Setup List?

This is a discussion on Setup List? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ive decided to go with a Glock Model 23 heres the list GLOCK Model 23 Four 13 Round Magazines LaserMax LMS-1131P Laser Sight Meprolight Night ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Setup List?

Setup List?

ive decided to go with a Glock Model 23 heres the list

GLOCK Model 23
    Four 13 Round Magazines
    LaserMax LMS-1131P Laser Sight
    Meprolight Night Sights (Green Front, Yellow Rear)
    Bowie Tactical Concepts Gunsmithing Work that includes:
    Polish Chamber and Feed Ramp
    Supply and Fit Ghost 4.5lb Ranger Trigger
    Radius Slide
    Tactical Action Glocks GRIPle Treatment
    On Grip
    On Forward Thumbrest
    Ill be buying Winchester Ranger T Series 165grain rounds for carry and
    Cabelas Bulk .40S&W FMJ rounds for practice

What do you all think?

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    I would suggest trying it bone stock to start. (other than night sights). Make sure this is the gun you really want/like before plunging lots of extras on something that works well with no frills.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

ive already tried it stock before
    i spent about 4 hours practicing firing, drawing from concealment, double taps, and other such drills
    its good, but i belive it could be better

Lead Moderator
    All the mods may make the gun better, but perhaps a good training course might be a better way to spend your money(assuming you have not already taken a course).
    Honestly I don't see why you would need the polished ramp and chamber, glocks are known for reliability right out of the box. I understand the carry treatment might help some,. why a lighter trigger?
    Finally 4 hours isn't much to really judge a everyday carry gun. Please don't take this post the wrong way, but it seems you are trying to fix something that isn't in need of upgrading.
    Bottom line, its your money, but you did ask for opinions .
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Glocks are extremely reliable stock, and I feel that a carry gun should not be modified.

I spend money on guns all the time and understand.

The only thing I've done to my Glock-36 was to add Meps...nothing else...it's a smooth running machine...Works for me!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I carry a Glock 23 on duty (plainclothes). The only mods I have are night sights, an extended slide stop, a smooth trigger (instead of the stock grooved one), and a 3.5 connector. It shoots like a dream. It's a second generation, and the finish is showing some wear, so I might send it off to Robar for the NP3 finish, but that's just for looks.
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

thanks again
    rocky, i know what you mean
    and i did ask for opinions
    thank you for giving them
    it seems to me that while the glock is reliable stock, polishing the feed ramp and chamber sure couldnt do any harm, and from what i head the ghost triggers really do improve control of the trigger and it is only lighter by 1lb
    again, thank you for all your opinions

Trigger

I can comment on the Ranger trigger from Ghost. I think it's a great setup for a carry gun. Got a couple of customers that swear by them. I carry a 19 that's got a lot of customization with no worries, although I confess I didn't alter the frame any.

The Ghost product is good. XS Standard or Big Dot night sights are faster and easier to see than Meps.

Otherwise, its your money, its your gun, but as far as opinions:

1) Radiusing the slide- unnecessary, the gun already holsters easily, and the machining removes the nitride (Tenifer) coating and structural integrity/mass. You may not be dropping your gun on its slide from 30 feet with regularity, but the original design was for field-use and abuse.

2) Thumb rest- unnecessary, unless you're strictly IDPA shooting. Adds angles to the frame that will affect off-hand/odd-position shooting. If this is a carry-gun, is that something you want?

3) Polish- you can do yourself with a Dremel felt bob and compound in about 10 minutes. The chamber doesn't need it, but it may help feeding, if you use HPs with much exposed lead in the nose.

If you have the $$ for extensive smithing, why not put it towards a second gun? Remember: if you have to use it, your Glock will be staying with PD for awhile. Having a twin at home is nice.

Administrator
    Well, since you asked... Your wasting a lot of money. But its yours and not mine, so do whatever floats your boat.

I'd definatly lose the laser, spend the money on a few nice holsters or training. The work from Bowie is nice, if you like that sort of thing. Again, its really unneeded.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    I believe to some extent, this has come up before (Quite a bit).

Personally, since I don't use my 1911 for CC, that's what I'd modify. For EDC, whatever modifications you do, you'll have to justify if (& we all hope this never happens), you get into a shooting.

Aside from sights, the Glock is one of those guns that just doesn't need modifiying. It's designed to use jacketed rounds & hollow-points right from the start.

There is one modification that you listed that you really should re-consider (My opinion, of course). & that's to lighten the trigger pull. Smooth it out if you want, but I'd highly recommend that you don't lighten it. Stock Glocks (Unless it's the target/tactical models), typically have a 5 lb. pull. That's lighter than any DA & you'll have to defend yourself as to why you put in a lighter action, especially since Glocks don't have any manual safeties.

Well, they're just opinions, so good luck with whatever you decide.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Tritium sights are probably the best addition. I won't get another gun without them if they are available.

You might consider getting XS Big Dot tritiums or possibly the Heine Straight 8's with tritium. They are faster for the eye to acquire than a 3 dot horizontal sighting system. Yes, contrasting colors on front and rear helps and I was planning on replacing my all green mepro's on my G-23 with a Green/Orange combo until I got the XS Big Dot's on my XD9sc!

Once using the Big Dot (vertical alignment) system I found that they in fact are a faster sight over the standard 3 dot horizontal sights. Now when I replace my green 3 dots on the Glock, I'll again be switching over to the Big Dot tritiums.

JMHO but I have found that the studies done are in fact, correct. At least for me it is. YMMV.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

You have a solid platform with the G23 and it is your gun, so have fun. Paint it pink if you want you will still have a good carry gun, just an ugly one.
    CRIME..... LAW DEFINES, POLICE ENFORCE, CITIZENS PREVENT!

FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: [1] SOAP [2] BALLOT [3] JURY [4] AMMO!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links