Sig 1911 - opinions?

Sig 1911 - opinions?

This is a discussion on Sig 1911 - opinions? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A poster in another post (I didn't want to hijack the other thread) mentioned that no one ever offers opinions on the 1911s by SIG. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sig 1911 - opinions?

A poster in another post (I didn't want to hijack the other thread) mentioned that no one ever offers opinions on the 1911s by SIG. I find that curious also. Given how many 1911 fans / gurus we have on board, you'd think at least a few of you have handled a few and have an opinion one way or the other.

My default opinion, without ever having handled OR shot a SIG 1911, is that based on SIG's reputation, and my own experience with other SIGs, it would have to be of moderate to good quality (if not excellent). But again, I wouldn't know.

Thoughts?

cw

VIP Member
    I rented a GSR. It was dirty. It would not run more than 3 rounds without a malfunction. Did I mention it was dirty.

I had 100 rds of ammo for it and practiced clearing it more than shooting it. I was so proficient at clearing it my brother usually couldn't tell I was clearing it. Good training, not a good shooting experience.

Did I mention it was dirty. Only reason I can come up with for it functioning so poorly.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

I have a SIG Revolution Carry in stainless that, so far, I absolutely love. I have put about 350-400 rounds through it with only two stoppages that were caused by the ammo. It is EXTREMELY accurate and is built like a tank. Having said this, I have also heard (via the internet) horror stories about the GSR series. I do not know anyone who purchased one that was a lemon. The shop I bought mine at said that they have not had any problems with the ones that they sold. I have owned a total of 9 1911 type pistols (still have 6), from stock military to full raceguns, and I am most pleased with the SIG.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg in VA View Post
    I have a SIG Revolution Carry in stainless that, so far, I absolutely love. I have put about 350-400 rounds through it with only two stoppages that were caused by the ammo. It is EXTREMELY accurate and is built like a tank. Having said this, I have also heard (via the internet) horror stories about the GSR series. I do not know anyone who purchased one that was a lemon. The shop I bought mine at said that they have not had any problems with the ones that they sold. I have owned a total of 9 1911 type pistols (still have 6), from stock military to full raceguns, and I am most pleased with the SIG.
    Greg,

So you'd say that from a price and performance perspective they're up with the other mid-tier (by mid-tier I mean Springer, Kimber, STI, RIA, etc.)? I'm not talking about the $1500+ crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by Plan B View Post
    Greg,

So you'd say that from a price and performance perspective they're up with the other mid-tier (by mid-tier I mean Springer, Kimber, STI, RIA, etc.)? I'm not talking about the $1500+ crowd.
    I have not torn down a Kimber or STI so I couldn't talk about the quality of their internals, but as for the other two, I would choose the SIG. IMO, with the SIG, you are getting a lot for your money.

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    I've got a GSR.

It is a SCARY accurate pistol. Really. Bull's Eye shooter's dream.

But it won't shoot the cheap stuff worth a darn...jams every magazine or so on junk food. Must be manufactured with very tight tolerances. Gotta feed it the good stuff.
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    I have a GSR I use for pin shooting. No malfs until it gets REALLY dirty (hundreds of rounds). Well put together, good trigger, accurate as any of the 1911's I compete against. I got mine for about $850. My understanding is that it is all quality parts, an 80 series safety, and a non-standard slide profile (needs specific holster). I've retired my BHP in favor of it.

Oh, and I shoot Blazer Al cased rounds through it. No problems.

Senior Moderator
    Shot the Revolution C3 Compact and LOVED it. Our Sig Reps came in and let us shoot anything we wanted. I picked that gun because.... well... it's a 1911 and it's a commander size barrel and slide on an officer's frame.

It was very accurate and shot very well with no malfunctions. I wouldn't mind adding one to my 1911 collection at all.

Given how many 1911 gurus we have on board, you'd think at least a few of you have handled a few and have an opinion one way or the other.
    I think I'm safe in speaking for myself, aswell as my bretheren, OD and Bud White. We do not consider these to be 1911s.
    "Happiness, is a warm gun" -St. John of Liverpool

Proud to be an infidel.

GSR

We have not had good luck with the full size GSR on our rental range. Frequently fails to go into battery, extremely dirt sensitive, and minor parts breakage.

Quote Originally Posted by randytulsa2 View Post
    I've got a GSR.

It is a SCARY accurate pistol. Really. Bull's Eye shooter's dream.

But it won't shoot the cheap stuff worth a darn...jams every magazine or so on junk food. Must be manufactured with very tight tolerances. Gotta feed it the good stuff.
    I have a Gen 1 GSR and yes it was (don't know about the later 'Revolution' guns) was well known to be hand built to close tolerances.
    I've found that it is sensitive to lube and dirt. Run it dry and boom you'll have cycling problems. Let it get dirty and boom you'll have cycling problems. It'll always go BOOM while errors thereafter will be a result of maintenance.

Agreed it is stupid accurate box stock and I use mine for Bullseye.
    It's too heavy to carry on the street for more than a couple hours and the bugger is with that front rail is a sizeable sidearm.

As to who ever had indicated to the OP that no one ever talks about their opinion of the GSR, that person must be illiterate.
    The GSR has had _tons_ of press and conversation by owners and non-owners alike since year one. This forum has had conversation about it multiple times ('Search') and I'd be willing to bet that every gun-fu forum on the internet has atleast 3 threads toward it as well.
    It's been a very controversial piece of hardware and is IMHO and my own ownership experience an excellent example of a 1911.
    One just needs to go in with the understanding that it is not a Glock and does require regular maintenance which includes lube and not being allowed to get gunked up with an overly amount of crud.

- Janq loves his GSR!
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by Ping Ping View Post
    I think I'm safe in speaking for myself, aswell as my bretheren, OD and Bud White. We do not consider these to be 1911s.
    Really? As I've pointed out previously, I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to 1911s - why don't you consider the Sig 1991 Revolution series to be representative of a 1911? Thanks!

cw

The only thing different about them from any other modern day 1911 including my own other two Colt and SA is that the slide has a more squared profile (requiring a specific holster) and it at the time was one of the first to come up with a rail on it's dustguard which then was controversial.
    Now days most everybody has a railed 1911 and Sig now offers the Revolution with and without a rail. The slide profile remains to be somewhat squared. That is really the only difference and it's totally cosmetic.

It's as real a 1911 as a TRP or Kimber 1911.* or my Colt Defender.
    GSR/Revolution parts and components are completely interchangeable with any other 1911.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Really? As I've pointed out previously, I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to 1911s - why don't you consider the Sig 1991 Revolution series to be representative of a 1911? Thanks!

cw
    Actually, I was kidding.

Sigs basically run like a 1911 and have some more or less spec parts. The frames are a little funky, so holstering can be an issue.
    "Happiness, is a warm gun" -St. John of Liverpool

Proud to be an infidel.

I have a SIG Revolution and a Para 1911, both stainless. Basically other than the rail on the SIG, they are the same gun. Both fit my hand the same and both are very accurate, though I shoot better with the SIG. I've never had problems with the SIG and I've put several thousand rounds through it. (lost count a while back.)

My only gripe on the SIG is that the rail does not allow it to fit properly in my 1911 holster. I will be getting a separate holster for it.

I don't carry it concealed because it is too heavy to lug all day, but it is a sweet shooting gun. The only other .45 that I have the shoots as well as this gun is a SIG P220 in stainless.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links