Full Size 1911 As EDC CCW

This is a discussion on Full Size 1911 As EDC CCW within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Howdy, How many of you full time CCW a full sized 1911 Colt .45 Gov't Model type? I have a decent El Paso Saddlery Crosshair ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Full Size 1911 As EDC CCW

Howdy,

How many of you full time CCW a full sized 1911 Colt .45 Gov't Model type?

I have a decent El Paso Saddlery Crosshair OWB holster and live in AZ so open carry if I get noticed not an issue but it certainly prints with my build and wardrobe.

Do you carry IWB or OWB?

If IWB what holster is your choice?

I CCW an XDs 3.3 with an IWB Crossbreed Super Tuck and it disappears both by eye and feel. I am experiencing accuracy issues under stress and time drills and considering the switch to my Colt. 5" v. 3.3" substantial. Not to mention .45 v. 9mm!

Thanks,

Aztex

Distinguished Member Array Chuck R.'s Avatar
    Not anymore, but when I did:

I consider them essential 40+ ounce EDC "enablers"......

Chuck
    Bad Bob and hardluk1 like this.
    homo homini lupus est

Quote Originally Posted by Aztex View Post
    Howdy,

How many of you full time CCW a full sized 1911 Colt .45 Gov't Model type?

I have a decent El Paso Saddlery Crosshair OWB holster and live in AZ so open carry if I get noticed not an issue but it certainly prints with my build and wardrobe.

Do you carry IWB or OWB?

If IWB what holster is your choice?

I CCW an XDs 3.3 with an IWB Crossbreed Super Tuck and it disappears both by eye and feel. I am experiencing accuracy issues under stress and time drills and considering the switch to my Colt. 5" v. 3.3" substantial. Not to mention .45 v. 9mm!

Thanks,

Aztex
    I carry my Colt 1911 when dress and activity allow.

For the majority of edc the G26 gets the job, being much easier to properly conceal when engaged in more vigorous activities that require less cover garment material.
    The 442 j frame gets the nod for carry when pocket carry is the best practical means of concealment.

While the 1911 is or does seem to possess the best mechanical accuracy, I find no practical difference in what can be done with a full size or compact out to 30 yards or so.

Caliber? While there are certain inherent benefits of a large caliber, I believe it is a huge mistake to use that as a stand alone reason for choosing a weapon system.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight"
    -Jeff Cooper

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Sponsor
    Carried a milspec SA full time for 28 years in a restrictive state where if you printed and got called on it, you lost the license and maybe the gun. Often times carried two milspecs, depending on AO that day/week. Back then it was iwb strong side, second milspec in cross draw when jackets/suits would be in use.
    Eric357, molleur and PhaedrusIV like this.
    The mind is the limiting factor

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

VIP Member
    I routinely carry a full sized 1911 OWB with an untucked shirt. Sometimes I'll carry a Commander size.
    Only called once in 30 years for printing, and that was a LEO in a restaurant that was interested in the firearm.

Interestingly enough, my daughter is coming over to borrow the full size 1911 today. She shoots a .40 and 9mm several time a week.
    We had a discussion about time/distance and point shooting. She wants me to give her some instruction on the "scoop draw" tonight.
    Proud of her, she's a RSO. She's good too. Head shots from an OWB draw in about two seconds at 15 yards using her Glock. Front sight only.
    I'm getting her to focus on her target, both eyes open and concentrating on grip more. We'll have a very good point shooter soon me thinks.
    PhaedrusIV and Eric357 like this.
    "Don't shout for help at night, you may wake your neighbors"

I also carry a 1911 in 4 1/4'' or the 5'' barrel every day.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

Senior Moderator
    Milt Sparks Summer Special II for carrying the 1911s IWB.
    Eric357, PhaedrusIV, PJH and 1 others like this.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Milt Sparks Summer Special II for carrying the 1911s IWB.
    Forgot to mention, back in the day that was the only iwb worth using. And it's still one of the best designs for concealing a 1911.
    PJH, SatCong, Eric357 and 1 others like this.
    The mind is the limiting factor

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

I tell you what, weight aside, a 1911 is about the easiest gun to conceal. I carried a full size for quite some time and I had a much easier time with clothing and concealment. She might be long, but she's skinny and seems to be shaped just right for practically every body type out there. Even the weight doesn't matter so much if you start thinking about some of the plastic fantastics out there that can weigh damn close to 38 ounces or so fully loaded. Add in carrying a couple of extra loaded magazines to your hip and you've got even more weight to deal with. Capacity, now that's a different issue.
    drmordo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave909 View Post
    I tell you what, weight aside, a 1911 is about the easiest gun to conceal. I carried a full size for quite some time and I had a much easier time with clothing and concealment. She might be long, but she's skinny and seems to be shaped just right for practically every body type out there. Even the weight doesn't matter so much if you start thinking about some of the plastic fantastics out there that can weigh damn close to 38 ounces or so fully loaded. Add in carrying a couple of extra loaded magazines to your hip and you've got even more weight to deal with. Capacity, now that's a different issue.
    While I do agree that a 1911 is flatter and easier to conceal iwb or OWB, it is limited in application of carry to many people due to length for AIWB.

As for a polymer gun being heavier, I think there are a couple of things to come consider.
    No polymer gun empty, weighs as much as an empty steel 1911. The 1911 starts at the weight of a fully loaded poly gun of equal or comparative size.
    Load the 1911 with a steel mag and half the capacity and you are well above the weight of a polymer gun fully loaded.
    Extra mags for a hi cap polymer gun that is well known for reliability are not needed if you are use to a 1911 and one extra mag....you will have the same capacity +1 with a polymer gun.
    Chuck R. and Dave909 like this.
    -Jeff Cooper

I sometimes carry my Government Model when I am using my shoulder holster. If I'm carrying IWB, I carry a Lightweight Commander.
    Cheers!

Joe
    NRA Benefactor Member
    Fortīs fortūna adiuvat

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    While I do agree that a 1911 is flatter and easier to conceal iwb or OWB, it is limited in application of carry to many people due to length for AIWB.

As for a polymer gun being heavier, I think there are a couple of things to come consider.
    No polymer gun empty, weighs as much as an empty steel 1911. The 1911 starts at the weight of a fully loaded poly gun of equal or comparative size.
    Load the 1911 with a steel mag and half the capacity and you are well above the weight of a polymer gun fully loaded.
    Extra mags for a hi cap polymer gun that is well known for reliability are not needed if you are use to a 1911 and one extra mag....you will have the same capacity +1 with a polymer gun.
    Well, I don't consider AIWB the most sound carry method, so I'll agree with you there, the 1911 is problematic for that specific setup.
    glockman10mm likes this.

PJH
    Not everyday, but I carry a 5" Springfield Lightweight pretty frequently under a T-shirt in a Summer Special II. I've been wearing it all day today, in fact.

Thanks guys!

I've been carrying mine all day in the EPS Crosshair OWB and more comfortable than XDs IWB!

It's got a couple "sharp" edges so it can dig in a little but not bad.

Since I'm in AZ I don't have to sweat the open carry issue.

I had a Commander while back and didn't find the size difference made much of an impact carry wise and no sense in spending $$$ to shave off .75"

Shot MUCH better with it than my XDs at the range today!

Thanks,

LC
    Dave909 and glockman10mm like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Aztex View Post
    Thanks guys!

I've been carrying mine all day in the EPS Crosshair OWB and more comfortable than XDs IWB!

It's got a couple "sharp" edges so it can dig in a little but not bad.

Since I'm in AZ I don't have to sweat the open carry issue.

I had a Commander while back and didn't find the size difference made much of an impact carry wise and no sense in spending $$$ to shave off .75"

Shot MUCH better with it than my XDs at the range today!

Thanks,

LC
    Thats all that matters!
    -Jeff Cooper

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links