New and Looking for Advice

This is a discussion on New and Looking for Advice within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys I am brand new here and just recieved my concealed carry license. I have been around guns my whole life but due to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hey guys I am brand new here and just recieved my concealed carry license.

I have been around guns my whole life but due to recent events here in our town and my recent marraige I feel it my duty to carry for my protection and that of my wife, I live in Blacksburg, Va which I used to think was beyond the reach of most crime but with the William Morva case the Va Tech massacre and a recent hit and run allong with the increase of meth and crack use I just dont feel safe anymore and dont want to become the next victim.

I have been looking around the site some and have a very general question that I hope doesnt spur a big arguement fest, I need to narrow my gun selection down a bit, I work where I have to tuck my shirt in all the time and I tuck my shirt in even when I go out on the weekends, so I think pocket carry may be the answer for me, I mostly wear relax fit jeans. How do you carry if you have to tuck your shirt in all the time, I could wear an IWB holster but I dont think I would feel comfortable with possible tangles untucking my shirt etc.

Now on to my next question I have to narrow gun choices down these are on my current wish list.

S&W 642
    Kahr PM9
    Sig P239
    Sig P232
    Glock 26
    Glock 27

Are there anyothers I should consider, I like the 642 for it's ease of pocket carry, but I'm not sure I am comfortable with carrying 5 rounds that arent so easy to reload....

Like I said not trying to start a debate just trying to make some good decisions from mass knowledge.

Thanks
    Josh

Choose the one that fits your hands and points naturally. All the major gun mfgs make good reliable products generally.

Also most states you can carry more than one I do.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

VIP Member
    Well we like to say that we dress around the gun. You mention that you tuck your shirt in all the time. Is that a hard and fast requirement? I do as well, it is the dress code at work.

The 642 is a good pocket carry option. I use an Uncle Mikes holster and carry mine this way in a Docker type pant.

You may also want to look into SmartCarry or a belly band type of carry if you wear a button up the front shirt and have the body type to pull it off (i.e can't be fat like me).

You will get numerous suggestions. I would take the P232 off your list for now. You are giving up a lot of power and not much size with that one. Any of the others on your list would work well depending on the type of carry you decide on.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Get what you shoot best. Go to a range that rents guns and try several. Some people love revolvers and believe it's the best. I'm an auto guy, and looking at your list- the only one I would pocket carry is the Kahr.

Kahr is a good gun, but no fun for me to shoot. The trigger pull drives me nuts. It's one of those "carry often- shoot seldom" guns. If I need to take multiple shots, Kahr gives me a poor follow up shot. There have been ocasional posts about reliability problems and needing to "break in" the gun for so many rounds.

If I were choosing from that list it would be the Glock 27. The 26 has a little less recoil and 1 more round, so it's a great choice as well. Both would have to be holster carried. My advice is the super tuck from Crossbreed holsters. It is IWB, and you would have to clear your shirt to draw, but with practice it's a quick and simple step.

Sigs are great guns and well made. They are heavier to carry, and the 239 is larger than the Glocks. But if you try them all and Sig feels the best, and you shoot it well, you would not go wrong buying one. (the same could be said for the S&W 642) Ofcourse, we all have opinions, and you will discover for yourself what works for you.

Good luck!
    G-23, 27, 35 (all .40)
    G-29 10mm
    H&K 45c
    Les Baer Thunder Ranch 5"

Yes I have to tuck my shirt in also a work requirement here. I may research the IWB shirt tucked in option. I will also further research my choices.

Thanks for the quick replies, anyone elses advice is welcome

S&W or Kahr

On your list I believe the 2 guns most suitable for pocket carry are the S&W 642 or the Kahr PM9. I have a 642 and have pocket carried it, generally in dark colored pants with large pockets. I have a Don Hume pocket holster.

Another alternative would be the small Kahr in a tuckable IWB holster. I don't have the PM9 model, but do have the similar dimensions MK9 model (all stainless and heavier). I have a Comp Tac kydex holster called the 2 O'clock, which is tuckable IWB and designed for appendix carry at the 2 o'clock position on the waist. The gun and holster are so small that it conceals well with a large dark colored shirt that is tucked in. It gives me 6+1 rounds of 9mm +P and a quick reload with a second magazine in my left hand pocket.

VIP Member
    I'm a tuck-in-the-shirt guy too, so I know where you're coming from. I've found that cargo pants have pretty good pockets for pocket carry so I do that a lot (not the cargo pockets, just the regular pockets). My wife purse-carrys a 642 and it's a good gun, lot's of guys here pocket carry it. I pocket carry another you listed and that is the g27, I really like it as a ccw, it is a little big for pocket carry, but it works out fine for me. I have carried it in a belly band with my shirt tucked in and that works okay though a little slow to draw quickly.

One thing for sure it seems that some method of carry and the weapon will work good for some folks and won't for others. That's okay just keep looking and you'll find something that will work out for you, sometimes you have to be willing to trade-off factors to make it work the best for you.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

I need to be tucked in also. I like a J frame in a Galco Pocket Protector holster. It works best with at least a 6" pocket opening.
    America: Your government is not ignoring you, it's insulting you.

The Bill of Rights: Void where prohibited by law.

Yeah I can readily switch to cargo type pants or carhart pants which have "ginormous" pockets, which may allow me to pocket carry something a tad larger, I am interested in the PM9 and think short of the 642 its the best bet for pocket carry on my list....

Senior Moderator
    Of the guns you have listed I would choose either the Kahr or the S&W.

I have to tuck in my shirt all the time at work also. I have found that Smartcarry works best for me most of the time. I also like Tuckables (Highnoon holsters have some cheap stock ones) but sometimes they don't work as well for me as Smartcarry does.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Administrator
    For pocket carry, the 642 is the best. I love the PM9, I can carry that gun just about anyway I want to. Your other choices are good guns, however they dont pocket carry very well.
    Like Scott said, I'd would forget about the 232 for now.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Well do you guys think there is something I should add to the list I am open for suggestions on other guns as well.

Senior Moderator
    Kel-Tec P3AT
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

You might look at the Kel-Tech p3at or the pf9, the Seacamp 380, NAA 380 or the Taurus 850shc. If you are not in a rush look at the Skyy or the new Walther pps - both not yet easily available.
    The p3at fits right into the pocket, better than any pistol I tried, but I didn't like the feel of it or the pf9. (see my post http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ad.php?t=32613) Many like the fit and feel of the Seacamp and NAA, but in my opinion, are heavy for the caliber. I own and like the Taurus 850shc (total Ti) it weighs the same as the 642, is slightly shorter, and although it has an integrated lock, it doesn't have the history of the Smith's lock failures. I just didn't like how the cylinder looked/ felt in my pocket (now it's my wife's carry) so I went to the PM9.
    In short go out and feel them, rent or borrow, just your hands on them and try them in the pants you will carry it in. Also, read, read , read and ask for advice, it might lead you to places you wouldn't have originally looked at. It has taken me 4 mo to find the gun that fit my requirements, so take your time. But, if your in a rush, buy something now, it's always fun to add to the collection later!

I can add another to my wish list how about a S&W M&P compact 40 for pocket duty, I saw a review online and it had basically the same footprint as a 642 with no cylinder bulge

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links