What do you think of this barrel?

This is a discussion on What do you think of this barrel? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife's mother just brought me a Davis Industries .32 Derringer that was found in her brother's things when he died a few years ago. ...

Thread: What do you think of this barrel?

What do you think of this barrel?

My wife's mother just brought me a Davis Industries .32 Derringer that was found in her brother's things when he died a few years ago. I spent some time cleaning it and took it out in the yard and fired one round through each barrel.

Then I cleaned some more and got these pictures. The barrel is certainly pitted, but is it too far gone to be safe? How 'bout it you experts out there?

I also think the casings have been reformed in the barrel. You can see what I'll have to call stretch marks on the upper 3/5ths of the cases. They both appear to be just a little larger diameter in that same 3/5ths of their length. I don't have a micrometer to get an accurate measurement, I just see a difference.

I've looked Davis up on the web and I know they aren't great guns. But it does fit well in my pocket and I've always thought derringers were nice. I'd like the Bond Arms version...maybe someday.
    Attached Images
    The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.

George Washington

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Correct me if I'm wrong but those look like 32ACP casings, be sure to have it checked by a gunsmith but I think it probably takes a 32 Long, which if I remember right is a slightly larger rimmed case. As far as the pitting I have a 1903 Springfield with a barrel that looks like a gravel road but it will shoot 1-1 ½ inch groups if I just do my part.

I wouldn't worry about the pitting.
    America: Your government is not ignoring you, it's insulting you.

The Bill of Rights: Void where prohibited by law.

Two separate questions

You brought up the question of the condition of the gun and whether it is safe to fire. I'd say the pitted barrel and the bulged casings are not a good sign.

But then there is the separate question of whether you want to carry a .32 caliber Davis derringer for use if your life is threatened. The caliber is inadequate, the gun brand has a very bad reputation, and derringers are difficult and slow to use compared to the alternatives.

If you are going to go to the trouble of carrying a gun for defense, don't you want a good one that is up to the task?

Hi Woodstock, I believe it's chambered for the 32 Auto. I never cared much for cheap guns, I just don't trust them. Like any other tool they allways seem to break when you need them the most. As far as calibers go, the 32 auto is a little on the small side for your main carry. It's ok for your backup. I sometime's carry a 22. mini.

VIP Member
    If you keep the rust under control and have the correct ammo; if it were mine , I'd shoot it.

I used the right ammunition

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong but those look like 32ACP casings, be sure to have it checked by a gunsmith but I think it probably takes a 32 Long, which if I remember right is a slightly larger rimmed case. As far as the pitting I have a 1903 Springfield with a barrel that looks like a gravel road but it will shoot 1-1 inch groups if I just do my part.
    Good eye on the caliber of the casings, msgt/ret (me, too, BTW. I assume you're Air Force too since you include the "t" in MSgt.) I used the right ammunition. The markings on the gun say it's chambered for .32 Auto. As you can see in this other photo, it has probably seen a lot of pocket carry already judging by the scratches.

It came from one of my wife's favorite uncles and my mother-in-law thinks enough of me to give it to me, so I'll be keeping it. And I'll carry it in a pocket sometimes, but NOT as a primary defense of me and the family.

Thanks for the opinions and advice.
    Attached Images
    The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.

George Washington

just remember this, a davis industries .32 derringer in pocket is better than two .45 acp back home or in the car under the seat. most peoples do not like a a small cal gun for defense. but i do not see any one volunteering to get shot by one.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Senior Moderator
    I've been studying the pictures of that barrel. The pictures arent of great quailty so I may be wrong...but...

It looks to me that the barrel isnt "pitted" as much as it is filthy. It may be lead deposits but it looks to me like the crud is high instead of lower into the barrel.

Looking at you shell casings looks also like a dirty chamber. Try some good gun cleaning sovent with a brass brush and see if it cleans it up. If it doesnt, go to Walmart and get some lead solvent and do it again. Your barrel may be better off than what you originally thought. In any case it couldnt hurt.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Links