1911 upgrade question

This is a discussion on 1911 upgrade question within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I need some advice/information from my 1911 friends. I recently had some minor changes made to a SA GI Micro Carry 45 (sights, grips, hammer, ...

Thread: 1911 upgrade question

1911 upgrade question

I need some advice/information from my 1911 friends. I recently had some minor changes made to a SA GI Micro Carry 45 (sights, grips, hammer, beavertail safety and slight honing). It is now complete to my satisfaction ,except for the black barrel that is already scratched from use. I want to put a stainless, match grade barrel in - purely for cosmetic reasons. Question - is that a drop-in task, or does it require a smith to fit it ? I realize that with such a short barrel , I probably wouldn't notice any difference in accuracy, but that is not the reason for the change. What brand do you recommend ? Tks..

2. Remove Ads

Speaking for myself, if I were to upgrade the barrel I would want a smith to do it. The linkage and lockup measurements would be important to safety and life of the firearm. I am not a gunsmith and don't mess with building 1911's but sure admire and understand why a good smith is needed from time to time.
    As you slide down the banister of life,
    May the splinters never point the wrong way.
    ---
    NRA Life Member

If you like the way it shoots now, just send your barrel out to be hard chromed. +/-$40, from Fords, Cogan Custom/APW, or Tripp. HC will show less wear than the SS barrel, and will harden your lugs, giving your barrel lugs, at least, longer life. For one of the Micro barrels from one of "The Names", you'll easily go $200, plus cost of smithing.(Do they even make after-market barrels for those??)

FYI: Unless the technology has changed, only the outside of your barrel can be done(HC), but it would be worth asking.

Former Member Array The Tourist's Avatar
    Are these "scratches" more of a 'wear ring' about 3/4's of an inch from the muzzle of the barrel?

If so, this is a sign that your bushing is locking and unlocking properly during the firing sequence.

When a cartridge is in battery and the slide fully forward to lock the breech, the bushing is to be tight on the barrel. Some of my custom guns need a plastic 'bushing wrench' to disassemble.

If this is the case, it's a normal mark. Your replacement barrel will wear in a similar fashion.

If ya have to do soemthign i think hard chromeing it would be the way to go other wise just figure it as chacter(sp)

DC Founder
    Tourist's correct. After shooting a bit you should have a slight "scrub" in the position he described. The more uniform the "scrub" is, the better.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Thanks

Thanks for the advice. The "wear" is exactly as Tourist described, a near perfect perimeter scuff ring. If I don't worry about "character" wear on a blued gun, I shouldn't be concerned with the barrel - and I'm not. My only reason for considering a stainless or chromed barrel is purely cosmetic. I think that the contrast would look great, and the bore would be quite sobering. On the otherhand, it started out as the GI el-cheapo, I've only added another $260 into it, and much more into it would defeat my original intent. If it ain't broke, don't "fix" it might apply here. I guess everyone has guns they like, and guns they love. This SA Micro is a real lover - looks great, shoots better than me, and is as accurate as my other enhanced 1911s. The only complaint is how in the world could something so small weigh so much !! Not a problem. TKS again.

Administrator

Thumbs up Your Barrel

If your existing barrel is accurate and already "well fit" then you could just have it polished and then the exterior industrial hard chrome coated. That would probably be a better way to go & should prevent any abrasion marks from showing on your barrel for a while.
    A replacment Stainless barrel will show use/rub marks also but, they won't look quite as pronounced.

Hard Chrome sure would save you some $$$ ~ because the cost of a new match grade barrel ~ having a gun smith fit it & adding to that the cost of shipping your pistol 2 ways...starts to add up. Then you're going to take your pistol out & shoot it with its with its new tightly fit Stainless barrel & your pistol will show those very same abraded marks.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Links