S&W 340SC - Quick review and pictures

This is a discussion on S&W 340SC - Quick review and pictures within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I bought this last week. It has replaced my Glock 36 as my carry gun. This is the extremely light (11.8oz empty) Airweight model. It ...

Thread: S&W 340SC - Quick review and pictures

I bought this last week. It has replaced my Glock 36 as my carry gun.

This is the extremely light (11.8oz empty) Airweight model. It consists of a scandium/aluminum alloy frame, titanium cylinder, stainless barrel, and a Hogue grip.

Well, it's true what they say about this gun being a firecracker. I shot it a few days ago. 9 rounds of Speer Gold Dot .38+p @ 10 yards. It shot very well. I want to see how well I do if i take time to actually aim. The purpose of shooting it this time was to see what kind of recoil I'd be dealing with.

Recoil is manageable with the .38+p. Even fun. I brought some .357 Magnum Hydrashoks, 130 grain. I shot one of those. I'm not going to be shooting too many of these out of the gun It feels like it does when you catch a baseball someone has hummed at you, and it hits you right where your index finger meets your palm.. that kind of shock is what it feels like when shooting the .357 ammo.

For carrying it, I'm definitely going to be carrying the .38+p because I'm not confident in being able to make a quick follow-up shot with the .357 stuff.

Anyways, I'm going to shoot it about once a month just so I don't forget what kind of recoil I'm dealing with.

All the shots were within a 4 inch group @ 10 yards. I guess that's about what i expected. I think 2" or tighter are possble with a little practice. 2"bbl + extremely light + double action only trigger all subtract from accuracy if you're not used to it. I think after another box or two I'll be very comfortable with the gun.

That being said, I'm comfortable enough with this gun after shooting it today. I can't say that about any of the semi-auto's I've carried. Not because of my shooting ability or the gun's accuracy, but at one time or another each of them has had a problem whether it be fail to fire, fail to feed, stovepiping. Maybe it only happens once, but it's enough to make me lose confidence in the gun. With this gun, I know it'll shoot every time.

http://www.lxcoupe.com/images/340/

Very nice.

I considered this piece before getting its younger (cheaper) cousin the 637 as my BUG.

Load 'em up!
    Why is it that you always find things at the last place you looked?
    Because when you find something-you stop looking-Mooch

Administrator

Thumbs up

Nice light-weight carry gun. Congrats.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Congratulations!. I alsohave the 340. Your experience with the ammo is pretty much like mine (except your 4" groups.) I also decided to carry the .38 +p rather than the .357 but it is god to have that as an option.

The 340 is a nice gun and with its light weight it can be carried IWB without a belt, held only by a single clip. Good summer carry.

A fantastic choice.

There is nothing like the Airlites but themselves; they are in a class of their own. Though not quite as flat as an auto in that one little area where the cylinder reaches its diameter, to me they are much smaller overall than autos of comparable length and height. I've never found the cylinder bulge to be a problem. I do not, however, pocket carry.

Have you considered putting a tritium sight up front? To me, one of the great advantages of the shrouded barrels on these guns is the ability to easily install aftermarket sights (not that there is a huge selection for the J-frames, but there are a couple). Countless times I have heard people extol the Airweight series .38 +P guns as the best carry J-frames, or anyway the best value out there. I agree that revolvers like the 642 and 442 are wonderful snubs, but the issue of replacement sights tips the balance for me in favor of the .357 scandium/titanium models (I do acknowledge that the tritium-sighted M&P 340 is now out, essentially making it an Airweight .357).

Sounds as though your impressions of the .357 round from this gun are about on par with many others'. Too much, at least for confident defensive work.

This brings up something else. An argument made by the "642 club" in favor of the Airweights over the Airlites concerns, of course, the caliber issue. When someone is considering a 340 or one of its brethren, frequently there will be a flurry of sober, and sometimes histrionic, admonitions about how "it is impossible to fire .357 out of it anyway, so why not save money and get an Airweight?". From when I first started researching the 340PD, let alone using it, I've never regarded it as a .357 - simply as a very strong .38 +P that happens to have the additional enticement of being several ounces lighter than a 642 or 442. This is not to mention the sight issue already discussed.

With the above three improvements on the Airweights - weight, strength and night sight capability - the choice was a no-brainer in my case. It just seems that not many people attach the same importance to these issues, particularly sights.

By the way, the accuracy you have achieved is great for 10 yards with this revolver. You were right that it's possible to do even better, though. The gun is certainly capable of it. It you're like me, you'll enjoy seeing just how accurate you can get with these tiny, short-barreled firearms. My best group so far has been about 4" at 25 yards. An XS sight helps a great deal with visibility.

Good luck with everything.

I too bought one of these little gems about a month ago. I added an XS big dot Tritium sight and a set of the CT laser grips. MY carry load is CCI Gold Dot 125 JHP in 38 special. Great gun, kicks like a mule but its not unbearable. We have to shot 100 rounds of duty AMMO for qualification. A mountain bikers glove with the Gel insert in the palm really softens the recoil. I have carried this gun every day since I got it. On duty as a back up and off duty as my summer carry.

I went three trips around the cylinder with 125gr magnums. I flinched all fifteen shots. Never again!!!!

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jhh3rd View Post
    I went three trips around the cylinder with 125gr magnums.
    I bow in your presence.

Hey Piglet...Good post

I personally think the practice of replacing sights on a snub is overrated. I shoot just fine with my stock 442 blade. Whatever works though...
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

88m
    very nice weapon. I know I really like my model 442 airweight
    “The will to survive is not as important as the will to prevail... the answer to criminal aggression is retaliation.” Jeff Cooper

Great review of the 340! I just got a 340PD yesterday and a set of LG-405 to go along with it. This gun will be a primary pocket piece! I will not leave home without it! The light weight of this pistol was the primary reason I chose the 340PD!

Nice pistola...lightweight...you won't even know if it's on you...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Sponsored Links