Defensive Carry banner

New Colt Commander 1911 Lightweight

3K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  rocky 
#1 ·
Well I couldn't resist the urge. I was in my local gun shop the other day and saw a Colt 1911 I fell for. She was made in the 80's, with a bunch of work done like: a hammer guard, Ed Brown barrel, new clip release post, hogue grips, 4 lb pull trigger, as well as newer sight. I paid $580, the asking price for it that day. Impulse buying is not always a good way to go, but I liked the gun. Anyone out there think I paid too much?

#3 ·
As long as the work was done right (and done by a pro) you did not pay too much.
Pics would sure help.
Ed brown barrels are nice. :yup:
The real test as to if you got a super great deal or a "not so good" deal will be in the shooting of it and how the gun feeds and functions.
If the gun is accurate and it feeds and cycles properly then you got a super deal for yourself.

#4 ·
You can never pay too much for a gun...:image035:
If you think you may have, consider it a donation to our cause...:yup:
What you DID get sounds reasonable to me, certainly not a 'con job!' OMO

#5 ·
Modified Commander pricing

She was made in the 80's, with a bunch of work done like: a hammer guard, Ed Brown barrel, new clip release post, hogue grips, 4 lb pull trigger, as well as newer sight. I paid $580, the asking price for it that day.
I think you did quite well. A stock Colt often requires some aftermarket parts to make it better, and you got a gun that somebody already improved, at some expense to themselves. It sounds like there is $200 worth of parts and gunsmithing in that Commander. A Commander in good condition will generally sell in the $600 and up range these days, so you got the improvements for free.

#7 ·
Key is in what QK said. It can have all kinds of neat aftermarket stuff slapped on it, but if it wasnt done correctly you just bought someone elses problems.

With that said, I've wanted a Colt LW commander for some time now. I just havent broke down and bought one. I hope you enjoy it.

#11 ·
Great. Shoot the heck out of it. Then make it your constant companion commander.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.