Help me help a friend

This is a discussion on Help me help a friend within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Actually a client AND a friend. He's decided it's time to get his permit...but he doesn't own a handgun. He asked me to help him ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me help a friend

Help me help a friend

Actually a client AND a friend. He's decided it's time to get his permit...but he doesn't own a handgun. He asked me to help him find something decent...comfortable to carry(he's skinny) and he wants a .45 (that's my doin)
    The only rain in this parade, is I can't get him into a 4 inch 1911 due to costs. He has to go to NYC soon, so he's limited the budget to 600.00 or less.
    I'm thinking...G36 or a G21SF if he likes them. I was leaning toward the PT1911, but I don't think he can conceal it very well.

I'm trying to get him to let of of 150.00 more..my old Stainless Pro Carry II is sitting in the display case where I traded it in for under 750.00
    Any thoughts?
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

2. Remove Ads

Comfortable, easy to carry and conceal, .45 power...and within the given budget...the Glock-36 is a great choice...I love mine!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array rangerman2003's Avatar
    I just got a Taurus PT 1911 for 550 OTD with a thing of bullets... Not sure if he would go for that or not but its a .45 with some room for a holster or ammo
    Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist'

De inimico non Loquaris sed cogites.

Do not wish ill for your enemy, plan for it!

Assistant Administrator
    A good condition used or ex cop certified SIG 220 is another worthy of consideration (IMO). That would stay easily within budget.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member
    XD45 of any variation would fit the bill just fine, and also in his price range.

SleepingZ

Administrator
    Hmm... The G36 is a excellent choice. STI has that lower priced 1911 out now, the name excapes me at the moment though.
    A used 220 is also a good option, but its a little tough to CC it.
    "Just blame Sixto"

He says his friend is skinny. So he needs a beefy gun.
    He will love the Glock30. They don't call it Glock perfection for nothing!
    "Planning to draw and chamber a round after TSHTF is like planning to fasten your seatbelt after you see the other guy run a stopsign..."

Professional hand engraver.
    To see full picture of knife in Avatar click here

+1 for the Glock 30. 10+1 rds of .45, easily concealed.

I think a 30 might be a bit wide for his narrow...butt. The Sigs are a good choice...I'll have to add them to the list.
    G36
    Sig P220
    Taurus PT
    G30

How about the new Khar 45s..anyone have any experience with them?
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

The PT145 (double stack) and the PT745 (single stack) are easily concealed. They are both compacts. I have the PT745 because the grip fits my hands better. I've had no problems with mine but I must admit the Heinie sights (straight eights) take some getting used to.

XD 45 Compact. With its 4 inch barrel and short grip it is easy to conceal. With the full length magazine it is 13 rounds of .45 ACP. Better ergonomics than most pistols and several nice safety features.

I'd go with the Springfield XD45 Compact. Just about the same size as a Glock 23 with the 10 round mag, good for concealed carry. Put the 13 round mag in the pistol and stick a flashlight on the rail...perfect home defense pistol!

Mags are fairly cheap also, just a tad more than Glock mags.

Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

VIP Member
    I would suggest an SA GI in 4 inch, I have seen them average $450-$500.

http://www.springfield-armory.com/armory.php?version=16

VIP Member
    I don't know how skinny your friend is, but send him down here and we'll fatten him up with some jambalaya, and he can cc anything ............problem solved

Seriously, I think he's gotten plenty of good advice from the board to try already and I agree with it. I especially like the .45 advice you gave him. Personally I'm about in the middle of weight ranges and I cc a Defender or G27 without any problems.

Of course I don't know how your friend is built, but if he continues to have trouble cc, he'll probably have to make some wardrobe changes or step down to a smaller gun. My ppk is so thin is almost disappears on me, but of course it's a lesser caliber.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Comfortable, easy to carry and conceal, .45 power...and within the given budget...the Glock-36 is a great choice...I love mine!
    Same for me...the 36 is a nice lightweight carry with .45 punch...and the price wouldn't rule it out.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links