Arizona Gun Show Question

This is a discussion on Arizona Gun Show Question within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm only 20, but would like to purchase a handgun so that I can be 100% ready to carry it the MINUTE I am leaglly ...

Thread: Arizona Gun Show Question

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar

Arizona Gun Show Question

I'm only 20, but would like to purchase a handgun so that I can be 100% ready to carry it the MINUTE I am leaglly allowed to CCW. Is it considered a private sale at a gunshow? If not is there a place where guns are sold that is considered a private sale?

Thank you
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

2. Remove Ads

Not an answer to your question, but where's the show?

As odd as it may sound.. It is legal for you to own a handgun , but Illegal for you to purchase one until you are 21.
    The 6 P's
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss-Poor Performance

No man who refuses to bear arms in defense of his nation can give a sound reason why he should be allowed to live in a free country" T. Roosevelt

"A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

Administrator

Post ARIZONA - He is legal for Arizona

Arizona
    Arizona gun laws are governed by Title 13, Chapter 31 of the Arizona Revised Statues. Registration or licensing of firearms is not a requirement in Arizona. In fact, Section 13-3108 subsection B prohibits state legislators from enacting any laws requiring licensing or registration[3]. Laws governing the sale and transfer of firearms in Arizona largely lean on federal guns laws. For example, long gun purchases (rifles and shotguns) and ammunition for long guns require that the buyer be at least 18 years of age.

Hand gun purchasers must be at least 21 years of age to purchase a hand gun from a federally licensed dealer.

However, in the case of a private sale the purchaser need only be 18 or older.

Background checks are not required for private sales, although federal and state laws concerning firearm purchaser prohibitions still apply.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

The valley of the sun scorched earth(Phx,Az)
    You can buy one from somebody walking around selling their stuff, but NOT from a table top vendor selling at the show.
    NRA Life Member USCCA Member

Freedoms Precious Metals:Gold, Silver and Lead

"You may find me one day dead in a ditch somewhere. But by God, you'll find me in a pile of brass."~~ Tpr. M. Padgett

Kimber Tactical Pro II w/EE over 2000 rnds NO MALFUNCTIONS

Quote Originally Posted by SilenceDoGood View Post
    I'm only 20, but would like to purchase a handgun so that I can be 100% ready to carry it the MINUTE I am leaglly allowed to CCW. Is it considered a private sale at a gunshow? If not is there a place where guns are sold that is considered a private sale?

Thank you
    Do you have a family member or close friend that's over 21 and can legally purchase a handgun? If you find something you like at a FFL/dealer table, have them purchase it. Then you can legally buy it from them as an "over 18" private sale. This is perfectly legal. If it weren't, then how can guns be purchased as gifts for others? I'm sure fathers "gift" handguns to their children as soon as they are legal to own them. My dad bought me my first handgun (in AZ, too) when I turned 18. And I paid him back for it.

Now, before everyone piles on about a straw purchase, a straw purchase is when a person who can legally purchase a handgun does so and intentionally and knowingly transfers it to a person who cannot legally purchase/own a handgun.

If you're perfectly legal (age wise and background wise), then there's no problem with this at all. Again, as long as you're over 18 in AZ and it's a private sale, you're good to go!
    Last edited by glocksandkahrs; September 11th, 2007 at 05:42 PM.

boom shakalaka

Quote Originally Posted by SilenceDoGood View Post
    boom shakalaka
    Good luck. As another piece of advice, if you find something you want from an FFL, discuss this with your friend/family member away from the presence of the FFL. Even though it's not illegal at all, some FFLs may get "squirmy" if you walk up and say something like, "I want that one so please buy it for me." They might want to know why you can't buy it for yourself and may investigate further...

Also, get your friend/family member to handle it and then let you handle/inspect the handgun. Some FFLs set their own weird policies and won't let anyone under 21 handle a handgun unless they are directly with someone who is.

Something to think about...

There's one in Tucson this weekend

Links