Kahr PM9/PM40/PM45

This is a discussion on Kahr PM9/PM40/PM45 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have noticed many of you carry the Kahr pm9. Three questions. Does anybody have anything good/bad to say about the .40 or even newer ...

Thread: Kahr PM9/PM40/PM45

Question Kahr PM9/PM40/PM45

I have noticed many of you carry the Kahr pm9. Three questions. Does anybody have anything good/bad to say about the .40 or even newer .45, and are they just too much gun for the size and weight? Has anybody had the black tungsten DLC finish versus the stainless? Lastly, how do they compare as pocket gun versus a j-frame or p3-at/naa guardian?
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

2. Remove Ads

I currently pocket carry a PM9 regularly without an issue. I have no problems shooting it. It is a great little package. It is definitely bigger than P-3at, but thinner than a J Frame (around cylinder). I feel more comfortable with 7 rounds of 9mm +p from 3" barrel than 7 rounds .380 or 5 rounds .38 from 2" barrel.
    I owned a P45, wound up getting rid of it. I found the recoil to be very stout (i.e. slow f/u shots) and just did not shoot it well. (I own Glock and Colt 45s and various 40s). I have never shot a Kahr .40, but others have reported it to be quite snappy. From my experiences, I believe the 9mm is the best caliber for those Kahr pistols.

I do own a P-3at, which I rarely carry, but do like a lot . Those NAA's are heavy for their caliber.

I currently have an NAA guardian .380. I like it but I just have the "JONES" for something new. I am currently saving for that something. Besides, I am going to send off the NAA for a gutter snipe, tritium system, and it is an excuse to buy another BUG. I have narrowed it down to a M&P 340, a PM9 or an HK p2000sk in .357 sig. The 340 is appealing somewhat because it has a steel cylinder and maybe would counterbalance the weight (or lack thereof) of the scandium frame, unlike the 340 pd which is scandium with a titanium cylinder. Other friends of mine say the light weight is nice but absolutely punishes the shooter. I do like the looks of the pm9 though. I am thinking Black tungsten coating with night sights.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Steel instead of polymer?

Quote Originally Posted by slimjim View Post
    I owned a P45, wound up getting rid of it. I found the recoil to be very stout (i.e. slow f/u shots) and just did not shoot it well. (I own Glock and Colt 45s and various 40s). I have never shot a Kahr .40, but others have reported it to be quite snappy. From my experiences, I believe the 9mm is the best caliber for those Kahr pistols.
    I would agree that the polymer Kahrs are easiest to shoot well in the 9mm caliber, and that shooting .40 or .45 in a gun weighing about 18 or 20 ounces is a real challenge.

If you want a Kahr in .40 that is more controllable, you could look at the all steel versions, the MK40 or K40. These weigh about 25 ounces empty and have a different weight distribution, putting more weight in the frame than the polymer models. They would be heavy for pocket carry but fine on the belt.

JD
    Administrator
    I had a PM40 that I liked, the recoil wasn't half as bad as I thought it would be, the black finish was durable.

I didn't pocket carry it in a front pocket, but it worked well pocket carrying it in my back pocket.

I eventually sold it to buy a rifle I wanted...but not because I didn't like the gun.

Of the average pocket autos it has the highest caliber, so I'd take it over a .32, or even a J-Frame .38 or Ruger SP101.

I don't pocket carry my .380s at all, so I'm leaving them off of the list. I just love my Colt Mustang (also not your average pocket auto)
    too much to go back to the Kahr.

PM45

Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    Does anybody have anything good/bad to say about the .40 or even newer .45
    I receive an email from Kahr yesterday stating that the PM45 will not be shipping untill November.
    Stand up for what's right..... Even if you stand alone.

Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    I would agree that the polymer Kahrs are easiest to shoot well in the 9mm caliber, and that shooting .40 or .45 in a gun weighing about 18 or 20 ounces is a real challenge.
    Well.... the smaller framed .45 must be a handful. I own the TP45 and it has got to be one of the softest recoil pistols I have shot and it weighs 18 ounces w/o the magazine. I feel that it has less recoil than my all steel Para p12.45 LDA with the 3.5 in. barrel.
    In all...the TP45 is a pussycat to shoot.
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I have both the pm9 and the p9 and like them . Recoil is mild allowing me to place shots faster than anything that recoils more . Given modern hp ammo i really dont feel that there is a lot of difference in cals of .38 spcial or 9mm thro .45acp as far as terminal performance goes so i tend to shoot light recoiling for defense ( some effects of years of abusive living helps with this choice also ) . Note tho with ball ammo i want the biggest diameter round pistol that i could possibly stuff down a pantleg .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Links