Pre-Owned Sig

This is a discussion on Pre-Owned Sig within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; First off, I am sorta new to the forum, this is my first post. I want to thank you all in advance for answering my ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pre-Owned Sig

Exclamation Pre-Owned Sig

First off, I am sorta new to the forum, this is my first post. I want to thank you all in advance for answering my question...

My brother-in-law (packinnova) is a regular poster and reader here he directed me to this site...

To the topic I want to discuss... After much consideration I am planning on taking classes for my CCW, the wife will probably come along as well. I obviously intend to purchase a weapon for myself (and one for her later...but her gun is another topic that which I care not to address right now.)

I am trying to keep the expenses low if at all possible. I have read on this site and others like it that most people end up changing their first concealed weapon after a few months to a year because they did not know what they really liked.

I very much so like the Sig 226 9mm. It fits well in my hand, I am very comfortable shooting it, I like its weight and so on...

So the question I would like to put out to you all is...

What is your opinion of purchasing the Certified Pre-Owned / Factory Refurbished Sig as a first time carry weapon? Has anyone had problems with them as far as reliability, broken components, jamming issues...???

Reason why I am considering it I think is fairly obvious New - $700 to $900 depending on options and where you buy it, Used - $300 to $600.

I know there are other guns out there that are less expensive brand new, but I have not found anything that I reallllly like as much as the Sig (as of right now). So yes, I am stuck on the Sig.

Please be aware, I am not trying to be cheep. I would just rather spend that extra few $$$ on a range membership, ammo, and additional training than some "fancy bells and whistles" or bragging rights that I purchased new. That being said, I do not want to sacrifice reliability and safety.

Your thoughts, personal stories, general advice for first time carry are welcomed and appreciated.

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    Firstly - welcome to the board

My EDC is a SIG 226 ST in 9mm and has been now for well over two years. I did buy it new but can say that as a carry platform I have yet to better it - and I have carried a good many different guns over the years.

I would say that if you can find a certified pre-owned then you will obviously save a good bit - and probably not lose out at all. You will not have any significant break in to worry about and barring extreme bad luck, should have yourself a fine carry piece.

It is important to buy and carry what you like and what suits you - and if this meets your choice criteria then go for it. In fact I am all for finding and buying a good quality pre-owned whether a first gun or not - it can save a lot of cash and leave you better options to buy holster, ammo and good belt etc.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I don't see why it would be any different than purchasing any other used gun. I'm not all that familiar with SIGs, but if you check out the gun BEFORE purchase and possibly get some kind of warranty, than I don't see a problem. If you are not sure how to check out the gun, bring someone knowledgeable with you. I've purchased a number of my guns as used, but NOT abused. Most times folks simply bought something they later decided did not suit them and sold it or traded it. Buying NEW is not the thing, getting a GOOD DEAL is.

If you can chose a gun you like, are comfortable shooting and carrying the first time out of the box, so much the better. Then the search for the PERFECT holster begins. That can get expensive too.
    Most times you won't know what works until you try it yourself. Everyone is different, so what works for Tom, may not work for Harry. I've had a bunch of holsters over the years. Be sure to also get yourself a good quality gun belt to carry your holster and gun, it will make things so much easier. Your everyday dress belt just was not designed to carry and support the gun and holster.

Welcome to the world of gun ownership and concealed carry, stay safe and good luck.

Nkan,

Welcome from FL's Space Coast.

No help from me on the Sig, except that if it is factory certified, you're probably fine.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

The valley of the sun scorched earth(Phx,Az)
    The only problem(if you can really call it a problem) with buying a Sig is you won't be able to stop. I have 4(225,228,230, and a CPO 220) Sig's now. They are very reliable firearms. You won't be disappointed if you buy a CPO Sig, they do come with a 1 year warranty just in case, but I have NEVER known anyone need the warranty on a Sig(new or CPO). I have many thousands of rounds thru my 228 without even 1 problem. I just bought the 220 so I haven't been able to take it out and shoot it yet(too hot). I hope this helps a little in your decision.
    NRA Life Member USCCA Member

Freedoms Precious Metals:Gold, Silver and Lead

"You may find me one day dead in a ditch somewhere. But by God, you'll find me in a pile of brass."~~ Tpr. M. Padgett

Kimber Tactical Pro II w/EE over 2000 rnds NO MALFUNCTIONS

Lead Moderator
    First welcome.

I don't think there is much of a down side to buying a SIG factory refurbished pistol. If I recall they are actually have a warrantee in case something goes wrong. You can also check out SIGForum, but I can't recall anything bad about refurb's being said over there either.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Welcome from Central Cali.

I was looking for a used Sig for the wife a while back and I may be wrong but I think the Factory CPO's come with a warranty. I have bought several used guns and I think you are spot on in your approach.

Good luck!
    Lex et Libertas Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

Welcome!...CPO SIGs are good to go. I have a couple of friends who bought CPO P229s and P226s--I'd be more than happy with a CPO P239. You can't go wrong with the SIG.

Basically, the armorers at sig replace screws, pins, and springs--but it will still have ring marks on the receiver and the slide may have some wear. Don't let that detract you from purchasing. Go for it!!

I appreciate all the responses. One of my now former friends a few months ago was trying to persuade me from buying it. Questioning its overall reliability, the rings on the barrel, and so on. I think it was more along the lines of a pride/general appearances thing in his mind than anything else. He was and still is a superficial a-hole. However his comments to me did cause me to question the CPO Sig.

As a side thought, I seriously doubt that Sig would want any lawsuits coming their way if their product (CPO) was faulty or unreliable. Therefore they must put out a fairly decent product.

I know several LEO's who have bought the CPO Sig's with absolutely no problems or regrets. Sig has made top quality weapons for many years. Reliability and accuracy have never been an issue with the Sig line of handguns. 20 years ago they were considered by many to be the "Top of the Line" production weapon. I'm a 1911 person but I would have absolutely no problems with having a Sig as a duty or self defense weapon, in fact a P239 9mm is what I bought for my daughter as her home defense weapon (so obviously I trust them). I also believe the CZ line of weapons is a good choice for economy minded people who want a reliable and accurate weapon.
    Good Luck
    A Wise Man Changes His Mind, but a Fool Never Does

Used Sigs are generally pretty good

I have two Sigs that I bought used from the previous owners (not CPO from Sig) - a P229 in .40 caliber and a P226 in 9mm. Both have run very well for the 8 or so years I have owned them. I think that Sigs in general are such a solid, high quality brand that used guns in good condition will usually give many more years of additional service. So you might want to consider used Sigs bought from a previous owner, as well as the Certified Pre-Owned items that Sig sells through dealers. Just be careful to inspect the used gun well before buying it.

Regarding your comment that you might use a P226 for concealed carry - these are pretty good sized guns and not the easiest to conceal. I have experimented with carrying mine, and found that I preferred something smaller and easier to conceal. The model P239, for example, comes in the same calibers as the P226 but is easier to hide on your body.

Well, as far as marks go. If you buy new and then USE it, it will get some wear marks and look no different from one you buy USED to begin with. A carry gun will get some holster wear and other bruises along the way. Also being a carry gun, you should shoot it often to stay proficient with it. It will not be a collectible sitting in the safe.

Sure, I like my guns to look pretty too, but a working gun is not going to keep its good looks for long.

+1 sass20485

If you buy used (i.e CPO), you're buying a factory certified refurbished pistol. Tell your friend to get bent. You can always get a new finish put on the pistol and you can buy a new barrel from SIG...there's an extra cost associated, but in that case, go buy new.

The CPO should be just fine...after you fire a couple of mages through it, you'll forget it was used.

Administrator
    I don't see a problem with buying a factory refurbished SIG.
    A ton of people are buying them up.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    The 226 is a wonderful firearm, and I had a lengthy discussion with the salesperson concerning factory refurbished Sigs. He said the only problem with them is he can't get enough of them, and I have no reason to doubt him since he is not the owner, and has nothing to gain by telling me something that's not true. They virtually never get returned because of problems, and I literally saw about a dozen that sold within a two week period.
    That said, you should also concider the p-239 which is the smallest of the large caliber guns that Sig makes. It is what I carry, and I really would not want to carry anything bigger, but you would not go wrong with any Sig.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links