
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Awesome review. Very well done.

Ron
    Shine on...
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 9 Shield
    Taurus Raging Bull .454 Casull
    S&W M&P15 Sport;
    Mossberg 590A1

Thorough review...nice gun...heck, nice case, too!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I am gonna get me one once the all black ones come out....will make a nice compliment to my P99 Compact.
    Nothing Wrong With Shooting as Long as the Right People Get Shot.
    Clint Eastwood, Magnum Force, 1973

1 questi0on to the owner...do you like the finish of the frame of this gun....I am torn between getting one of the first edition or waiting til the black ones come out.
    Nothing Wrong With Shooting as Long as the Right People Get Shot.
    Clint Eastwood, Magnum Force, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Ghuqu2 View Post
    Good report, I'm glad they made it right!
    Any thoughts on how it would work for pocket carry?
    + 1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links