Defensive Carry banner

Backup carry weapon

3K views 26 replies 25 participants last post by  NCHornet 
#1 ·
Ok we have a thread for what you carry as a primary weapon, but what do you do and what is your secondary choice if something happens to your primary weapon.

While I wait for my Glock 36 recoil spring to come in the mail I have been carrying my EAA Witness 9mm

or if you carry two weapons on your person or in your vehicle, what is it?

#2 ·
I will tell you what my Off-Duty Carry Combination is:

Primary: S&W 22-4
BUG: S&W 442

That's for 99.9% of all carry situations. The other 0.1% of the time it's:

Primary: Glock 19
BUG: Kahr PM9

I really like the N-Frame and with an IWB Holster or a real good OWB it conceals just fine.

Biker :tumbleweed:

#7 ·
My secondary is either my Glock 27 or my S&W 640. :hand10:

#8 ·
G30 is my primary, I can use my Keltec 9 as a bug
if something happens to the G30 then my HK45 is my primary, but most of the time its my extra car weapon and my nightstand friend at the house

#9 ·
If something happens to your primary weapon I plan on RUNNING!!!

#10 ·
I carry either a Kimber Ultra, or a Glock-36...
Now one of the above is always on my side, and the other may or may not be in my car or on my coffee table.
If I carry a BUG which is seldom, one of the above is the EDC and my KelTec P-3AT is 'secondary' (tucked in a front pocked).

#12 ·
While on duty as a Police Officer my primary weapon is a Glock 23 with a S&W 640 as a BUG.

Off-duty is usually a Kahr P40 in the summer. Sometimes I will carry a Keltec P3AT as its BUG.

Off-duty in the cooler months it is either my G23 or my G27 with either my S&W 640, 60 or P3AT as a BUG.

I ALWAYS carry a BUG while working. Off-duty I carry a BUG in shady areas.

#15 ·
Primary SA 1911 GI Bug XD9 Service model

#16 ·
Backup

I switch between a few primary carry guns depending on my mood. For CCW on an average day I use a 1911, a Glock 19, or a P7M8 usually. Sometimes I add in a revolver, usually when I open carry at the gunshop. S&W 610, 19, or 15. If any one goes down I can just pick another, and I have some weak-hand holsters and mag pouches around just in case of (another) strong-side injury. My constant backup is a Kel Tec P32 that is 10+ years old. I carry in a beat up old Uncle Mike's pocket holster in my back pocket. If that goes down, I have used a Beretta or Colt .25, or a .38 or 9mm snub revolver.

#17 ·
My 24/7 always-everywhere carry gun is the the SP101 .357 snubby. When I put on a police uniform, my SIG P229 rides in the duty holster, the SP101 rides in an ankle holster, and a 4" .357 GP100 or Speed Six rides in a case between the seats. On my own time, out of uniform, I may wear an SP101 on my hip, or perhaps the Speed Six will be on the hip while the SP101 is elsewhere. If the SP101 is on my hip, perhaps the "elsewhere" gun will be the Speed Six or GP100, or another SP101, or the SIG. So, which one is the "back-up?" I guess BUG is a relative term in my case. Yes, I do believe in the wisdom of more than one weapon.

#21 ·
When carrying 2 guns... which is > 70% of the time Primary is Glock 23 and BUG is XD9sc.

Before I got the XD9sc my BUG was Ruger SP-101 or a 3 inch Ruger Speed Six. Both are .357 mags.

The times I am only carrying one gun as in while home in my small rural town of only 3,000 people I either carry the Glock or the XD. And lately just the XDsc since it is smaller than the Glock and comparable capacities.

#24 ·
I have several different options and depends on what I'm doing and wearing. Usually my bug with be a Kel-tec P11 (10%) or P32 (90%). The primary will be one of three guns but all DAO.

Just choose the combo that works for you. :yup:

#26 ·
While everyone is talking about BUGs- I don't think that is what he was asking. I think he was asking what your backup primary weapon is incase something happens to the primary.

In may case, I carry a Sig 228 or 226. If something happened to one, I'd carry the other. If something happened to both, I'd carry my S&W 66-1.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.