Is the pocket gun enough? - Page 2

Is the pocket gun enough?

This is a discussion on Is the pocket gun enough? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My carry has turn into a Sig 238 with 2 extra mags. It's about the only way I can carry right during the week. I ...

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Like Tree528Likes

Thread: Is the pocket gun enough?

My carry has turn into a Sig 238 with 2 extra mags. It's about the only way I can carry right during the week. I hope this will be enough.
    AzQkr, Old Man and AZMacaw like this.
    Marine Corps 75-79
    NRA
    Florida Carry
    CCW SAFE
    Colt, Sig, S&W, Browning, Remington

Senior Member Array CommonCents's Avatar
    i just have a shotgun racking sound app on my phone ;)

It's been more than enough for me so far...
    AzQkr, PEF and Old Man like this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

It MAY be enough if shot placement is on the money, BUT........I sure would not feel comfortable with just a pocket gun.

Ain't no way......at least for me.
    AzQkr, Old Man, DHart and 1 others like this.

Ok, how about two pocket guns? No one said you only had to have one.
    The number of people killed because they didn't have "enough gun" is dwarfed by those who had none at all.

Thanks for sharing Brownie.

I carry a pocket gun quite often.
    Around the farm the LCP is often the only one on my person with something more substantial close to hand.
    For the short trips to town I usually add a S&W 36 snub IWB cross draw on my left side. Plenty of firepower for most likely threats I might face.

That said:
    I began to transition to a medium sized semi-auto a couple of years ago as my primary EDC when away from home.
    First was a Ruger P95, but I was not impressed with the accuracy it gave me. It now resides in the bedside pistol safe as primary HD.
    My current EDC is a Glock 19 gen 4. It has proven to be reliable (2000+ rounds through it now) and holds a 2" group at 25yd from a rest. Don't believe I can ask for better from a stock pistol.

Around my sleepy little rural area a five shot snub will most likely do what I need.

Nationally our reality is changing. Last summer I missed the protesters that blocked I-94 in Minneapolis by about half an hour. That one was peaceful, not all have been. There were some choice words around the Children's hospital when they found out that there was an ambulance stuck in traffic due to their protest. They didn't make any friends there that day.
    That 16 shot P95 felt pretty good as we headed back towards home that afternoon.

I'm not willing to stop living my life because there are those who wish me harm. I AM willing to make some changes to increase the odds in my favor in case I am forced into a confrontation by them.
    Carrying a higher capacity pistol and dressing to accommodate it is a minor inconvenience IMO.
    AzQkr, Remy, Pijo73 and 5 others like this.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

VIP Member
    The J-frame firing from a coat or jacket pocket is the fastest move I have. The hand-on-gun pocket draw from my weak side pants pocket is the fastest draw I have. For up-close-and-personal, need-it-right-now, yeah, more than enough.
    AzQkr, Haywood, PEF and 4 others like this.
    "Ideals are peaceful. History is violent."

Don Collier, Fury

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    The J-frame firing from a coat or jacket pocket is the fastest move I have. The hand-on-gun pocket draw from my weak side pants pocket is the fastest draw I have. For up-close-and-personal, need-it-right-now, yeah, more than enough.
    Looking at it that way, a pocket gun may actually be an optimal solution rather than a compromise. Most other carry methods don't allow one to grip the gun without risk of looking like one is gripping a gun. Since, generally speaking, the defender has to be (at best) the second person to display lethal force, that's a pretty serious consideration.
    AzQkr, Mike1956, Pijo73 and 7 others like this.
    "...there is no arguing with such snivelling puppies, who allow superiors to kick them about deck at pleasure."

– Captain Bellamy

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by maxwell97 View Post
    Looking at it that way, a pocket gun may actually be an optimal solution rather than a compromise. Most other carry methods don't allow one to grip the gun without risk of looking like one is gripping a gun. Since, generally speaking, the defender has to be (at best) the second person to display lethal force, that's a pretty serious consideration.
    Many a night I approached a stopped m/v with my hand on a j frame off side the duty gun when approaching the drivers window. An former chief gave me that advice when I first came on his dept. In the winters back east, it was fairly common to shove a J frame in the coat pocket, when it would take an act of congress to unzip the jacket and access the belted primary.

Today, it's the NAA22mag PUG that gets that duty. It's cupped in my hand while I walk through parking lots, there's few days a jacket is needed here during the year.
    The mind is the limiting factor

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

To me, the question has everything to do with caliber and ammunition choice and very little to do with capacity.

I would like to take a pocket pistol oriented course, though!
    AzQkr and Old Man like this.

Albuquerque, NM (although not really NEW, not really MEXICO!)
    Glockman pretty well sums it for me as well. While i don't fault anybody for carrying a G19 and a backup, 90% of time my EDC is a .380 pocket pistol, usually my TCP. I do train monthly with it in a tactical shooting class drawing from concealment and put 50 rds through it. I can easily shoot 3 rds, in 3 seconds at 3 yds and hit center mass, either one or 2 handed.
    At home there is a couple of larger guns close by. camping/hiking/walking the dog at night heightens the risk factor and I arm up accordingly with a Shield or RAMI but for everyday, back and forth the work with an occasional stop at Smith's, my pocket gun is adequate for me, don't even usually carry a 2nd mag. But I am ALWAYS carrying now, where it's legal of course, where as before I always had an excuse not to strap on one of my hip guns.

CZ 2075 RAMI 9mm
    CZ75 B 9mm
    S&W M&P Shield 9mm
    Taurus TCP 738 .380
    Bersa Thunder .380 (Wife's)
    Sig Sauer P238 .380 (Wife's)

Quote Originally Posted by drmordo View Post
    To me, the question has everything to do with caliber and ammunition choice and very little to do with capacity.

I would like to take a pocket pistol oriented course, though!
    drmordo, what I find, is that most of these debatable topics are very elementary in nature.

Whether it be a training technique, gun choice, caliber, or whatever.

At some point, there has to be a progession from the amateur way of thinking, to a point where we see more than just what we want to see, ie...the bigger picture.

For almost 20 years coming up thru the ranks of Chinese Kenpo, it wasn't long before I saw many parallels between it, and the defensive gun training community.

There came a time that I noticed the higher learned belts did not have the same debates over technique, form, blocks or strikes that the novice did.....as a matter of fact, as you progressed, the moves lost all resemblance of the strictly formed blocks, foot placement, and everything else ingrained in the lower ranks.

Today when I see a "guru" firearms instructor, or even one that has many schools under their belts do the draw, pull in to the chest, press out, fire, pull back to the chest, and do the famous left-right scan, it cracks me up.

Same goes with debates on weapon size, capacity or caliber, or training.
    At some point, the student must progress to a level where concern about fights, weapons and calibers are no longer the concern that consumes their time and effort.

Feelings are great for sex, but not for firearms. I submit that if one carries a certain thing solely on it making them feel better, than the money might be better spent on a chiropractor or prostitute.

What I find is that the novice will never feel secure, regardless of what he chooses because his mind can continually produce a problem that gives him doubt.
    A person who is not concerned with those things is someone who's mind is incapable of doubt, regardlessthe situation or tool at hand because they have achieved a level of confidence in THEMSELVES and THEIR abilities, regardless of what they have to work with.

Years ago, when I began in Kenpo, my instructor told me that an amatuer will always worry about the fight, be it come or not.
    The advanced fighter, never loses sleep, or is concerned with what ifs...

Sorry for the ramble, it's late, and I just wanted to share my thoughts.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight"
    -Jeff Cooper

Senior Member Array 2ndunamended's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post

I submit that if one carries a certain thing solely on it making them feel better, than the money might be better spent on a chiropractor or prostitute.
    Priceless. So good.
    maxwell97 likes this.
    With his pistol drawn, decisive judgement could be reached and reached quickly.

NRA Life Member
    Gun Owners of America Member
    NRA certified Range Safety Officer

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    At some point, there has to be a progession from the amateur way of thinking, to a point where we see more than just what we want to see, ie...the bigger picture.
    Sound wisdom there. I'm no advanced fighter, but I've seen the same arc in myself in my profession as an engineer. When I was younger I worried constantly about knowing the right diagrams and equations and charts and nomenclature. After a couple of decades of training and work experience, I don't any more. Not because I know them all, but because I understand the principles I have to apply to solve a problem, and I make my own diagrams and equations and so on to fit the problem, instead of trying to fit the problem to the methods someone else put in a book.

When it comes to fighting, I think what Bruce Lee said about it makes sense: "There’s only one basic principle of self-defense - you must apply the most effective weapon, as soon as possible, to the most vulnerable target." Of course there are a lot of details that can go into doing that, and time must be spent to learn them. But it's easy to lose sight of that principle when one starts to worry about "the right gun". Each person has their own situation to deal with, and if all one can carry is a snubbie or a pocket 380 because of the office dress code, learning to use it well is a lot more productive than being worried about not having an Uzi. A pocket gun is an effective weapon, if applied as soon as possible to the most vulnerable target.
    "...there is no arguing with such snivelling puppies, who allow superiors to kick them about deck at pleasure."

– Captain Bellamy

Administrator
    Not enough gun is one heck of a lot more gun than no gun at all.

Having gotten that "not so profound" statement out of the way....I honestly believe that it is of primary importance to carry "whatever" when ever possible.

Trouble seems to arrive at some of the most completely and unexpected times.

A pocket firearm is totally more effective than the brick that is laying on the ground 20 feet away.

The smallest of advantages can be the greatest advantage even if the only advantage you gain is to get your person the hell away from a potentially deadly threat.

The ultimate goal always being just to get out of immediate deadly danger.

Just practice with what you ultimately elect to carry and never carry deeper than you realistically need to.

Because if you cannot get to it quick enough....that counts exactly the same as if you left it at home underneath your socks in your top dresser drawer.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links