Defensive Carry banner

642 vs PM40

2K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  JimmyC4 
#1 ·
I currently have a P3AT as a Pocket gun for when I can not make my M&P 40 work with my wardrobe (ie Preaching on a Sunday morning). My mom has decided that she would like to have my p3at as her ccw, which is fine because I am not a fan of .380. Now I am trying to decide if mom does finalize this Do I want a 642/442 or the PM40?

That are about the same size, both would conceal in my front pocket and they are similar in number of rounds. The price difference is $200 more for the PM40. Any recommendations?

#2 ·
Well, you have to ask yourself some questions. Are you a revo man? Can you shoot one platform better than the other one? Price of ammo? Prefer the ease of reloading with the semi-auto over a revo? Prefer the slightly higher capacity of the semi-auto versus the slightly higher maintenance needs? Higher inherent reliability of revos?

Many issues need to be answered before you can decide.

#3 ·
You already have 1 .40 so if you get another it will not complicate your ammo supply (can buy one type in bulk instead of feeding muliple calibers).

Both are good guns, but if your pistols are the same caliber it is cheaper to start reloading, and easier to buy ammo in bulk.

#4 ·
As a pm9 owner i have to say neither the pm9 nor the pm 40 are for everyone . My pm 9 is dead nuts reliable ( FOR ME ). The pm series has been plagued with complaints , part justified , part due to shooter error . In order to minimize the " thickness footprint " of the Kahr line the owner ( Justin Moon ) chose to relocate the feedramp to the side . Now if all is right this does not hurt anything . However if the pistol is the least bit off , or the shooter does not have a firm grip and wrist , it can lead to frustrating experiences with the " full sized " Kahrs , much less the sub compacts . If your willing to put the effort into learning the quirks of the action IMHO there is no better " pocket rocket " than the Kahr pm series . However most folks want to buy something that does not have a learning curve. So i must advise you not to get a pm kahr unless you are willing to spend some time , ammo , and expense to train yourself into it's needs . If you allready have the skillset you will love the kahr , if you are willing to build the skillset you will love the kahr , if you want a small gun that will go bang when you buy it dont get a PM of any flavor . The PM line are fine guns , and i will stake my life on mine , but just like everyone can buy a dodge viper , but not everyone can " drive one to any part of potential or function " its a buyer beware thing .

#5 ·
I have a PM9 that is reliable and accurate.

However, when I am Off-Duty I carry Revolvers due to simplicity and ease of use, as well as reliability. In a small gun I find the revolver to be a "hair" more reliable than an autoloader.

If you are going to carry in your pocket I would favor the 642/442 option over the PM9. I find the revolver to draw from the pocket easier. Yes, it has a bit of a bulge, but a good pocket holster will conceal it.

My 442 goes in my weak side pocket, I'm dating myself with that terminology, as a BUG to my N-Frame when I am Off-Duty.

Biker :tumbleweed:

#7 ·
That is one fine post *******. I'd be proud of that one if it were mine.

You really cant go wrong with those choices, I'd probably go with whatever one carried better in my pocket.

#8 ·
Tough call

Both of the guns you mentioned are in the same size and weight category, and either will conceal equally well in a pocket. But there are some significant differences between them. I would say the 642 revolver has the advantages of:

1. Better reliability
2. Lower cost

And the Kahr MP40 has the advantages of:

1. Greater energy per shot (about twice as great)
2. Quicker reload
3. More capacity (5+1 vs. 5)

I personally own a 642 and a Kahr MK9 (small but all steel and heavy). I like reliability, and would favor the 642 over a polymer Kahr for that reason. I do trust my steel Kahr, but carry it on the belt rather than in a pocket.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.