What is a Used .40 Glock Worth?

This is a discussion on What is a Used .40 Glock Worth? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My bosses dad just died and he has a .40 Glock I don't know which model. She asked what it was worth. The gun shop ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is a Used .40 Glock Worth?

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar

What is a Used .40 Glock Worth?

My bosses dad just died and he has a .40 Glock I don't know which model. She asked what it was worth. The gun shop here told me they pay $260 for it if it is in perfect shape.

What is it really worth?
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

2. Remove Ads

I bought a used glock 23 for $450 and was extremly happy.It had night sights an a few extra mags to though.

I think it's worth more than 260 bucks if it's in good (or better condition). A good / great condition Glock 23 (.40 compact version) would run you around $380-$400 (new is $485 - $520, IIRC). I should add that night sights and any extra gear is going to bump this price.

Granted, just about any gun store is going to make some money off of a used gun (and there's nothing wrong with making a living), and likely a higher profit margin from used versus new, but I'd say they gave you a pretty low quote. Just my opinion ...

If you have ever wanted a fantastic gun in that caliber (and aren't averse to Glocks) you could do her a favor and buy it from her at a fair price - more than $260, but less than $400. I don't think you'd offend her if you offered her $330 - $350.

cw
    Last edited by Plan B; September 3rd, 2007 at 05:14 PM. Reason: sights

the gun shop is low balling you. the above prices from fatboy 97 are in the ball park.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Just recently attempted to off my like new G27 w/ meprolights at 2 different local gun shops. One offered me $280 and the other $330. Just my experience. They obviously will be looking to make a profit. Probably would resell for around $500.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy Jimmy View Post
    My bosses dad just died and he has a .40 Glock I don't know which model. She asked what it was worth. The gun shop here told me they pay $260 for it if it is in perfect shape.

What is it really worth?
    The key word here is "THEY" They will make a profit on it when they sell it for $400. So if the boss is ready to sell, give him an offer he can't refuse..if not send him to me and I will add it to my GLOCK .40 and have a pair.

VIP Member
    If it is in decent condition it is worth about $400. In fact, I think I could find a person or two to buy it for $400 pretty quickly.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Last years Blue Book (26th Edition) lists Glock 23 MSR $599 - 98%: $425, 95%: $395, and 90%: $365

Hope this helps... I just checked and this the same price for the Glock 27 as well. I've also seen a very good Glock 19 w/night sights at a local gun shop recently that the shop was selling for about $100 less then a NIB.
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

I agree, your not getting fair value, you could sell it on Gunbroker for at least 340-360$ used and people would be jumping.

I recently sold my Glock 23 for $475.00 - I kicked in a holster and some extra mags.

Quote Originally Posted by Plan B View Post
    I think it's worth more than 260 bucks if it's in good (or better condition). A good / great condition Glock 23 (.40 compact version) would run you around $380-$400 (new is $485 - $520, IIRC). I should add that night sights and any extra gear is going to bump this price.

Granted, just about any gun store is going to make some money off of a used gun (and there's nothing wrong with making a living), and likely a higher profit margin from used versus new, but I'd say they gave you a pretty low quote. Just my opinion ...

If you have ever wanted a fantastic gun in that caliber (and aren't averse to Glocks) you could do her a favor and buy it from her at a fair price - more than $260, but less than $400. I don't think you'd offend her if you offered her $330 - $350.

cw
    +1

I'd say that is right on advice.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

It really depends on condition, and generation. At my local gunshop Gen 1&2 Glocks are not hot sellers. Mechanically they are pretty much identical, but never the less the Gen 3 has features that the Gen 1&2 do not have (rail, finger grooves, etc.) depending on demand, and condition, it might be worth less than you think. But still, $260 is low for most glocks, and they are probably trying to lo-ball her. Just something to think about.
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at...

JD
    Administrator

Lightbulb

Any gun shop is not going to give you what the gun is worth, they are in the business to make profit, if she's looking to sell it quick, she needs to go to three or four shops get everyones price and go with the highest offer.

If they give someone what it's worth, they'd have to mark the gun up to the price of a new gun, and it will never sell, that's how gunshops make money. On average, if you look at any used gun, subtract $100-$200 of the tag price, that's what someone got for that gun.

If she really wants to sell it and get her moneys worth, you're better off taking some pics of it and listing it for sale here.

Or if the shops in that area do consignment, that's not a total rip-off, but she'll still get less money for it due to the fact that she'll have to pay a percentage to the shop for selling the gun for her.

Run an ad in the paper. Should be able to get at least $350 for a Gen l in good condition. Most I see in the paper around here, sell in the $400 range. I would't pay that much, but lots of people will.
    str1

I would buy all the "perfect shape" GLOCKs I could FIND for $260, regardless of the Generation or Model. At a guaranteed profit of $100 per gun, I would sell-out quickly & then pay cash for my Son's College Tuition.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links