Sub Compact .45 acp?

This is a discussion on Sub Compact .45 acp? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am considering a Bersa Thunder .45 acp. How does the small frame stand up to the .45 acp recoil? The Bersa Thunder .380 has ...

Thread: Sub Compact .45 acp?

Sponsor

Sub Compact .45 acp?

I am considering a Bersa Thunder .45 acp.
    How does the small frame stand up to the .45 acp recoil?
    The Bersa Thunder .380 has a good rep and many good reviews on this forum. Does anyone have the .45? Any word out there? What is the going price for used in good condition?

I've never fired it but will try to before I commit to buy. (local private sale)

Any info/opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

2. Remove Ads

Dont forget the Glock 36. Slimmer, same length, about 8 oz. lighter, but holds one less round, 6+1. Reliability is top notch, have not had 1 failure of any kind. Just something to think about.

Kahr also makes a .45ACP that's probably reasonably tiny. But I'd bet its a lot more than the Bersa.

I'm in a similar boat as you, looking for a small lower-priced .45ACP, initially the Bersa Thunder .45 (since I love my T380!) and I'm still deciding between it and one of the big-bore EAA Witness compacts. Let us know if you get one...I've heard mostly good things about them.

I've also been considering a Bersa Thunder45 UC. I asked someone about theirs in a different forum and here's the answer he gave me:

"Yes, it's SS. They call it a bi-tone I believe. Shoots great. Trigger was a tiny bit gritty when I got it, but it's smoothed out after about 200 rds. It's not much bigger than the 380 I think. Haven't carried it yet, still waiting on a holster. They're are a little bit hard to find right now as the gun is still fairly new. Go to the BersaTalk forum and there's a sponsor there that makes nice stuff, but the typical long wait.

VERY nice gun for the price, been going up in price slightly lately. Not the fit/finish in the metal parts that my XD has, but overall A+ value. Should get one of these for $350-$400 out the door. Got mine at Buds Gunshop online."

Figured I'd share his experience.
    Mine: Glock 36............Wife's: Ruger SP101 3"
    -------Ruger SR9....................Ruger SR9c
    -------S&W SW99 .45.............Charter Arms Undercover

Hidden Defense - Personal gun & holster designs/reviews.

I've had a UC-45 for over three years and everything the previous poster said about them is 100% true. I had some trouble with FTF's and ejection (stove pipe) problems for the first year - and few hundred rounds - but finally figured out it was due to weak recoil springs on the early production guns. Bersa replaced the springs in '05 and later guns and the problems have stopped. I ordered a set of the new springs from the importer (free of charge) and have put close to 1,000 through my UC-45 since with no problems. In fact, I was at the range shooting with it earlier today. I fired a box of 50 Winchester self-defense loads (JHP) without a single problem.

FWIW, I paid $285 for my gun NIB in Aug '04 and saw them selling for $339 at a local gun show last month. I believe the guns were first released in early '03, so they have been around for a few years now. I've been very happy with mine (at least after the recoil spring related problems were fixed) and would recommend them to anyone looking for a reasonably priced, well made, user friendly pistol. If you're interested, the Bersa UC's also come in a 13+1 9mm and 10+1 40 S&W that sell for the same price as the 45.

Here is a link to a photo of my UC-45 from another post...
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

Administrator
    Hummmmmmmmmm if you're feeling a tiny bit richer today there is the STI GUARDIAN which is very thin as well as extremely compact. MSRP - Guardian $1024.00 - Nice Firearm.

Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I too, would give a vote for the Glock-36...
    Light, smaller grip than all other Glocks...
    Easy and comfortable to conceal...
    Go handle one...you'll see!

OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Sponsor
    Thanks for the replies.
    The only reason I am considering the Bersa Thunder UC .45 acp is because a colleague has one for sale for $250. I am happy with my M&P40C for my EDC and my SteyrM9A1 is an exceptional Option for "Winter carry". I have a very reliable if not "pretty" Llama .45 in their version of the Commander size. I am fascinated with the concept of a "sub compact" .45 acp but not willing to drop $600 to $1100 on a whim.
    The seller told me today that the Bersa is sold, pending payment on this coming Friday. If the sale falls through, I will be adding this to my collection.
    BTW it is the blued model but I don't know the mfg date.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Consider the Taurus MILLENNIUM PRO PT145 .45 ACP Polymer Pistol. It is lighter (empty) shorter, narrower, and holds 10 +1. All for a similar price. (Make sure it is a millennium pro and not an older millennium).

100 rounds at the range will start to get to me.

http://taurususa.com/products/produc...ategory=Pistol

Quote Originally Posted by luvmy40 View Post
    Thanks for the replies.
    The only reason I am considering the Bersa Thunder UC .45 acp is because a colleague has one for sale for $250.
    That is a great deal. But I would still opt for an XD45 compact. About twice as much for sure. Not a sub compact but only .05 inch larger 10+1 and 13 in the spare. Good rock solid reliable gun that shoots like a dream. See the XD thread. Very few have anything bad to say about it and even those comments are minor. The vast majority absolutely love them. Pick one up shoot it and it will quickly become your primary carry. In a SD role it will do everything any full size .45 will do without the need for a manual safety, in an easily concealable package.

Try the Glock 30. It's a bit wide, but after thousands of rounds I've never had a single problem. !0 + 1 rounds plenty of firepower.

I've got both a 30 & 36. The 30 has been shot A LOT and no problems at all. The 36 has had a few hundred through it before the wife made off with it, again with no problems. She likes the way it shoots and carries. I carry IWB and use a Hume holster. I'm pretty big, but I like the extra rds in the 30 and have had no problem carrying it or being made. The 200gr GD Double Tap really rocks, and they both eat it right up.
    ...one jagged hole!

Links