Defensive Carry banner

Help me help a friend

2K views 24 replies 22 participants last post by  BIGSAM 
#1 ·
Actually a client AND a friend. He's decided it's time to get his permit...but he doesn't own a handgun. He asked me to help him find something decent...comfortable to carry(he's skinny) and he wants a .45 (that's my doin:danceban:)
The only rain in this parade, is I can't get him into a 4 inch 1911 due to costs. He has to go to NYC soon, so he's limited the budget to 600.00 or less.
I'm thinking...G36 or a G21SF if he likes them. I was leaning toward the PT1911, but I don't think he can conceal it very well.

I'm trying to get him to let of of 150.00 more..my old Stainless Pro Carry II is sitting in the display case where I traded it in for under 750.00
Any thoughts?

#2 ·
Comfortable, easy to carry and conceal, .45 power...and within the given budget...the Glock-36 is a great choice...I love mine!

#3 ·
I just got a Taurus PT 1911 for 550 OTD with a thing of bullets... Not sure if he would go for that or not but its a .45 with some room for a holster or ammo

#6 ·
Hmm... The G36 is a excellent choice. STI has that lower priced 1911 out now, the name excapes me at the moment though.
A used 220 is also a good option, but its a little tough to CC it.

#7 ·
He says his friend is skinny. So he needs a beefy gun.
He will love the Glock30. They don't call it Glock perfection for nothing!

#9 ·
I think a 30 might be a bit wide for his narrow...butt. The Sigs are a good choice...I'll have to add them to the list.
G36
Sig P220
Taurus PT
G30

How about the new Khar 45s..anyone have any experience with them?

#12 ·
I'd go with the Springfield XD45 Compact. Just about the same size as a Glock 23 with the 10 round mag, good for concealed carry. Put the 13 round mag in the pistol and stick a flashlight on the rail...perfect home defense pistol!

Mags are fairly cheap also, just a tad more than Glock mags.

:hand10:

#14 ·
I don't know how skinny your friend is, but send him down here and we'll fatten him up with some jambalaya, and he can cc anything :rofl:............problem solved

Seriously, I think he's gotten plenty of good advice from the board to try already and I agree with it. I especially like the .45 advice you gave him. Personally I'm about in the middle of weight ranges and I cc a Defender or G27 without any problems.

Of course I don't know how your friend is built, but if he continues to have trouble cc, he'll probably have to make some wardrobe changes or step down to a smaller gun. My ppk is so thin is almost disappears on me, but of course it's a lesser caliber.

#17 ·
Have you checked Guns & Leather recently? They usually have plenty of good deals on used guns (you already knew that). I got my Mil-Spec for $400 used and after a trade-in all I had to pay was $65 OTD.

There should be some used or CPO Sigs, used Glocks and other goodies well in your friend's price range.
Jack

#18 ·
I'm going to hit up Guns and Leather this week and window drool for a while.
I'll have to get him to go with me. The XDs and the Glocks feel different enough to me that I'll want him to settle between the two of 'em

#21 ·
Look at the Smith M&P 45 or a Kahr p45/ tp 45

#22 ·
I stopped by one of our local shops Tuesday to look around. I was convinced that he'd like a 4 inch XD or a G36. They had both in his price range. I called him to tell him "I was looking at his new pistol" so he hopped on the road. I waited about 45 minutes (he was @ work around an hour away)
Long story short...after fondling Glocks, XDs, 1911s...he picked out a Sig 220 and fell in love. I told him that he might have some issues carrying that size pistol...he just grinned and said...then I'll have to buy another one

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.