Best Lightweight EDC CCW

Best Lightweight EDC CCW

This is a discussion on Best Lightweight EDC CCW within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Asking for advice. Current G-23 is too wide & awkward for EDC except in cold weather gear (5'8", 170). Wanting to stay under $700.00 for ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Lightweight EDC CCW

Question Best Lightweight EDC CCW

Asking for advice. Current G-23 is too wide & awkward for EDC except in cold weather gear (5'8", 170). Wanting to stay under $700.00 for actual tool. Will need leather as well (CCW including acc's budget is $1000.00). Was hoping to find multi use (pocket, IWB, OWB slide). Fondled Blackened Kahr PM9, felt good, research sounds problematic, hi maint., feeding probs, recoil spring replacement @ 1000, etc. Rohrbaugh R9S, too small, tight, but again, hi maint. like Kahr. Kel-Tek does not feel like quality. Never done much with wheelies. Open for suggestions?? (First Post)

AK
    I have a Kahr PM9 serial number prefix: VC. From what I understand it was the first runs of PM9's (a few years ago serial number prefix: VA) that had problems. Mine took about 500 rounds to break in and has been great since then. I will say that I find it much more "shootable" than the light weight J frames and .380 Keltecs.

Talking

If you dont mind the smaller caliber weapons the Walther PPK 380 is an excellent carry gun. Also North American Arms makes a smaller quality gun, the Guardian series, I believe they also come in 380. If its a bigger caliber try the glock 36, the single stack slimline 45 acp. hope this was helpful.

JD
    Administrator
    Could you give us a little more info?

What caliber do you want?

Is there a weight limit that you're trying to stay under?

Is there an ammo capacity that you're wanting to maintain?

I second the G36, if you like the 23, it's not much slimmer in the slide IIRC, but it's a sound replacement. But, I wouldn't suggest pocket carry of a G36 sized auto.

What caliber do you want? No less than 9 (40 in lt weight will have too much recoil, even considered 45, & their goes the weight issue)

Is there a weight limit that you're trying to stay under? Under 20 oz empty

Is there an ammo capacity that you're wanting to maintain? Would like 8+, but 7+ of P+ may work. I will obviously need to stay single stack, doubles get me back to the G 23 width.

Don't really need pocket carry, just slim fit IWB/OWB

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Look at the kahr p or cw series , you can have the butt trimmed to pm dementions , ( and in fact kahr marked this as the covert series for a while ) which gives you the small butt of the pm coupled with the full sight plain and recoil system of the p series . The cw series is just the econo buld of the p series that you really cant handily replace sights on if that is a concern. They are considerably cheaper tho they only come with one mag .

My pm is serialed in the ab range and has been a good one . I have a P9 that is my normal primary carry day in and day out . Folks who have picked up the cw series seem universally impressed with them also , several reviews on this board .

Hope that helped generate some alternatives thoughts on kahrs if you like the looks/size/action, but are just concerned about the pm series.
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

I would say the Seecamp or Rohrbaugh. The Seecamp 32acp is a slightly smaller caliber than the others you mentioned, but it offers superior quality, small size and concealability. I'm actually planning to snag one thats waiting paitently for me to come buy it. All I have to do is sell my Kahr K40 Covert. Let me know if you are interested. It is the longer, single recoil spring, barrel and the shorter grip. And its in the same caliber as your primary. I don't carry it. It just sits in my safe, although I did carry it around the house for about anb hour and its really comfortable to conceal.

Comes with: Kahr K40 Covert, Box, original papers, 2 flush fit mags, 1 extended mag, Comp-Tac shirt tucker holster, Comp-Tac spare mag pouch, and 50 rounds of 165 gr Federal Hydrashok.

Price is $525 plus shipping and $15 FFL charge.
    Yeah I like Glocks, wanna fight about it!

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Rightie View Post
    What caliber do you want?
    No less than 9 (40 in lt weight will have too much recoil, even considered 45, & their goes the weight issue)

Is there a weight limit that you're trying to stay under?
    Under 20 oz empty

Is there an ammo capacity that you're wanting to maintain?
    Would like 8+, but 7+ of P+ may work. I will obviously need to stay single stack, doubles get me back to the G 23 width.

Don't really need pocket carry, just slim fit IWB/OWB
    Well, after reviewing your requirements, I have only two suggestions, the Kahr line as suggested by RR, or THE NEW Walther PPS.

Being that the new PPS is exactly that, I'd stick with the Kahr line up for now, unless you plan on waiting for a while, 1st run guns are generally a bad idea in my book, let someone else find the bugs in the gun.

I had a PM40 and it was 100%, but I was in the mood for a new rifle and off it went.

Good luck on the search.

JD
    Administrator
    Also, we have a pretty good thread on Kahrs here: http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ad.php?t=32081

Forgot to mention to PM me if interested.
    Yeah I like Glocks, wanna fight about it!

Thanks, all. I will check the thread. From what I have seen, I really like the Kahr. Just became concerned with all the maintenance issues that I found while researching the different models. So, those were early run issues?? Hopefully the thread will give me a little more insight.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    You came to the right place for advice

I'll suggest that you not try to get a Pocket piece and expect it to satisfy everything else. They're two different worlds. If you rule out the Keltec and R9, then the only other real options for pocket are the NAA .380s and similar weapons. Based on your criteria for weight, etc, even J frames can feel blocky or chunky in the pocket. I carry one a lot but in dress cloths it feels like a lightweight brick. So I suggest you get something thin and light for IWB and then address true pocket carry as a secondary.

If you want one for both, then I think the Kahr PM9 is the best choice out there. You'll hear/read a lot on the internet but I think they're better than some of the press they're receiving. To get all that you want in a gun you might need to get something that's pushing the envelope, therefore you have to accept that there might be more instances of a Kahr PM9 having problems out of the box as compared to a full size 1911, sig, glock, or HK but on the other hand how many guns are out there that are that light and especially that THIN.

If it's picky at first, or broken, work with the mfg to get it worked out and then prove it and you'll have an outstanding piece. by the way, I have a Kahr P9 with 1000's of rounds. I've never changed a spring (but should ) and it's never had a single failure of any kind, has a DAO trigger pull thats as smooth as butter and is one of my most accurate handguns.

A Walther PPK in .380 is a good thin lightweight IWB gun but they can have issues too and are just a bit large/heavy for pocket carry.

After spending a lot of time and money, I ended up with the Kahr P9, S&W Airweight 642, and a Keltec P3AT. I'm a small guy who needs light and thin and I wear a lot of tucked dress clothes without a cover garment so the J frame and Keltec pull pocket duty. I also wear the J frame IWB but despite its size, the shape of the cylinder makes it less comfortable IWB than my Kahr P9 and If I'm going to carry IWB, I'd just as soon have a few more rounds and a quicker reload with a few more rounds. Carrying my Kahr P9 is a bit more comfortable IWB than the J frame but the grip can print through a thin cover garment if you're a thin guy. Love handles do a lot to conceal grips

I've always thought the PM9 would be the ideal gun from moving back and forth between IWB and pocket. Perhaps at the larger edge of pocket but a breeze to carry IWB with even a thin cover and then you're carrying at least a 9 mm. I think .380 is small but better than anything else; less than that and I think I'm kidding myself. But a .38 or 9mm is great.

I don't worry as much about negative feedback from the internet is it's a good manufactuer. You may be told to consider the Bersa .380 which I also have and like a lot but it's a lot thicker than my Kahr which makes it less comfortable to carry.

Good luck finding what suits you best!
    God Bless
    Gideon

Don't completely give up on the .45 idea...get thee to a gunshop and fondle a Glock-36 (thin, single-stack)...easy to conceal, and still lots of power...OMO
    It costs nothing to look!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Not my EDC but S&W 637 for BUG.
    Why is it that you always find things at the last place you looked?
    Because when you find something-you stop looking-Mooch

Senior Member Array flagflyfish's Avatar
    I carry a Colt New Agent, 1911 3" bbl. .45 ACP. It weighs about 23oz. empty, is very slim, and in a Max-con V holster it disappears under a t-shirt. 7+1 rounds and NO wierd maintenance probs. 1500 rds down the pipe, no FTF, FTE. And best of all...... It's a Colt
    "These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier
    and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the
    service of his country; but he that stands it now, deserves the
    love and thanks of man and woman."

-- Thomas Paine (The American Crisis, No. 1, 19 December 1776)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links