Should I strike while the iron is hot?

This is a discussion on Should I strike while the iron is hot? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm wanting so badly to order my XD40. Right now the best local deal is Davidson's, beating Academy out by something like $30. The problem ...

Thread: Should I strike while the iron is hot?

I'm wanting so badly to order my XD40. Right now the best local deal is Davidson's, beating Academy out by something like $30.

The problem though is that according to galleryofguns.com, the stainless XD40 like I wanted is out of stock. I'm set to be emailed when it comes back in stock.

They do have the blue finish in stock however, but only 19 of them. This is a popular gun and I don't think that will last very long.

I have to time my purchase carefully to coincide with my next pay day, but at $485 all taxes and fees included, that's such a good deal I am having a heart attack over the thought of passing it up. I think I can live with the blue finish even though it stinks as this gun is just ugly anyway and I'm going to make it uglier with use.

What I don't want to happen is to sit here and wait 3 months for them to restock the stainless model and then the price go up $50.

I also don't want to have to wait months and months just to have the gun at all. Locally the stores are all out of XD40s and have been for a couple of weeks. They do have the XD9 but I don't want the XD9. Compromising on a finish is very minor next to compromising on the caliber.

Everyone I talk to from the Academy guys to my FFL to my pawn shop guys tell me they're selling handguns like crazy and can't keep them in stock.

Should I just order it as soon as I know I've got the cash, or would I be okay if I waited a little bit? I know a lot of you guys actually sell guns at least part time so maybe you have some insight that I don't have.

Patience... Shop around some more... wait for the stainless version that you want. Otherwise you will not be as pleased with your purchase.
    Good choice though... The XD is an EXCELLENT handgun.

Or, you could buy this one, keep it for a while and then get it hard chromed. I know it would be extra money but it would look good and be very durable. I hope to do the same to mine.

I got the XD40-V10. The gun is pinnacle. I for one had nothing against the look initially, and I think it grows on you the more you look at it. And once you shoot it the look gets a lot better If you need more convincing on buying one the recent issue of Guns and Ammo Handguns (June/July '05) did a torture test of the XD where they put 20,000 rounds through it and had zero malfunctions. Some of the pictures of the mud and ice they put the gun through are pretty amazing. My advice, BUY YESTERDAY.
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the PEOPLE to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

You want it so bad you can almost feel it in your hands. I'd say wait and get what you really want, rather than settle for less than you want. Even if the price changes a little, it will be worth it, because it will still be less expensive than settling for less than you want and customizing that. The best price I found for the 4" two-tone was $454 before transfer fees.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom357
    You want it so bad you can almost feel it in your hands. I'd say wait and get what you really want, rather than settle for less than you want.
    Heed these words!

Lead Moderator
    yep, get exactly what ya want. I don't think those xD's are that scarce to buy.

yep i would hold out and get what ya want

Get the one you want, and time your purchase.... The place in Kittery I frequent, has tons of them...479.00 all day long.......I'm not sure what it might cost you to get one from them..might be the same price as what you're paying now......They also have a 60 day lay-away for those who need it...just trying to assist you....I have one that's USED.up there, awaiting me,,,, for 325.00 it's like new.....but blue slide and the OD Green frame....

Quote Originally Posted by 500Mag
    I got the XD40-V10. The gun is pinnacle. I for one had nothing against the look initially, and I think it grows on you the more you look at it. And once you shoot it the look gets a lot better If you need more convincing on buying one the recent issue of Guns and Ammo Handguns (June/July '05) did a torture test of the XD where they put 20,000 rounds through it and had zero malfunctions. Some of the pictures of the mud and ice they put the gun through are pretty amazing. My advice, BUY YESTERDAY.
    Is the ported model really worth getting excited about? I'm asking honestly. I know I've never cared for ported revolvers as a defensive gun, and I know the ported Glocks that the XD imitates do little more than make a mess after an extended shooting session.

The problem here seems to be that popular handguns are selling like hotcakes. As soon as they come in, they're gone and it takes a while to get more. The paradox is that something popular and widely available is thus a PITA to acquire. :p

Euc, I cannot recall where I read it, but the article addressed the need/advantage of the ported barrel. Their opinion was that in a defensive use gun, the ported barrel was not their recommendation. I think their main complaint was the flash and the powder residue, and of course the loudness.

Thumbs up

Euc
    I have that SA V10 45 Ultra Compact... I'd prefer carry it in the daytime, due to the huge flash I get when I shoot it in low light. It DOES lower the felt recoil involved and quickly brings you back on target for that quick second and third shot. Just my opinion though.

Euc,

Is the ported barrel worth it? Depends on who you ask I guess. For me I like the idea of a ported barrel, and the fact that it's a touch quicker sight recognition on follow up shots. The less recoil isn't that big of a concern to me, but it goes along with the quicker follow up acquistion. I got the ported barrel because that's what I really wanted. If you don't have a huge desire for it then i'm sure you can live without it. Bottom line, i think it comes to personal preference and not performance.

As a side i didn't notice it being any louder than other semi's. The only negative i noticed was standing next to it while it's being fired. You get pelted with the pressure wave and a little unburnt propellant. Overall though I'm very impressed with it.
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the PEOPLE to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

The shop here has one in stock for $470, which is about market most places. You should be able to find one.
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

Sponsored Links