New gun for a new shooter

This is a discussion on New gun for a new shooter within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just found and began posting here last week when I finally decided to purchase a handgun. I have to say, I come from a ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New gun for a new shooter

New gun for a new shooter

I just found and began posting here last week when I finally decided to purchase a handgun. I have to say, I come from a family that doesn't have any guns, nor do any of my friends, really. I have always been intrigued by firearms and thus it has always been a desire of mine to have one. Anyway, long story short, after about 15 years of waiting I finally bought one. (I am 21 and have to be 21 in FL to buy a handgun). I went to the range the same day that I picked it up and my father came along. It was only his 2nd time shooting a handgun, but he had as much fun as I did. Looks like he may be in for a purchase in the near future as well!

I bought a 9mm Baby Eagle (polymer - and yes, I know it's "plastic" ) As soon as my CWP application comes in the mail (I actually had to order a copy because they don't let you print it out and the police dept. doesn't have any right now) I'm going to get my prints done and the wait is 2-4 weeks. I will carry frequently, but not daily because 1. prohibited at work and 2. prohibited on campus (not even the parking lots or driving through!)

Anyway, my expectations were exceeded, needless to say.
    Attached Images

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Glad you've joined us and started the process of getting your permit...

I've not fired the Baby Eagle, but they seem like an impressive firearm...
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

Welcome to the SheepDog side of the fence.

CCWINNC
    CCWINNC

HK P2000 .40SW
    Para Ord Tac 4 .45acp
    XD 9 Service
    XD 9 SC
    Taurus 651 .357 mag

Assistant Administrator
    Good start - and I hope your wait for the permit is not too long.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Congrats & Welcome! Now the IMPORTANT QUESTION...How did your new Baby Eagle handle & shoot?
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Thank you all!

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    Good start - and I hope your wait for the permit is not too long.
    I have been waiting a week just for the application and it seems like a lifetime

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    Congrats & Welcome! Now the IMPORTANT QUESTION...How did your new Baby Eagle handle & shoot?
    It handled very well. Within 15 yards I was quite accurate for my first time shooting a handgun (I skeet shoot). The gun is very comfortable and feels like it's well made. I put 100 rounds through it and will probably put another 200 through it on Friday afternoon when I go. All in all, I would rate it a 10 out of 10 - I have no complaints whatsoever!

Train... train often and as well as you can afford.

Senior Moderator
    Train and become a good Sheepdog
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Lead Moderator
    Nice to see another on board with CC and gun ownership. Nothing wrong w/ polymer pistols, either. Enjoy your new pistol.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

The Baby Eagle doesn't seem to be a popular choice among posters here. I can't see why...

Anyone know??

Good for you, now decide on how you want to carry, buy a holster that will allow you to and choose SD ammo that functions reliably in your pistol. Get as much training as you can afford and use this forum to get answers to any questions you have. Now you are able to protect yourself and your family.
    What you think you know.... Can kill you!

You don't see a lot of folks with Baby Eagles, though you will with CZ's in general which is what the BE's were modeled after. My experience with them has been great. They are super reliable and a very accurate shooter. The only thing I don't care for is because of the smaller slide profile there's less to get a grip on in order to rack the slide, but that is just me.
    Mine: Glock 36............Wife's: Ruger SP101 3"
    -------Ruger SR9....................Ruger SR9c
    -------S&W SW99 .45.............Charter Arms Undercover

Hidden Defense - Personal gun & holster designs/reviews.

IMI (Israeli Military Industries) is marketed in the U.S. by Magnum Research. Unlike GLOCK, S&W, Beretta, etc., Magnum Research doesn't represent a wide selection of CCW-type handguns (the Desert Eagle certainly doesn't qualify). As a result, most Permit Packers aren't too familiar with the Baby Eagles because they haven't looked much at MR to FIND one. Also, the Tanfaglio (Italian) clone of the CZ75 (on which your pistol is based) is available from a number of more commonly known manufacturers. Everything I've read about IMI products have been positive. I also enjoyed shooting a Jerrico once. But, again, it felt so much like a CZ75 that it didn't prompt me to go find one. So the lack of information from fans of the Baby Eagle isn't a result of bad experience, but rather more a result of limited exposure. We're counting on you to make us Baby Eagle fans!

Your Avatar suggests that you might have picked an Israeli manufacturer for more "personal" reasons, right?
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by ev239 View Post
    My experience with them has been great. They are super reliable and a very accurate shooter. The only thing I don't care for is because of the smaller slide profile there's less to get a grip on in order to rack the slide, but that is just me.
    Good to know. I have been trying to break-in the slide a little and have no problem with it. I bought the gun sight-unseen and was overly impressed with it because of it's quality, but especially because I usually am not totally enthralled by something I buy online (through gunbroker.com).

IMI (Israeli Military Industries) is marketed in the U.S. by Magnum Research. Unlike GLOCK, S&W, Beretta, etc., Magnum Research doesn't represent a wide selection of CCW-type handguns (the Desert Eagle certainly doesn't qualify). As a result, most Permit Packers aren't too familiar with the Baby Eagles because they haven't looked much at MR to FIND one. Also, the Tanfaglio (Italian) clone of the CZ75 (on which your pistol is based) is available from a number of more commonly known manufacturers. Everything I've read about IMI products have been positive. I also enjoyed shooting a Jerrico once. But, again, it felt so much like a CZ75 that it didn't prompt me to go find one. So the lack of information from fans of the Baby Eagle isn't a result of bad experience, but rather more a result of limited exposure. We're counting on you to make us Baby Eagle fans!
    Good points ghost, and I will certainly make my best effort to provide the best and msot accurate and unbiased review I can make!!

Your Avatar suggests that you might have picked an Israeli manufacturer for more "personal" reasons, right?
    I can't even lie, you caught me

I shot the Baby Eagle 45 steel version. I must say, no other gun I have ever held felt more like a natural extension of the hand than the BE. I think my loaded operator shoots a bit smoother but that BE was a darn comfortable gun.

It is on "THE LIST." Highly RECOMMEND steel version. Never touched one of the polymer versions so I can't say much about them.
    Lex et Libertas — Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links