Concerned on width....

Concerned on width....

This is a discussion on Concerned on width.... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am looking for a new CCW. I am currently thinking between a compact 3.5" 1911, a Sig 239, and a Glock 36. If anyone ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Concerned on width....

Concerned on width....

I am looking for a new CCW. I am currently thinking between a compact 3.5" 1911, a Sig 239, and a Glock 36. If anyone has all 3 of these, could you post a pic of them all together showing the differences in width? I'm mostly concerned with grip width. I really like the complete feel of the 1911, but I like the others on my list too. The Sig feels great in hand, but I'm concerned on the weight for EDC. Is the G36 just like the G26 except for thickness? Is the grip any longer?
    Glock 27
    Para LTC 1911
    Kel Tec P-3AT
    Ruger LCP

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    What are you using now? FWIW, the shorter 1911 platforms have some reliability issues. The further that you depart from 5" the greater the chances. The 239 is a reliable weapon but it has a steeper learing curve withe the da/sa trigger. Two trigger pulls to learn. As far as the G36, I would avoid it. It has a well earned reputation as being the most dysfunctional child of the Glock family. You mentioned the G26. MUCH better choice. The dimensions are a little bigger through the grip but slimmer through the slide. The 26 is, in my opinion, much more comfortable to shoot than the 36. Check the Glock wesite if you want to compare the sizes. Hope this helps.

If width is your primary concern, look at the Kahr P9. I prefer the metal-framed K9 but it's still just a wee bit wider than the polymer "P" Series. I can almost promise you'll like the "feel" (grip angle, trigger reach, etc.) of these pistols. The only downside is a longer-than-average trigger stroke & reset, especially compared to a 1911-based design. But then again, EVERY trigger pull feels bulky & weird compared to the SA 1911.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Skinny guns

You mentioned a 3.5 inch 1911 as one of your candidates. If width is your concern, the 1911 is one of the thinnest major caliber guns. Most 1911s have a slide width of 0.90 inches, and a single stack 1911 with thin or slim grip panels will measure about 1.04 inches across the grips. Here is a photo of my Colt Defender taken from the rear which shows the slim profile with thin grip panels:

I don't own the Sig P239 or the Glock 36, but have handled both of them. They are fairly slim guns in both slide and grip thickness, and the Glock weighs about 5 or 6 ounces less than the Sig because of its polymer frame. I also believe the Glock 36 is slightly thinner than the Sig P239, but they are close in size.

Other slim guns that you might consider are the new Walther PPS (9mm), which is about 0.91 inches thick in both slide and grip, and the various Kahr models in 9mm and .40 S&W, which tend to be 0.90 inches thick in the slide and slightly more in the grip. In general, polymer frame guns have thinner grips because they don't use the screw on grip panels of aluminum or steel framed guns, which add thickness.

Quote Originally Posted by Knuckledrager View Post
    The 239 is a reliable weapon but it has a steeper learing curve withe the da/sa trigger. Two trigger pulls to learn.
    FWIW, the P239 comes in three variants, DA/SA, DAO and DAK.

I carry a P239 (DA/SA) and while I wouldn't mind it being a bit lighter, the weight isn't an issue with a good holster. It should also be pointed out that this is one accurate firearm.

The primary downside from my perspective is the capacity. While 8+1 (9mm) isn't bad, I'd prefer to be able to carry full sized spare mags.

I have shot the G26 (rented) side by side with the P239 and it is a nice little firearm. I wasn't able to shoot it quite as accurately as the Sig (could be me), but it was quite accurate. I certainly don't think it would be hard to conceal and it has the advantage of taking full size mags.

That said, I prefer DA/SA and feel a bit uncomfortable with the safety system on the Glock (not from an intellectual perspective, but more of an emotional one).

As a result, I'm considering the H&K P2000 SK (v3) which offers a sub compact, 20oz, 10rd 9mm (among others) in DA/SA (among others) but will also take full size P2000 mags (13 round) and (when available) P30 mags (15 round).

But I don't know if I would/will like it better than the P239.

-john

I'm currently carrying a Bersa T.380, so I am use to the DA/SA transition. I like the size of it, but want a bigger caliber. How much different is the thickness between the P239 and 1911? Grip length is also a factor for me as well. I want it long enought that I can just get my pinky finger on it, but short enough that it conceals easier. My fingers are skinny, so it doesn't take a huge grip. The Glock 26 is too short to be comfortable.

Which 1911 would be a good choice as far as reliability and concealibility, but not be over $800?
    Glock 27
    Para LTC 1911
    Kel Tec P-3AT
    Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by KYmxracer52 View Post
    Grip length is also a factor for me as well. I want it long enought that I can just get my pinky finger on it, but short enough that it conceals easier. My fingers are skinny, so it doesn't take a huge grip. The Glock 26 is too short to be comfortable.
    Grip length of the P239 is longer than the G26. All three of my fingers are on the grip of my P239 (medium sized hands), with maybe a 1/16" overhang with my pinky.

If possible, find somewhere where you can handle the P239. It is a very nice fit. Or better yet, some place that rents.

-john

Which 1911 would be a good choice as far as reliability and concealibility, but not be over $800?
    I'd recommend the Colt Defender, which costs about the amount you mention. I have about 600 rounds through mine without a jam or failure to fire and eject. And it is very concealable. Defenders have been on the market for 8 years or so and most owners have had good experiences with them. They now use a "dimpled barrel" design to ensure good feeding.

How is the XD45 Compact? Do they conceal well under a t-shirt?
    Glock 27
    Para LTC 1911
    Kel Tec P-3AT
    Ruger LCP

How is the XD45 Compact? Do they conceal well under a t-shirt?
    i carry an XD9 Service under just a t-shirt with no problems. the compact 45 gives you a slightly shorter grip, so it's probably even easier to conceal. i actually plan to get a compact 45 as soon as i get the funds. i've already gotten the approval from my financial advisor. :)

I love my XD9 and never have an issue with the width..
    Proud Georgia Firearms Licensee
    Springfield Armory XD-9 Subcompact
    Seecamp LWS32
    Browning Buckmark
    Walther P22
    Bersa Thunder 380

I only have two of the three you mention...and I like to carry either of them...
    My Kimber Ultra CDP II, and my Glock-36..both grips (different) are both thin, very comfortable and easy to conceal. Which is the best? It's a toss up for me...I like them both!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

For my .02, don't go below 4.25" (commander length) for a carry gun. You could get a Les Baer Stinger with a commander slide and Officer length frame, which conceals great. Another option would be to look into a bobtail commander like the Ed Brown Kobra Carry, or Dan Wesson. For me, the bobtail conceals as well as an OACP and there's more grip up front where it matters. Remember, slides don't print, frames do.
    "Happiness, is a warm gun" -St. John of Liverpool

Proud to be an infidel.

I need to go check out one of those bobtails. How cheap can you get those usually?
    Glock 27
    Para LTC 1911
    Kel Tec P-3AT
    Ruger LCP

You can have a Bobtail Mainspring Housing added to any full-size 1911 frame (including alloy & Commander) but it takes a pretty skilled 'smith. The guns that COME with a Bobtail are Ed Brown and the Dan Wesson (CZ) 1911 designs and that's between $800 and $$$$. Hey wait!...I just looked at your Para LTC 1911 listed on your post. That's a 4.25" gun right? Have a Bobtail installed on your Para LTC. Problem solved! See Brownell's to order one. Alex Hamilton at Ten Ring Precision (San Antonio, Tx.) will be happy to install it. Ed Brown won't put them on anything except his own guns anymore (dang-it!).
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links