Which 1911????

This is a discussion on Which 1911???? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am considering buying my first 1911. The primary use for this weapon will be "just to shoot", maybe do some competition shooting, and every ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which 1911????

Which 1911????

I am considering buying my first 1911. The primary use for this weapon will be "just to shoot", maybe do some competition shooting, and every once in a while CCW. I currently carry a G23 and I am extremely happy with it, I just have always wanted a 1911. So my question is, Which 1911 has the best out of box accuracy that i could shoot some begginer competitions without a bunsh of mods. Thanks in advance.
    "Here Newt, It's better to have that and not need it, than to need it and not have it." Woodrow F. Call

2. Remove Ads

What's your price range?

If it were me, I'd look at a Les Baer. I own two a 5" Concept V set up for IDPA etc, and a Stinger for CCW.

Even at $1400-$1800 Baer is a heck of a value in a semi custom 1911. You will not have to tweak, modify, or screw with it as it will be "right" out of the plain brown box.

Chuck
    homo homini lupus est

i was hoping 1000 to 1400
    "Here Newt, It's better to have that and not need it, than to need it and not have it." Woodrow F. Call

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    i was hoping 1000 to 1400
    Sounds like you might want to ride into Kimber country...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

OD*
    I'd second Baer, or in your price range, the Colt Special Combat Government.

http://www.coltsmfg.com/cmci/Special.asp

http://ezine.m1911.org/ColtSCG.htm
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Check out the S&W 1911's.I bought the 5 " model and it is accurate and reliable out of the box. I've shot about 1000 rnds. with no malfunctions. They have some custom features built in and the S&W customer service is A-Plus.Life-time warranty.

Kimber is going to be your best bet. A NIB Kimber Warrior or (if you like the color) Desert Warrior should be in your price range.
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

Springfield Armory TRP.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Les Baer

Les Baer. Hands down. The best value in the 1911 world.

The best out of the box accuracy, built like a tank, gets better with age. For competition shooting and a lot of varying distances at the range, go for the Premier II, as it has adjustable sights. If all you want to do is shoot IDPA and some targets at reasonable distances, there is no advantage to adjustables and the Custom Carry, or TRS are ideal. There are myriad variations on the theme in the Concept line.

Best pricing, service and availability are here.
    "Happiness, is a warm gun" -St. John of Liverpool

Proud to be an infidel.

JD
    Administrator

There's a ton of good options as the above posts indicate, in the price range you're look at it's hard to go wrong.

Any one of the following would get my vote:

Colt Special Combat
    Colt Gunsite
    Any Les Baer
    Springfield Loaded
    Springfield TRP

I haven't been overly thrilled with Kimbers lately, or with some of the examples of S&W 1911's that I've come across. With Kimbers I've been hit and miss with the quality control of the series IIs.

Of all the manufacturers out there, I like think Springfield has the most impressive line up without going full custom like a Les Baer, Wilson or Nighthawk.

Kimber really turned me off with the introduction of the "Tacti-cool, Covert" lineup, the desert camo Crimson Trace grips are laughable at best. It appears that they are going to gimmicks more than good guns, and that upsets me, used to be hard to beat a good Kimber, now, I'm not so sure. If your buying new, not used, go ahead and give Kimber a whirl, their customer service is pretty good if you do end up needing it, but stick with a 5" model in .45ACP for starters.

When it comes to Colt, I don't like the factory options on most of their line up unless you go with the Gunsite or Special Combat, and I find them to be a little overpriced, with a Series 70 reproduction with no enhancements around the same price of a Springfield Loaded model. And as for finish options on the Colts, you've pretty much got stainless, blued, and nickel. Unless you go with a hard chrome model.

I still like Para Ordnance, but as I've stated in previous posts the baked on finish of theirs just doesn't hold up that well.

With the S&W Models, I don't have any first hand shooting experience with them, but I really don't see the justification of the higher price tag on them. I was looking at getting one of the S&W Gunstite Commanders, but there's not really much to it for the 1K price tag.

I bought my Les Baer used for $1300 and it's by far the best 1911 I've ever owned, and I've owned quite a few, and I love it, if they weren't so darn expensive I'd love to have another one.

I've had four or five Para's that I would have kept, but I got bit by the Kimber bug, mainly because of the fact that the Kimbers do look awesome (As long as they don't have digi camo CT grips, my days of fighting in the sandbox are over...)

I still have my first Springfield, and while I was willing to sell my Kimbers my Springfield Loaded is still in the safe, as is my 5" Colt XSE.

The one thing about 1911's is that most factory mags are garbage, so once you decide to buy one, plan on spending about $100 on 4 or 5 good Wilson Combat magazines.

Others may disagree, but these are my opinions on it for what it's worth.

Check out the Para Ordance line on the web. They have a nice selection and there quality is good. Their prices are reasonabe too.
    Mine have not given me any problems.

Semper Fi

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Get a kimber or a springer , and spend the rest of the budget on ammo . Either above brand is a fine starter pistol at a reasonable rate .. once you burn up that above referenced ammo and another year or two you will know what you really need and want in a 1911 . Then you can either have the pistol you own reworked , or just buy a new one setup .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

VIP Member
    There are so many good choices out there.

For under $1000.00, I choose the Springfield Loaded Champion in SS.
    This weapon is very nice, accurate and reliable. I use Wilson magazines with it and have not had a single problem of any kind!

ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

OK, this may rub some Egos' but:

Consider the STI Spartan. I have had and still have some of the most expensive 1911s anybody can own, and I can tell you that you will be shocked when you check out the Spartan. I paid $624.37 for mine at the gun shop, and it has been an awesome gun. Consider the features:

memory beavertail
    adjustable LPA sights w/fiber front
    STI trigger (around 4.75 lbs)
    Custom fitted barrel

I shot this gun and was astounded at the accuracy for a $600 1911. The gun will cut ragged holes all day, and the reliability has been flawless from day one. After 1,500 rounds, the gun is still tight as a drum; If you are just looking for a plinker, or something to use in an IDPA match, this gun will be good to go right out of the box. I have already shot mine in a couple of IDPA matches, and have fared as well as the Springfield-Wilson-Baer crowd, I just forked out a lot less money.

Now, I am in no way bashing those guns, because I own some Springfields, but for 600 bucks, you can't beat it.

Just something to think about.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    Get a kimber or a springer , and spend the rest of the budget on ammo . Either above brand is a fine starter pistol at a reasonable rate .. once you burn up that above referenced ammo and another year or two you will know what you really need and want in a 1911 . Then you can either have the pistol you own reworked , or just buy a new one setup .
    This is great advice.

When I finally buy my 1911 (as some of you, I've been nosing around for advice on one), I'll buy a Springer and shoot the h-e-double hockey sticks out of it and go from there.

cw

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links