Help me to make the right decision

This is a discussion on Help me to make the right decision within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Here's my delemma: I own a Springfield XD 4" service in 9mm. I love the gun and it has been flawless whenever I take it ...

Thread: Help me to make the right decision

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar

Here's my delemma: I own a Springfield XD 4" service in 9mm. I love the gun and it has been flawless whenever I take it to the range. The problem is that it's too big to carry, so it's been relegated primarily as a range gun and just spends too much time in the safe. Lately, I've been thinking of trading it in and getting the XD subcompact 3" in 9mm to take it's place and to use for carry. I usually carry a Sig p-239, and the subcompact would give me another smaller, lighter choice for carry. Thing is, I already have a S&W 642, Ruger sp101, and a Baretta Tomcat; all of which I carry from time to time depending on dress and temperature.
    My guess is I'd lose $100-150 on a trade for basically the same gun I already have albeit smaller and lighter. I'd like your opinions because I'm just not seeing the greater picture here.

Why sell a gun you really like? Save a little more, keep the SD 4" and then buy the compact 3"...can't have too many guns!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Freedomofchoice View Post
    Here's my delemma: I own a Springfield XD 4" service in 9mm. I love the gun and it has been flawless whenever I take it to the range. The problem is that it's too big to carry, so it's been relegated primarily as a range gun and just spends too much time in the safe. Lately, I've been thinking of trading it in and getting the XD subcompact 3" in 9mm to take it's place and to use for carry. I usually carry a Sig p-239, and the subcompact would give me another smaller, lighter choice for carry. Thing is, I already have a S&W 642, Ruger sp101, and a Baretta Tomcat; all of which I carry from time to time depending on dress and temperature.
    My guess is I'd lose $100-150 on a trade for basically the same gun I already have albeit smaller and lighter. I'd like your opinions because I'm just not seeing the greater picture here.
    When you say "too big to carry", do you mean the barrel is too long, or the grip length tends to prints too much? For me, barrel length is never a problem, but my G19's grip length can be problematic, and the width is sometimes a bit much.

My point is that if grip length is what's bothering you then maybe you should consider trading your 4" service model for the 4" compact model that comes with interchangeable mags. This would give you a gun to use in both configurations - full grip length w/ full ammo capacity AND the compact model offering greater concealability with somewhat reduced ammo capacity.

Just a thought since you obviously like the platform. Good luck.

I just thought that I'm not sure if the compacts come in 9MM. If they don't then I guess my idea won't hold any water for you.

cw
    Last edited by Plan B; September 9th, 2007 at 06:41 PM. Reason: 9MM?

Administrator
    If you having trouble spending the money, why not sell one of the other smaller guns that the new XD would replace as well? That should leave you with some money for holsters etc.
    "Just blame Sixto"

You said the Springfield XD4 is just too big to carry frequently:
    Spr XD4 9mm -- 7.3" long, 5.5" high, 28oz.

In what way is it "too big"? Length of the gun, overall height, size of the butt sticking out, thickness, weight? More than one of these? Does it simply "stick out" too much (which might be the belt/holster or even your clothing, not the gun)?

Keep in mind that a couple of your other guns aren't really that different in size, least of all the SP101 (which many feel is reasonably compact):
    Ruger SP101 -- 7" long, 5" high, 25oz.
    SIG P239 9mm -- 6.6" long, 5.1" high, 25oz.
    S&W 642 -- 6.4" long, 5" high, 15oz.
    Beretta Tomcat 32ACP -- 4.9" long, 3.7" high, 15oz

Your possible new gun, along with a couple comparison examples:
    Spr SC XD3 9mm -- 6.25" long, 4.75" high, 26oz.
    Glock 19 9mm -- 6.9" long, 5" high, 21oz.
    CZ 2075 RAMI 9mm -- 6.5" long, 4.7" high, 25oz.
    Springfield EMP 1911 9mm -- 6.5" long, 5" long, 25oz.
    Glock 26 9mm -- 6.3" long, 4.2" high, 20oz.

I'd say that you already have a couple of decent alternatives, and you're often carrying those. If you truly like the XD format, the subcompact version (3" bbl) will be nearly as small as the Glock 26, though similar in weight to the XD4 you already have. As suggested, if cost is the issue, you could sell one of the others and acquire the XD3.

What would I do? If I loved the reliability and format of the XD4, I'd simply acquire an XD3. That would give me two of the same platform to allow for different situations (temps, clothing). If I needed the cash, I'd sell either the Ruger SP101 or the SIG P239 to finance the new purchase, keeping the S&W 642 since it can go everywhere the larger SP101 can go and would offer me a decently compact choice when needed (though, .38 spl).
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Since you seem to have a plethora of pocket type pistols and revolvers, why not trade in one or two of those on the XD Sub? Then you would have a nice set. One full sized. One sub-compact. They can share magazines and are the same manual of arms.

When people say a gun is too big to conceal I have to ask what kind of holster and belt they are using.

Often I find that it's not the gun, it's the Belt/Holster combo. Why don't you call a holster maker and have a chat with them. You will pay as much as you would for a gun, but it's worth it. I have a Del Fatti OWB that allows me to effectively conceal a 4" N-Frame S&W Revolver, and it's my EDC Off-Duty. My cover garmet is a one size too large untucked Polo Shirt.

I also have an IWB Safariland Holster for my Glock 19. Guess what, the OWB N-Frame conceals better than the mass produced "Sappyland" Holster. I'm not a big guy either, 5'06" and 140pounds soaking wet.

It's the leather son. I think you will be amazed at what you can hide with good leather.

Biker

When I say it's too big, I'm talking about mostly the length of the grip. Even though the Ruger sp101 has a 7" length, because of the configuration of the grip, unlike an auto, it hides well. The barrel length on the XD becomes a problem when I'm seated.

VIP Member
    Some holsters allow adjustment in hight and cant. That usually does it with a good belt. I find the fuller grip faster and more reliable in the draw. For now I'd keep working with the XD you have. But if I hit the lotto tomorrow, all bets are off.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

i carry a 4" XD IWB every day without any issues. however i have an LEO friend who's about the same height and weight as me, yet his body build is different enough that the 4" XD looks very obvious on his hip.

the best way i've found for me to carry the 4" XD is at about 3:00 with a slight forward cant so that the grip doesn't go straigh back, but up slightly. that way, as long as i don't bend too far at the waist, no one can see a thing. my own mother didn't even knew i carried until the day she hugged a bit too low. ;)

The XD subC does conceal much better than the full size grips (I have a 40 SubC). If you're worried about size, maybe look at one of the Kahrs that are smaller than even the SubC? PM9 or PM40 (poly frame) or the MK9/40 (steel frame).

All your suggestions have been very thoughful, and I appreciate them. After considering all alternatives, I decided for now just to try to improve my concealement techniques...extra size shirt, and my Smart Carry holster make the 4" XD a viable alternative to my p-239 for carry. Thank you all.

Have a gunsmith cut the grip off to the size of the SC. Then you can use those mags, the normal mags with sleeves and you keep your pistol, it's just more concealable.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Sponsored Links