Is the pocket gun enough?

This is a discussion on Is the pocket gun enough? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/is-...et-gun-enough/...

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree529Likes

Thread: Is the pocket gun enough?

Sponsor

The mind is the limiting factor

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

I suppose it depends what you pocket carry, my 2 choices for shorts and a T-shirt weather are Sig 938, or my Ruger LCR in 9mm, they fit fine in a pocket, I don't feel under gunned and they are plenty accurate. Unless of course you don't practice with what you carry.
    AzQkr, Old Man, Rhinoman and 1 others like this.

I read the whole article. Guessing the theory goes back to a single sentence. "Only HITS matter." So, if I'm competent with a J-frame, it "should" be enough?
    (uhhh, most of the time...sort of)
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I carry Two Snubs with 38+P and reloads every day. I try to stay alert and out of places I shouldn't go. 65 years old and no problems so far. I am confident I could handle anything I'm going to run into. Im not looking to stop a bank robbery or mass shooting. I just want to get to cover or get out.
    Instymp, AzQkr, SWIll and 9 others like this.
    Two Revolvers, Two Reloads, every day, all day.

If n its a J Frame its more than enough, imo.
    AzQkr, Haywood, Doogie and 1 others like this.
    “He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose.”

― Jim Elliot

My G43 pocket carry is enough for me.
    AzQkr and Li11y like this.
    "Lets Be Careful Out There!"

Ron

It's not common for me to carry a single stack pistol. When I chose my G43 it has +2 Taran baseplates with a second mag with +2 in the pocket as well. It shoots like a full size weapon, but I prefer to have my P320 and one or two 15 rd mags; just for good feels.

Quote Originally Posted by Haywood View Post
    ...I just want to get to cover or get out.
    The older I get, the more cover...I require.
    OldChap, Instymp, AzQkr and 18 others like this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

I guess for me the operative word is proficiency. I am proficient enough with my M&P Bodyguard 380 that I would most likely be able to qualify to carry it as a primary weapon under my old department rules. (Even though I didn't carry) I usually carry one spare mag for it, but have been known to carry two.

Since retirement, my dress code options are way more relaxed and since I'm officially now an old goat, I can wear an untucked button down or big loose T-shirt every day. That allows me to carry almost any Glock or 1911 I want, which is what I have.

My other backup is a PF-9, but I'm planning on changing the trigger assembly out. It is the one gun I own that really needs it. I'll probably carry two spare mags for it as well. Would I carry only my backup? Probably not. Two backups? Maybe.

My wife has a neat little Ruger LCR, but I can't get within 5 yards of it!!!
    AzQkr, redmc and Old Man like this.

It is for me. Your situation may be different. Usually a 638 in the front pocket, or a Bodyguard 380 on occasion. Work in a NPE.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk
    Old Man and Haywood like this.
    Mike
    I will rarely post, but will read (and hopefully learn) a lot

Good article. I have only pocket carried an LCP and never did pocket the snubby, just too heavy. I have shot the 38 for over 20 years and the LCP was not difficult to get hits with although it does pinch my trigger finger. I started to pocket the LCP more than I thought I should so I got a Glock 43. I know that is a pocket gun to some but it is a 3:00 IWB carry for me. While it has the same capacity the way I carry it as my LCP at 7+1 I could not believe how good I was shooting it compared to either the snub or the LCP. It was an eye opener and I had to admit I was carrying the wrong gun for the right reasons. I wanted concealment so I went as small as I could when I really did not need to. Turns out that I can carry the 7+1 single stack 9 every day just like the LCP and have an easier shooting gun in a larger caliber too. I carry two 8 round spare mags as well now. I have not carried the snub or the LCP since I bought the Glock although I will slip the LCP into my left front pocket when open carrying my woods revolver this season. Next winter it may also be in a coat pocket as a quicker addition to the belt gun in heavy winter clothing, who knows. Pocket guns have their place and nothing hides like an LCP size gun but, sometimes a little larger gun makes a world of difference drawing and shooting .
    Old Man likes this.
    "I do not carry a gun so I can impose my will on someone else, I carry a gun so someone else cannot impose their will on me."
    Lynn Givens

Is a pocket gun enough? Yes, If I'm being attacked at close range. Such as someone trying to get in my car or truck. If I'm at home and the distance is opened to say half the length of my driveway[50 yards] Maybe not so much! DR
    Rainsong, Old Man and AZMacaw like this.

During the day, my Glock 42 is carried in a cargo pocket. When I can, I carry a larger pistol as primary, but most days, the G42 has to do.
    AzQkr, drift and Old Man like this.

It depends. A pocket gun is good enough until it's not. But life is a balance of decisions.

For example, I've been carrying a pocket .380 for the past couple of weeks due to the flare up of a back injury. The weight of a full sized gun and mags was nearly guaranteed to increase my pain, while the chances of having to employ the .380 these past couple weeks has been low since I've not ventured out any beyond what was required for work and doctor visits.

Risk management in this case drove me to a smaller less capable gun, and now that I'm coming back out of the pain cycle I'm glad I didn't prolong it or make it worse by carrying a hefty 1911.
    Ride hard, shoot straight, always speak the truth

It is for me, and has been for most of my adult life.

While these debates are interesting, it is still all very subjective.

Sometimes when reading forums and other subject matter, it seems that we have progressed from a defensive carry group, to a prepared for urban warfare group.

IMO, the biggest lie put forth is that you are making a mistake by basing your carry on perception or statistics.
    The folly in that is that every armed organization in the world arms up based on current intel and information at hand.

The term "common sense" has been wrongly associated with gun legislation, and thereby deemed a bad terminology, but the truth is, common sense is never out of style, or an undesirable thing.

While I will refuse to fault anyone for feeling the need to wear a Bat Belt to the local grocer armed with 2 handguns and 45 rounds, knife, flashlights and all manner of pocket stuffers, I can say that I am glad that I am not counted in to that number, and feel every bit prepared to handle whatever I need to with 5-10 shots, a pocket knife, and wallet stuffed with money, backed up by a problem solving brain and healthy heart capable of providing my legs all the juice they need in an egress, or my hands and in a "ground and pound".
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight"
    -Jeff Cooper

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links