J-Frame or Colt Detective Special

This is a discussion on J-Frame or Colt Detective Special within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello, Ive been having a craving for a revolver lately (for carry) and wanted you guy's advice. Im a Colt man, and have several, and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: J-Frame or Colt Detective Special

J-Frame or Colt Detective Special

Hello, Ive been having a craving for a revolver lately (for carry) and wanted you guy's advice. Im a Colt man, and have several, and I would like to stay with them. I know they dont make any new compact revolvers, but I was wanting a used Detective Special or equivalant. I have a 'Magnum Carry', but they are just too valuable to be carring around. I like the size and weight, but was wondering if a J-frame would be better suited for carry. I see ALOT of posts on here about the 442's, 642's 340's and so on, but rarely a post about a concealable Colt revolver. Any thoughts?

Jesus said "and if you dont have a sword (AK), sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

2. Remove Ads

I have a Chief's Special, a Model 642, and a Detective Special and they all conceal equally well for me. The Colt is easier for me to shoot well. I keep factory grips on them, even putting the older walnut J-Frame grips on my Model 642 for better concealability. The Colt holds six rounds to the S&W J-Frame's five.

Actually I most often carry 4-inch or 2-inch S&W Model 10 revolvers. They shoot better for me.

If I had your Colt Magnum Carry I'd put it to work.

OD*
    I carry an old Dick Special at times...

Like you said though, Colt D frames are getting to the point where they are almost to valuable to carry (even the ones that have seen better days ).

I like either, I have a couple Smith snubbies I really enjoy too.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

That's a good looking Detective Special OD. Understated elegance. I'm partial to the unshrouded barrel too.

OD*
    Thank you sir.

I call it my Harley Davidson Colt, it has a property room Officers initials HD, lightly scratched on the frame right above the front of the trigger guard (unfortunately it was used in a suicide locally).

~ Tiger McKee

Senior Member Array LoveLeather's Avatar
    If you are using a belt holster most of the time, go for a DS...if you like ankle or pocket carry, go with an airweight j-frame...or get both and switch off...that's half the fun...

For pocket carry, the J frame is a better option. For belt carry, I like the Cobra as it is slightly larger and the 6th shot.

Thanks guys for the input. I like the idea of the 6th round, but Im afraid if I get a nicer condition D-frame Ill just end up keeping it in the safe with the Magnum Carry. Plus I really like the little J-frames, but I just hate switching brands.
    Jesus said "and if you dont have a sword (AK), sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Quote Originally Posted by ak-kev View Post
    Thanks guys for the input. I like the idea of the 6th round, but Im afraid if I get a nicer condition D-frame Ill just end up keeping it in the safe with the Magnum Carry.
    So get one that's cosmetically challenged. You'll save some dinero and you won't feel guilty.

Mi dos centavos,
    Herk

Belt vs. pocket carry

I also have a S&W 642 airweight and a Colt Detective Special. I would agree with previous posters that the Colt is easier to shoot well because of the weight difference (21 ounces Colt, 15 ounces S&W airweight), and that the Colt is better for belt carry, while the S&W excels at pocket carry.

So my pattern is to use the Colt (which I bought new in 1993 for $285) as a belt gun, where it conceals very easily, and the S&W in a pocket. Here is a picture of the Colt in my DeSantis scabbard holster, which resembles a high riding "clamshell" that covers the gun except for the grip. The hammer is covered and does not print on the cover garment, and the gun sits very high relative to the belt.

OD*
    That's a good lookin' Colt, Pogo.

~ Tiger McKee

Senior Member Array LoveLeather's Avatar
    Pogo, I must say that is the first pair of DS grips I have ever seen that look as good or better than the originals....

Here's my 'new' DS... my first Colt. I'm quite happy with it!

I have several S&W revolvers, but did not have a snubby. Looking at S&W's catalog, they simply don't offer a nice, steel, blued snubby anymore, and I dislike the lock anyway, so I was looking for an older S&W snubby when I stumbled upon this DS. Killed two birds with one stone... I now have a snubby, and I now have a Colt revolver.
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

Yes. I am envious. Ill be looking for one at the next show on the 15th. I would prefer a beater so I can carry it without crying about scratches.

Il ike the colt better,but it's too collectable to carry in my opinion. I'd stick with a pre lock s&w for that purpose imho!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links