Kel-Tec Customer Support

Kel-Tec Customer Support

This is a discussion on Kel-Tec Customer Support within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have often heard good things about Kel-Tec's customer support but recently experienced it personally. My Kel-Tec P-11 (9mm) has been acting up, exhibiting a ...

Thread: Kel-Tec Customer Support

Kel-Tec Customer Support

I have often heard good things about Kel-Tec's customer support but recently experienced it personally.

My Kel-Tec P-11 (9mm) has been acting up, exhibiting a failure-to-eject problem when the magazine gets near empty; usually on the last or next to last round. Sometimes the empty shell case is stovepiped in the ejection port but usually just remains in the chamber. This happens quite regularly with both the 10 round magazine that shipped with the gun and a 12 round mag that I bought later from the factory.

I had installed Kel-Tec's belt clip and used it for awhile, but subsequently took the belt clip off and started using more conventional holsters (Galco pocket holster, CTAC IWB, Desantis paddle). The belt clip installation required the removal of two plastic pins from the frame, one forward and one aft of the trigger. Those pins were replaced with two others that were internally threaded to receive the belt clip mounting screws. When I stopped using the belt clip, the threaded pins remained in the gun, because I had buggered up the factory original pins so badly when I first removed them that I had thrown them away.

I noticed that the internally threaded pins were so loose in the frame's holes that I could pull them out by hand, and thought that that little bit of looseness might be causing the problem. I wrote to Kel-Tec asking to buy a pair of the original pins. They shipped three of them free of charge; I had them within 3 or 4 days after my original email! After swapping out the pins and a quick trip to the range to confirm that the gun still goes bang, I believe the problem has been solved. I'll report back after firing a few more full magazines. You just can't beat Kel-Tec's customer support.

Glad you got what you needed and hope it cures your problem.
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Congratulations on your correct diagnosis!! I too have had a great experience with Kel-Tec customer service!
    Jesus said "and if you dont have a sword (AK), sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

I don't want to burst any bubbles here, but my Kel-Tec 3AT has been in Coco, Florida since August 9 and whenever I call to get an update they always have some reason why it's taking so long to get my gun functioning properly.

But, then again, I'm the fool in this equation. I owned two of the first generation .380s and had to send both of them back also. It just took less time for them to come back and STILL not cycle defense ammo with any degree of certainty. I thought by purchasing a second generation weapon that I would avoid all of that once and for all ... and have an excellent, lightweight handgun that can truly be carried without any special preparation or clothing issues.

If they get it fixed right this time, I promise I'll never send it back again ... just keep dropping down to the lowest common denominator FMJ ammunition until even THAT doesn't work reliably.

P.S. - I returned my Kahr PM9 to the Massachusetts factory on September 21 and got it back two days later with a new barrel, new recoil spring and some machine work to the frame. Go figger. Can't wait to see how both of them shoot when I get another chance at the range. If either one so much as hiccups, they're outta here and I'll just resolve to purchase and carry a G26 or G27 Glock. Glocks always go bang when you pull the trigger, in my experience.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy - Tom Waits

EW3
    Quote Originally Posted by 9mm10mmamen View Post
    I don't want to burst any bubbles here, but my Kel-Tec 3AT has been in Coco, Florida since August 9 and whenever I call to get an update they always have some reason why it's taking so long to get my gun functioning properly.

But, then again, I'm the fool in this equation. I owned two of the first generation .380s and had to send both of them back also. It just took less time for them to come back and STILL not cycle defense ammo with any degree of certainty. I thought by purchasing a second generation weapon that I would avoid all of that once and for all ... and have an excellent, lightweight handgun that can truly be carried without any special preparation or clothing issues.

If they get it fixed right this time, I promise I'll never send it back again ... just keep dropping down to the lowest common denominator FMJ ammunition until even THAT doesn't work reliably.

P.S. - I returned my Kahr PM9 to the Massachusetts factory on September 21 and got it back two days later with a new barrel, new recoil spring and some machine work to the frame. Go figger. Can't wait to see how both of them shoot when I get another chance at the range. If either one so much as hiccups, they're outta here and I'll just resolve to purchase and carry a G26 or G27 Glock. Glocks always go bang when you pull the trigger, in my experience.
    When you get the P3AT back, try this ammo out:

http://www.dakotaammo.net/products/glaser/powrball.htm

I was told to use it with a small pocket gun I used to own (also a .380) which had some reported issues with hollowpoint ammo. These are supposed to feed like a FMJ, but with the performance of a hollowpoint.
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" – George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

I am happy with Keltec customer service. Every time I clean my P3AT. the ejector would always pop out. Then one day I lost it. I called them and sure enough it was in the mail box a few days later @ no charge. They told me I can silicone glue it in.
    To close for missiles, switching to guns.

Quote Originally Posted by phoneguy View Post
    I am happy with Keltec customer service. Every time I clean my P3AT. the ejector would always pop out. Then one day I lost it. I called them and sure enough it was in the mail box a few days later @ no charge. They told me I can silicone glue it in.
    And you bet your life on this thing?

Wow.

Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

I have never had any issues with mine. They are not comfortable to shoot, but Im able to leave my expensive Colts in the safe and they go bang every time!

Jesus said "and if you dont have a sword (AK), sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Quote Originally Posted by Metro 40 View Post
    And you bet your life on this thing?

Wow.

The ejector is supposed to be loose; it sits in a space in the rails, and when cleaning it can fall out. There's nothing wrong with it falling out...the silicone glue suggestion was just to prevent him from losing it again when cleaning.

I also had a great experience with one of my Kel-Tecs (PF-9), very friendly and helpful service. My other two Kel-Tec pistols (PLR-16 and P3-AT) have not needed it and function just fine.
    "For evil to flourish all that is required is for good men to spout clichés." - Hugh Laurie

Kel-Tec customer service is the best. I have called them for parts several times and it was in the mail, no questions asked. Never send a gun to them, just got parts from them. Did I say free parts.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Sponsored Links