Beretta APX review

Beretta APX review

This is a discussion on Beretta APX review within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My APX arrived this morning as I was sitting in my office with my two lead firearms instructors and another officer (read as employees) talking ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Beretta APX review

Beretta APX review

My APX arrived this morning as I was sitting in my office with my two lead firearms instructors and another officer (read as employees) talking about summer firearms training and qualifications. The gun was passed from person to person with the comment of "wow, that feels really good in the hand" being repeated by everyone. I especially liked how deeply round and undercut the trigger guard was, Glock knuckle is very real but Beretta knuckle will not be. We took turns field stripping the APX, dry firing the APX, and other general gun manipulation fun. The general comments now were "That was way easier to breakdown than I read on the net", "It has an amazing reset" and "The trigger is different, but a good kind of different". I understand why people say they can feel a "pivot" but it was not that pronounced to me. The Lyman digital trigger pull gauge came out and the average of 3 pulls was 6lbs 3.2oz, although we all guesstimated 5.3-5.5lbs before we put it to the test. We recently tested and evaluated the M&P M2.0 and Sig P320 and would put the overall quality of the APX trigger in the same category, perhaps slightly better than the S&W (thanks to their hinged trigger design). Plus as we continued to rack, dry fire, rack dry fire, rack, dry fire, we all perceived the trigger to be getting even smoother. I will put it on the Lyman again after putting the first 1,000 rounds through it.

Everyone also loved the slide serrations as far as functionally went, but we were split on the looks. The finish on the slide is flat black and very utilitarian, as one would expect on a duty gun. The grip texture is very good without being abrasive. We started swapping back straps with one person loving the large and the other two (myself included) preferring the medium (for now). The small was really too small for any of us but would be perfect for someone with very small hands or very short trigger reach. Swapping the backstraps is quick and easy if you have the right tool and good lighting. The sights are very good for a gun of this type, along the lines of the stock metal sights on the other two aforementioned duty guns and drastically better than Glock plastic sights. The magazines are excellent, well made, and nicely finished. Mag pricing is actually really good for bulk packed mags which will definitely help when selling people on the APX. The P320 and PPQ mags are more expensive, heck even the Ruger American mags are more expensive. My APX came with 3 mags (LE version) and I got 3 more delivered for under $100.

My round table desktop review came to a close as I wanted to go shoot it. Keeping in mind that this was a discerning group who is not afraid to criticize, overall everyone's opinion was quite favorable and even leaning toward impressed. Even the person who I expected to be the least impressed with the design seemed to be won over by the APX. The only negative comment was how the trigger dingus (safety) did not press flush or nearly flush into the trigger itself (and that was me!). Something that will easily be remedied with some sand paper as soon as spare parts are available or Apex make their trigger available. As a big M&P fan God knows I love to spend money at Apex Tactical. The guys even asked if they could take it to the range to break it in for me, but they knew better.

I grabbed a couple boxes of ammo (100 rounds) and set out for the range. The APX was boringly reliable, able to produce very tight groups when time was not an object, and more than capable of minute of bad guy when the pressure to shoot fast was on. The controls are all easy to reach, the slide lock/release lever was very easy to manipulate, mag ejection was consistent and with more than enough power to send an empty mag flying, and the recoil and flip are just as soft and manageable as other reviewer have indicated. This is a very flat shooting gun for sure. Half of which I credit to the mechanical design and the other half being excellent ergonomics. This gun really feels great in the hand.

To play devil's advocate here, they should have had a tritium sight option ready by it's release date (or at least gave the specs to companies like Trijicon, Ameriglo, Dawson, Truglo, etc. so they could) and the trigger dingus really should have been flush or flat, either way. That's pretty much it. The APX is a duty gun and it was clearly designed to be a very good one. As far as gamers, the tacticool crowd, and weekend warriors go the aftermarket will hopefully come along and offer custom colored cerakote slides, extended levers, mag extensions, etc. to make the design more appealing to them.

I am really looking forward to getting in some more range time with it and really putting it through the ringer. I own and shoot many different duty guns from Glock, Sig, XD, S&W, Walther, and H&K. The APX is right up there with the best of them. I could easily see this gun becoming widely adopted by law enforcement even if it is late to the party. Beretta claims to have done some serious research when designing and tweaking this gun, using people from LE and the military. Based on the final results I would say that claim has been confirmed. They really did a great job on the APX.

maxwell97, BCC73, .XX and 1 others like this.

Thanks for the great write-up.

For some reason I find this one to be more appealing than the P320. Both seem to be priced similarly, and lower (for non-LE, at least) than comparable Glocks. It sounds like you've fired both, would you have a preference between the Beretta and Sig?
    mlk18 likes this.
    "Lots of ways to help people. Sometimes heal patients; sometimes shoot dangerous people. Either way helps."
    - Dr. Mordin Solus

After being a long time Glock 19 carrier, I jumped ship. Nowadays my two primary carry guns (and duty guns) are the M&P9 and P320C. Both of those guns are similar in size due to the Sig's higher bore axis. I actually bought the APX specifically because it was presented as being as modular as a Sig P320 with the lower bore axis of the M&P9. In fact it might even be a touch lower than the M&P9. The new trigger on the APX is not as good as my Apex enhanced M&P (obviously) or my P320C with Apex flat faced trigger, but it is better than the M&P was in stock configuration and on par with the P320 in stock configuration. Plus I think it will break in nicey. In the end they are all good guns but the ergos of the APX are winning me over. It's almost Browning High Power-ish. Plus the slide serrations are much more functional than I imagined they would be. I need more range time with it and still want night sights, but I could easily see this putting the aforementioned S&W and Sig into backup roles.
    maxwell97 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the great write up! Looks like Beretta has a very solid pistol in the APX.

.XX
    Thanks OP
    Beretta APX -vs- M&P 2.0 (?)

Those slide serrations are fugly, but...I imagine with wet, gloved hands, they would come into their own.
    The number of people killed because they didn't have "enough gun" is dwarfed by those who had none at all.

how much did you pay for it?

Quote Originally Posted by .XX View Post
    Thanks OP
    Beretta APX -vs- M&P 2.0 (?)
    That was exactly what I had to decide when I knew I was going to buy a new gun! The M2.0 trigger is much better than the M1.0 and perhaps a touch better than the APX. I would really need to have them side by side to compare. Ergonomically I love the M&P series but would still give the edge to the APX and the APX is a little flatter shooting too. I think they are both great guns so it would really come down to personal preference. Right now the M2.0 has more aftermarket support, but I am hoping the APX catches up eventually.
    .XX likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahunua View Post
    how much did you pay for it?
    $480. Which is a touch high for a LE/MIL gun, but sits in the sweet spot for civilian sales (less then P320 or Gen4 Glock but more than an M&P 2.0). Prices will likely fluctuate as time goes on.

Let us know how it handles Steel ammo and what in JHP it likes.
    Gun culture at its best is rooted in a desire to protect, and especially to protect the people we love-Rachel Lu (University of St. Thomas)

Quote Originally Posted by Kennydale View Post
    Let us know how it handles Steel ammo and what in JHP it likes.
    I have only fired 100 rounds of 124 grain TMJ through it at this point. But during my next outing I will grab some Tula and my preferred duty load, 147 grain HST +P.
    Kennydale likes this.

Another pic. I am hoping to take some more pics (with an actual camera) on Friday comparing the APX to some other duty sized guns and after trying out a variety of holsters.

I pulled out a new Safariland 576 Pro Fit GLS. Says it is adjustable to fit the Glock 19, FNS9, Ruger SR9, M&P45, SW99, SD40, H&K P2000, H&K USP, H&K 45C, Walther PPQ, Walther P99, and about 100 other guns. I have a few Pro Fit holsters and they really do fit a ton of different guns with only minor adjustments. They are very versatile, durable, and not that costly. But it did NOT fit the APX no matter how I adjusted it. The width of the slide made it in the but the width of the trigger guard did not. If I loosened the top phillips head screw that secures the holster together (not a retention or adjustment screw) a measly 1 turn out, then it would fit and the retention would even work. I would not trust the holster in that state however. If I put some loctite on the end of the screw and then screwed it in just deep enough to fit the APX, perhaps with a washer or lock washer under the head of screw, then I think it would work just fine. I am undecided if I am going to modify the 576 in that manner or just wait for a dedicated holster.

I also tried it in a variety of holsters I have for the P320, Glock, M&P's, etc. and it was a no go in all of them. Mostly because the slide was just a touch too wide.

To me it's always function over form.

I don't care what a pistol looks like as long as it works well (except of course Hi-Points and Glocks)
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

Pulled a few guns out of the safe just to compare sizes. In the end they are all really about the same size, although the P320 has a longer slide. The P320C is actually nearly the same size as the APX. The M&P and the APX are extremely comparable. I also threw in the obligatory photo of the APX next to a Glock 19.

Kennydale likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links