The best fighting handgun you can own and carry - Page 2

The best fighting handgun you can own and carry

This is a discussion on The best fighting handgun you can own and carry within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've narrowed my "best" handgun down to .... (all have night sights) : Glock : 19, 23, 32, 22, 30SF, 20SF, 21SF 1911 's: Ruger ...

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
Like Tree641Likes

Thread: The best fighting handgun you can own and carry

I've narrowed my "best" handgun down to .... (all have night sights):
    Glock: 19, 23, 32, 22, 30SF, 20SF, 21SF
    1911's: Ruger CMD, Ed Brown Special Forces, Les Baer UTC, Dan Wesson Valor

I'm content to carry any of the listed options (seriously).
    rcsoftexas and msgt/ret like this.
    The minimum is not what I want to defend my life with.

Make mine CZ please and thank you.

Hopefully I'll never own another glock (unless it's a G40, I love 10mm)
    Struckat and bmcgilvray like this.
    Joe was right.

I've owned the following Glocks, 17, 23, 26, and 30. The G30 was the best of the lot, but a brick. Today I don't own any Glocks because there are better choices on the market for a "fighting handgun" IMO. However, one's choice of the best is driven by a multitude of factors, meaning what is right for me may not be right for my best friend. That said, if a Glock was my only choice, I certainly would not turn it down.
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I lean toward Glock .... just pick your caliber and size .. I have been carrying my 27 quite a bit lately

Well since I don't own any Glocks except for my wife's little 43 and we don't have a single 1911 (actually nothing .45) in the house, I guess I'll just be stuck grabbing either my Sig 229 or 226 .

The VP9 we have (its my daughters) is a nice plastic gun but I'd just rather grab what I'm the most familiar with.

You never know one of these days I might just buy a Glock.
    rcsoftexas likes this.
    I like the .40 .

The best fighting handgun you can own and carry-image.jpg

I sometimes carry my 41 .... A fighting pistol

The best fighting handgun you can own and carry-image.jpeg

Sometimes my 29
    rcsoftexas likes this.

To be very honest I came to firearms late in life. At 61 I fired a handgun for the first time. I'll be 67 this July and I have LTC (Formerly CHL) in for renewal. I feel I am a Striker SNOB. Don't have a lot of funds for more firearms . So I have a Few 9mm Glocks and an assortment of Rugers. Glocks seem to work for me. Unless I hit lotto, any future firearm addition would probably be a Glock.
    rcsoftexas likes this.
    Gun culture at its best is rooted in a desire to protect, and especially to protect the people we love-Rachel Lu (University of St. Thomas)

Combat handgun means COMBAT where rifles rule, and pistol only armed will get you killed.

I had rather have 2 or 3-30rd mags for a M-4 as lug around a handgun extra mags and different ammo from my primary fight weapon.

Behind the lines or very low risk areas a handgun is fine and in some cases smaller carry might be better than a service size carry handgun.

I hope if I ever have to go to war again I am not stuck with a handgun only does not matter how serviceable it is.

Of all the handguns presented by OP I would go with the Glock 19-23.
    rcsoftexas likes this.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by searcher 45 View Post
    Combat handgun means COMBAT where rifles rule, and pistol only armed will get you killed.

I had rather have 2 or 3-30rd mags for a M-4 as lug around a handgun extra mags and different ammo from my primary fight weapon.

Behind the lines or very low risk areas a handgun is fine and in some cases smaller carry might be better than a service size carry handgun.

I hope if I ever have to go to war again I am not stuck with a handgun only does not matter how serviceable it is.

Of all the handguns presented by OP I would go with the Glock 19-23.
    I think what is being missed here, and meant in the context of the OP, is that a fighting gun is a handgun because unless you carry a rifle around, you are going to be using what you have.

So therefore, if you are exchanging rounds, you are in a fight, making whatever you have for all intents and purposes a fighting gun.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight"
    -Jeff Cooper

VIP Member
    AND the title says the best fighting HANDGUN........which is pretty specific.

I'm a Glock person also.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Senior Moderator
    Well... hmmm...

I can get the barrel bushing out of the 1911 gun with no special tools in 6.4 seconds. Might get a little further than that with my loosy-goosy World War I 1911.

I really don't care how long it takes me to take down the 1911. I'm still willing to carry it and I'll think of it as one of the very best fighting guns that I can carry. I don't put much stock in the advantages of rapid field stripping. I'll field strip it at home at my leisure rather than right before unleashing it as a fight-stopper. I can get inside a 1911 gun fast enough to suit my purposes.

Glocks are said to work. 1911s have always worked with perfect satisfaction for me. So, I can't say that Glock is superior in doing what it is suppose to do anyway.

I admire the High-Power and think I'd like the CZ-75 and some of the older SIG Sauers. Hey, I still take 2-4 inch K-Frame Smith & Wesson revolvers very seriously as top notch fighting handguns.

I have had a Glock 17 here for a couple of years. It works perfectly. I can't warm up to it and can list several important reasons why I can't. Some folks use the slogan" "You show your 1911s to your friends. You show your Glocks to your enemies!" as their quote at the bottoms of their posts on gun forums.

Mine would be more a theme of: "I show my 1911s to my enemies. I show Glocks the door!"

Handguns are all devices that use self-contained metallic cartridges to fling projectiles. There's less difference in them than we all like to pretend that there is. I just do not see the superiority in the Glock gun. They're for someone else ... and that's fine.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

The best one is the one you have in your hand if you need one. I would put a lot more faith in a shooter with a crappy gun than a tactical yuppie with the latest and greatest.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Distinguished Member Array SouthernBoyVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I think what is being missed here, and meant in the context of the OP, is that a fighting gun is a handgun because unless you carry a rifle around, you are going to be using what you have.

So therefore, if you are exchanging rounds, you are in a fight, making whatever you have for all intents and purposes a fighting gun.
    You are correct with this. My term fighting handgun pretty much meant exactly what you've said here. The term combat handgun comes from a gun writer who used the term to define a sidearm one might be issued or choose when going into combat. I think it's a no-brainer that most anyone knows that a rifle is one's first choice in such situations and the sidearm is used when the rifle is either not accessible or has failed in some manner.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

America First!

Distinguished Member Array SouthernBoyVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonB77 View Post
    The best one is the one you have in your hand if you need one. I would put a lot more faith in a shooter with a crappy gun than a tactical yuppie with the latest and greatest.

Hope you're not calling me a yuppie, son. I'm 71 years old and don't particularly care for yuppies.
    Eric357 likes this.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

America First!

Distinguished Member Array Dave909's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonB77 View Post

If it isn't a crappy shooter with a crappy gun But I do agree that one does not need a Legion to get the job done (not that the Legions are that stellar to begin with from what I hear). If I have to fight and it has to be a handgun, I give the nod to the G19. And not just because I happen to carry it, hehe. It's simple for me, the Glock..while it too has shortcomings..is just as simple as it gets. You get a bang switch to worry about and that is all. It can take some abuse and keep on going because there is less there to go wrong. Why the 19 specifically? Cost to operate, round count and availability of the caliber. Given a solid performing HP, the 9 will "get er done". You also can't ignore the ability to use magazines from the G17 and others. And if you really need to bump it up, Glock makes official 33 round sticks for it.
    HoustonB77, rcsoftexas and gen3 like this.

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links