Most Appropriate Choice

Most Appropriate Choice

This is a discussion on Most Appropriate Choice within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I thought I would stir the pot by posting this thread. Not unlike golf clubs it takes several different "tools" to accomplish your task. My ...

Thread: Most Appropriate Choice

Most Appropriate Choice

I thought I would stir the pot by posting this thread. Not unlike golf clubs it takes several different "tools" to accomplish your task. My primary is a G22 because I get paid to carry it. Not that there is anything wrong with it, but the "club" is entirely too big for off duty carry (IMO). I tend to carry my G36 for not only the caliber, but reflexive familiarity of operation. In the real world we move through "the scenario" with out too much thought and only get the shakes after the heat has subsided. My favorite is a wheel-gun stocked with +P 38, or 357 Mag. The reason behind that is rock solid reliability with acceptable performance. Keep in mind that I have carried for pay the past 24 years and dispatched a few things along the way including 1,000 lb + Black Angus Bull with a Mini 14 that was extremely angry whilst on the clock. The moral of this story is practice and training are essential along with a well rooted education in the basic laws of your state in which you reside, your thoughts?

VIP Member
    I love wheel guns- and I hate that I'm going to say this, but here it goes:

I have a hard time saying that a wheel gun's rock solid reliability is a reason to favor it over a Glock. I have a S&W 66 (4 inch) with about 10,000 rounds through it. It has failed to fire three times due to light strikes on the primer.

All told I have many more rounds through Glock 22s and 23s, and I've never had a problem of any sort. Almost makes me wonder why I changed from Glock to Sig earlier this year.

I do disagree that the Glock 22 is too big for off duty carry. It isn't ideal, but it isn't terrible. Plenty of people conceal duty pistols every day. Of course, with a Glock 36 you're more than covered. Many people would rather have 7 rounds of .45 ACP than 16 of .40 S&W even on duty.

Now, I don't get paid to carry a gun for a living (although that may change in the near future)- and I haven't since I left the military 8 years ago. I shoot for fun and to protect myself and my family only. It isn't a huge difference, but it is a different mission. My 642 that rides with me many days is probably enough gun to handle anything that comes my way. When you go 10-8 5 shots of .38 +p probably isn't going to get the job done in many possible situations.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Administrator

Thumbs up

Heavens...he carries the controversial G36 which the Glock Lovers love to hate.
    I happen to think the G36 is absolutely fantastic for its intended purpose.
    Light, thin, accurate, incredibly compact, big hole in the front, and reliable with a firm grip. A wee bit shy on the capacity but, hey that is what extra mags are for and no problem that a fast mag change won't cure.

The moral of this story is practice and training are essential along with a well rooted education in the basic laws of your state in which you reside, your thoughts?

My thoughts...nobody can argue with that.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by blacksan View Post
    The moral of this story is practice and training are essential along with a well rooted education in the basic laws of your state in which you reside, your thoughts?
    I think this is exactly right. If you carry a handgun for personal defense (civilian, not law enforcement), you should practice with that gun until its use becomes second nature and you have absolute confidence that it will function every time, and that you can hit your intended target.

If the mechanical use of the gun is automatic, you can focus your attention on the really important questions with legal ramifications, such as:

"Is my life in danger at this moment?"
    "Should I draw the gun?"
    "Should I shoot the gun?"

We never want to make life-changing decisions in a couple of seconds with no warning, but sometimes we have no choice.

As for a Glock 22 for carry, I suppose it is a bit on the large size but certainly effective. I have carried the G23 which is slightly smaller, and it is easy to conceal. A G36 like the poster mentioned is smaller still, and very easy to conceal.

Personally I'd take a S&W Model 66 and the 3/10,000 record over a Glock with same but I'm an old geezer. There's another immediate opportunity to fire waiting with a simple stroke of the Model 66's double action trigger. With the Glock... And, dud rounds find their way into Glock chambers too.

Just looking at the scenario from a different perspective.

Familiarity with whatever one chooses is vitally important.

I also carry a Glock 22 on duty. It's a fine service weapon, although not the best grip feel in the world. Truthfully, I wish our department would switch to M&P 40's, but that would cost $$, so that's probably not gonna happen.

I usually carry a Glock 27 off duty, and it rides in a vest holster under my uniform shirt when on duty. The .40 has a great track record of putting the bad guys down, and it's comforting to have a backup pistol that takes the same mags as my service pistol, if it ever decides to go south during a gunfight.
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Metro 40 View Post
    I also carry a Glock 22 on duty. It's a fine service weapon, although not the best grip feel in the world. Truthfully, I wish our department would switch to M&P 40's, but that would cost $$, so that's probably not gonna happen.

I usually carry a Glock 27 off duty, and it rides in a vest holster under my uniform shirt when on duty. The .40 has a great track record of putting the bad guys down, and it's comforting to have a backup pistol that takes the same mags as my service pistol, if it ever decides to go south during a gunfight.
    I fully agree that the G27 is an excellent choice to carry with the ability to use G22 mags. I had the G36 before being issued the G22, or I would have gone your route.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by blacksan View Post
    I fully agree that the G27 is an excellent choice to carry with the ability to use G22 mags. I had the G36 before being issued the G22, or I would have gone your route.
    Its easy to trade Glocks... There is a ton of value in being able to use the same ammo and mags. No new grip to master or anything. Its just like the real thing, only smaller.
    "Just blame Sixto"

The G27 makes the most sense to me as well. Go ahead & trade your G36 for one. That way, it's the same mag for your primary Service Pistol as your BUG...AND it's plenty handy for off-duty carry.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    The G27 makes the most sense to me as well. Go ahead & trade your G36 for one. That way, it's the same mag for your primary Service Pistol as your BUG...AND it's plenty handy for off-duty carry.
    I am going to keep the G36 as I am apparently the only dork on the planet that thinks it is a good piece, but I am also going to add a G27.

VIP Member
    I have a g27 that I use as my ccw. I'd be happy to carry a g36 too, the only reason I haven't is that I haven't bought one yet. I'm happy with either gun.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

I think the G36 is a fine pistol. But among the entire GLOCK product line, it seems to uniquely be the one that generates the most chat about problems. But, to me, that's like being the "least talented" player on the All-Star team.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Should I tell everyone about the G28?

Sponsored Links