Kahr problem PM9

This is a discussion on Kahr problem PM9 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; No, I am not going to call AAA. The problem is my wife's relatively new Kahr PM9 fails to extract an unfired round when the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kahr problem PM9

Kahr problem PM9

No, I am not going to call AAA.

The problem is my wife's relatively new Kahr PM9 fails to extract an unfired round when the slide is manually racked. At first I thought the out-of-box round was too long: the bullet wouldn't clear the barrel. But then I realized I couldn't rack the slide fully to the rear. It's happened three times now. The first time I cleared it by discharging the round. The second time it cleared by forcefully racking the slide and successfully came out. This last time, today, I had to discharge the weapon to clear it.

Just under 500 rounds have been fired otherwise flawlessly. It's been cleaned and lubed per the manual.

Any advice before I take it to the shop? Thanks in advance!
    "Our Constitution was made only for a religious and moral people. It is wholly inadequate for the government of any other." --- John Adams
    (1735-1826) Founding Father, 2nd US President
    Source: Oct. 11, 1798; Address to the military

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    They way I understand your post, there is nothing wrong with the pistol. Your supposed to put some umph behind it when you rack the slide by hand.
    If I misunderstood your post, I would look at the ammo first... maybe try several types before sending it in. If it is the pistol, the extractor may need a little work.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    They way I understand your post, there is nothing wrong with the pistol. Your supposed to put some umph behind it when you rack the slide by hand.
    If I misunderstood your post, I would look at the ammo first... maybe try several types before sending it in. If it is the pistol, the extractor may need a little work.
    Sixto, I think your second thought about the extractor is probably more in line with what I assess the problem to be. I have another PM9 of my own to compare, and the slide works the same without the failure to eject as I described for the wife's. Hers, by the way, always ejects an expended shell. It's only a live round that is failing to eject when the slide is manually racked with even a lot of "umph!"

So with the errant PM9 in question, I will start fiddling with the extractor. Maybe I missed some debris in there, though I doubt it...
    "Our Constitution was made only for a religious and moral people. It is wholly inadequate for the government of any other." --- John Adams

Administrator
    If you do the fiddling yourself, be careful. A lot goes a long way with an extractor.
    "Just blame Sixto"

So with the errant PM9 in question, I will start fiddling with the extractor. Maybe I missed some debris in there, though I doubt it...
    I wouldn't touch the extractor.

The "problem" you are describing is something that I have heard discussed before about the micro series Kahrs, and really isn't something to worry about. It relates, if I recall correctly, to the size of the ejection port and the very little to no clearance that is there for a live round to be ejected. You'll notice that there is a scallop-shaped cutout at the forward (muzzle) end of the port, which I think is to create enough room for the tip of the bullet to clear on its way out. However, there is not much clearance to spare and, as SIXTO said,

Your supposed to put some umph behind it when you rack the slide by hand.
    Sorry I can't remember where I read about the ejecting idiosyncrasy of the Kahr micros with regard to live, unfired rounds, but I know I did indeed read about it and it's normal, I think. Before touching the extractor, call Kahr. They'll straighten things out over the phone and let you know quickly whether this is normal.

10-4 all. Thanks. Kahr's on the list for a call Monday.

Definetly call Kahr before you mess with anything!! No quicker way to void a warranty. Good Luck, being that your other gun will expell a live round without a hitch I don't think this is normal and I would want the problem fixed.
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Kahrs are well known to require a break in period before being reliable, but usually 200-300 rounds is enough. Yours is a little beyond that but may just need some more breaking in.

Sponsor
    If it ejects the empties on firing it reliably [ which it sounds like from your post ], I'd suggest there's nothing wrong with the firearm and don't worry about it.

Brownie
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Administrator
    Well, if the slide can't be pulled far enough to the rear manually so that the bullet nose clears the barrel chamber then the size of the port would not be the problem. And it wouldn't be the extractor either. The question to ask is what is preventing the slide from moving fully to the rear?

I would try polishing the guide rod and break the front and rear sharp edge of the guide rod hole in the slide.
    That would be what I would do first. A harmless modification. I would not touch the extractor if it's extracting perfectly.
    If that drilled guide rod hole in the front of the slide has razor sharp edges it is probably cutting into the guide rod once the slide is moved manually to the rear to a certain point.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Me: [described the problem]
    Kahr: Well...if you want to send it in to us, we'll check it over.

He did say that its best to load the first round from a slide-lock position (mag in and release the lock).

So off to the range. Figures, no hang ups. I have to admit, I didn't try to repeat the problem right off. I put four or five mags through and then gave it a try. Each time the unspent rounds came out like a charm.

When I came home, after a field-strip and clean, I chambered another round from mag in, slide-lock, lock release. Took out the mag and ejected the round by racking the slide back. No FTE. It doesn't seem worth the trip back to Kahr, so unless it acts up again, that's the story for now.

Thanks for all your advice, forum-buddies!

You can investigate whether you have a mechanical interference problem at the ejection port by assembling the pistol without the recoil spring. This will allow you to more easily move the slide back and forth and confirm if there is a clearance problem.

The micro Kahr's have a dual recoil spring, I believe. It is possible that the coils of the two springs are occasionally binding in some fashion that prevents the slide from being able to move all of the way backwards.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    IMHO and only IMHO it is not a big issue , and not an extractor issue either . The ejector is a couple of thousands long ( it dont take much on a formfactor such as the pm ) and if its an " artifact " such as a burr left by a mill or a cast it may well wear off . If not a toutch from a females nail file may be in order . Note i said a soft abrasive , not a file till your tired or god forbid a dremil . Anyway best of luck on it , and a call to Kahr ( with a bit of visiting so they know you are not an average idiot ) may well result in a new , and mic'd out ejector shipped to you to install .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

I had the same problem with my M&P .40c when I first got it. I figured it was either the ejector was too long which didn't allow the shell enough rearward travel to clear the ejection port or the ejection port on the slide was not milled correctly. I ended up sending the gun back to the factory. They replaced the slide and it runs like a champ now.

Most definately don't ignore this problem even though it ejects fired brass. If this is a defensive weapon it absolutely has to eject an unfired round with no problems. There isn't any ammo out there that can't have a failure to fire occasionally.

Shabo
    Molon Labe / Ron Paul prez '08

Quote Originally Posted by dbshabo View Post
    Most definately don't ignore this problem even though it ejects fired brass. If this is a defensive weapon it absolutely has to eject an unfired round with no problems. There isn't any ammo out there that can't have a failure to fire occasionally.

Shabo
    I agree +1 = 100%. The fact that it didn't always happen makes me think it will "break-in" with a few hundred more rounds. Also since it doesn't always happen, it would seem reasonable to me that it is not problem with an inadequate mill, otherwise it would happen every single time.

Thanks for the thoughts. I will post in several weeks after running more ammo through it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links