Suggestions Needed - HD PISTOL for non-shooter

This is a discussion on Suggestions Needed - HD PISTOL for non-shooter within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Good morning Gentlemen, My son called this morning and told us his house alarm went off lin the middle of the night around 3:00 AM. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions Needed - HD PISTOL for non-shooter

Good morning Gentlemen, My son called this morning and told us his house alarm went off lin the middle of the night around 3:00 AM.
    He, his wife and two small sons were scared stiff and waited upstairs in their bedroom waiting on the police to arive.
    The police discovered someone was trying to break in through the rear French doors of his house and ask him if he had any defensive weapons in the house to protect himself with.
    Well his answer was "no" and they made the comment that he and his wife should consider getting one.
    Well he and his wife are some of these wimpy souls that are afraid to have a gun in the house because of the boy's.
    How one of those came out of my house beats the heck out of me, but sure enough I've never been surprised because he took after his mother and never did care for shooting .
    Just the opposite with his sister.
    He wants to come over and talk guns tonight and I wanted to ask you guys if you can think of a good small 9mm SAO pistol.
    I'd like it to be smm, but not Kel-Tec small.
    As soft a shooter as possible and not really concerned about cost.
    (Remember now...I said "PISTOL") and yes they will both take classes or nothing from me.
    Thanks,
    JimK

Just my $.02, might want to think S&W 4" .38 and a bedside quick access safe.

And did you mean a DAO?
    CARRY GUNS:
    S&W 638, Ruger LCP, Kimber Ultra CDP

Senior Moderator
    A for home defense a pistol would not be my first, second or third choice. But you asked for a 9mm pistol so that's what you get.

I would lean to a CZ-75 variant all are DA/SA or SA cocked & locked. 75B full size easy to shoot 17 rnds, 75C 14 rnds (and my personal fav.) or the CZ RAMI 14 rnds which is probably the easiest to carry.

Glocks are probably the easiest pistol for a newb shooter to pick up and run with but they are DAO

I must add for home defense I would go with a pistol caliber carbine (or M1 carbine) or shotgun first and revolver second for a non gun person wanting a good defensive tool.
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Since you're looking for something at the lower end of recoil and for "housegun" duty, I'd recommend something simple to operate without any regard for concealability, weight, etc. Perhaps a Glock 17 or Springfield XD Tactical in 9 mm.

And with their concern for the kids, for about $100-150, add something like this to their bedroom:

And, maybe one of these:

"It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Taurus has a nice 1911 that is SA for a decent price.
    http://www.taurususa.com/products/pr...ategory=Pistol

Berreta 92 line is a decent DA/SA weapon.
    http://www.berettausa.com/product/pr...stols_main.htm

But like stated above, in home defense the pistol should be used to fight your way to your long arms. Nothing says get the hell out like a good ole fashioned pump shotgun.
    http://www.remington.com/products/fi...uns/model_870/

Hope this info helps, and glad that incident with your son went no further than a break in attempt.

Dave

Senior Moderator
    That's Gentlemen, AND Ladies...

I know, I know, you said small pistol, and to that I'm going to recommend either a Taurus, either the PT111 or the 24/7 Pro, the Glock, or even the S&W M&P9C.

They are all small, all fairly reasonable in price, but none or which I would recommend for first time shooters and home protection.

Unless they intend to do some serious practicing with the semi-auto, it could actually HINDER them in a home invasion. Even if they keep it in a safe loaded, cocked and locked, and they pull the trigger and the gun jams, unless they know what to do and have practiced, the pistol may end up costing them their lives.

A revolver is great for any novice shooter because it's as simple as pulling the trigger, again and again and again.

I'd go with a S&W .357 in all steel.. Size not withstanding. But that's my recommendation.

Other than that, I'd let THEM decide what they want. If they are going to have it in their home and use it for home defense, then they should be the ones to pick it out and feel comfortable with it.

All too often I've seen this at work (I work in a gun shop). A man will come in and pick out a gun for his wife. She trusts him so she takes the gun he gives her. She shoots it, she hates it, therefore she immediately thinks she HATES shooting and wants nothing to do with it. Perhaps, if he had let her choose a gun for herself and get all the options, she would have picked something different and loved it.

It's the same here. Your son trusts you and he's going to take whatever advice you give him as directly from the mouth of god, and if it doesn't work for him AND his wife, then it may be worthless.

Will the wife put in enough time and effort to learn the weapon? Will the son? Will they know what to do if/when the gun jams? Will they take the time to learn to clean and properly maintain it?

These are some serious questions that need to be considered.

Even though the thread is about a small pistol - as my defensive handgun class instructor said, "Nothing says 'Get out!' like the clack-clack of a pump shotgun being cycled."
    "Bad spellers of the world - untie!"

DAV Life member, NRA Life member

Springfield XD 9mm Sub-Compact
    Taurus PT111 Millennium Pro 9mm

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    Will the wife put in enough time and effort to learn the weapon? Will the son? Will they know what to do if/when the gun jams? Will they take the time to learn to clean and properly maintain it?
    Lima said it all.

My wife prefers a revolver because she doesn't have to worry about clearing a jam or a safety. Take your son to a range and let him and his wife try some different options.
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Even though the thread is about a small pistol - as my defensive handgun class instructor said, "Nothing says 'Get out!' like the clack-clack of a pump shotgun being cycled."

I agree, for an "entrenched" position the Shotgun is the way to go. For searching through the house to see if that "bump in the night" was an intruder I would have to say you need a handgun. As far as Handguns I would say, get a 686 Revolver and load it with 38 Special. Revolvers have a much more simple manuel of arms. There is a lot to be said for "simple' at 0300 Hours when awakened from a "dead sleep".

Biker

BTW: A 20 Guage works just fine for a HD Weapon. Remember, this will be considered a "pool weapon" and need to be fired by the weakest, smallest most recoil sensitive person that has access to the guns in that house. I am not sure who that would be in your son's house.

Biker

3 Suggestions...

Quote Originally Posted by JimK68 View Post
    I wanted to ask you guys if you can think of a good small 9mm SAO pistol. I'd like it to be small, but not Kel-Tec small. As soft a shooter as possible and not really concerned about cost.
    I presume you mean DAO pistol?

You said small but not like a Keltec, so I assume you mean compact, as in a barrel of 3.5 to 4.0 inches. I would suggest either a Sig P239 with DAK trigger (DAO), a Glock 19, or a Kahr K9 (all steel model). These are all good, reliable guns with a DAO trigger and no external safety. As long as they are kept in a holster or locked in a quick access safe they are safe to store with a chambered round for quick use.

There's more to consider than gauge when shotgun recoil is being considered. A lightweight 20 often recoils as much as a heavier 12. As for pistols filling your criteria...any of the three featured above would be tough to beat.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Slightly off the thread, but IMHO...In the 'talk' you have with your son, remember when you mention them taking classes to also encourage firearm safety ed with your grandsons. Boys (I have two-12 & 8) are naturally curious. Don't let a gun in the house be 'some big secret' they don't know about. It may have skipped a generation, but you may generate their interest in an enjoyable lifelong activity.

VIP Member
    Ghost,

For a new shooter I can't recommend the DAO SIG's enough! I also would not recommend a Glock for a new shooter... that's just me.

I think either the P-229 DAO/SAS or P-239 DAO/SAS would be great for your son.

I would hope he would be willing to put the time in to be competent with a handgun and also willing to look at study material regarding the use of deadly force.

Hang in the bro... you've got your work cut out for you!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

The above recommendations are all good. Just make sure the training is there before it is used for SD.

Also you can talk about all the above guns, but don't have him buy without his wife being there also. She needs to at least hold the gun if not rent and shoot it.

Check with your local range that rents guns. I know the range here has $1 Wed night gun rental. You could go in and try out 10 or 15 different guns for a couple of bucks. If you stay with the same caliber then it is really cheap.
    NRA Rifle Coach
    NRA Pistol Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection In the Home Instructor

--- Some of the friendliest people I have ever talked to are gun owners and shooters and according to the gun activists we are the mass murders and felons of the nation???

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links