Beretta Tomcat in .32 ACP... opinions?

This is a discussion on Beretta Tomcat in .32 ACP... opinions? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I usually carry a Glock 27 in a Smart Carry, but I'd like to have something smaller for the occasions that I tuck in my ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Beretta Tomcat in .32 ACP... opinions?

I usually carry a Glock 27 in a Smart Carry, but I'd like to have something smaller for the occasions that I tuck in my shirt while working. IWB isn't a good option for these times (active work with lots of movement and would very likely print and scare my clients), so I'm thinking something like the Beretta Tomcat in a small camera case on my belt.

I had a small Beretta pocket pistol in .25 ACP and another in .22LR. I liked the .22LR more because it was cheaper to shoot and I didn't see much difference in the two rounds.

So, what are your opinions about the 32 ACP in the Beretta, or something else that you've had experience with in a pocket pistol sized frame?

Last edited by takurpic; September 24th, 2007 at 01:41 AM. Reason: added pic

Senior Moderator
    Personally I think the .32 is too small for defensive purposes.

With that being said...its definatly better that throwing rocks and the Berreta is a fine gun for a small one.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I went with a NAA .32 ACP. Was easier for me to purchace locally and the price was right.

There is much criticism on the caliber, weight etc. Something is better than nothing. I can't always carry my .45 or even the .38 in some situations. The mouse gun disappears.

Good luck, I'm sure others will help.

Administrator

The Crimson Trace laser grips for the Tomcat increase its lethality potential and still keep it a very small self-defensive package.
    Of course they add quite a bit to the price too but, worth it in my opinion for a borderline caliber.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Senior Moderator
    Of course they add quite a bit to the price too but, worth it in my opinion for a borderline caliber.
    Hey...the laser in an eyeball could definalty help...
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

I am also looking to purchase a 3032 Tomcat to be used as a pocket gun. After a lot of research and reading, most owners advise getting the Tomcat with the stainless slide & barrel. They contend that the round count longevity will increase drastically and that the heavier slide will help eliminate any stove-piping issues. I really like that this is a DA/SA pocket pistol (very rare for this size gun), manual safety, and tip up barrel for direct loading and unloading of the chamber.

Hotguns, I had debated the .32acp back and forth in my mind so much I finally decided, it is better than throwing rocks. I have also noticed some ammo manufacturing companies starting to do a little exotic work with the .32 as was done with the 9mm.

For it size and quality construction, I'm going to give it try.
    Welcome to Tennessee, the patron state of shootin' stuff.--SHOOTER

Senior Moderator
    Hotguns, I had debated the .32acp back and forth in my mind so much I finally decided, it is better than throwing rocks. I have also noticed some ammo manufacturing companies starting to do a little exotic work with the .32 as was done with the 9mm.

For it size and quality construction, I'm going to give it try.
    Yeah the ammo quality has definatley improved a bunch in the last few years.

FWIW...
    you wont find me standing in front of one...

ANY gun is better than no gun...and if you are going to carry a little one, the Beretta is as good as they come...
    pgrass101 likes this.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

FWIW there is little difference between the 380 acp and the 32acp out of a pocket pistol. So many of these that say the 32acp is to small but the 380 is ok , don't take the size of the barrell into consideration and many are just repeating what they hear. I surely wouldn't want to be hit with any gun!! Now for my recommendation, I vote for the NAA Guardian. I have one in 32 and one in 380 and one or the other is always in my pocket. I suggest you put the Guardian on your list of possible guns.
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

I prefer the Kel-Tec P32. Why? The Kel-Tec P32 doesn't bite the hand that feeds it. Regards, Richard

+1 richardoldfield said.

Love my K-T P32. When I get the $, I'm going to get a matching P3AT. I was always skeptical of the K-T, but the new ones (2nd gen) are reliable from what I've heard and experienced with mine so far. The P32 is actually fun to shoot.

I was looking at the Beretta for my wife because of the tilt-up barrel, but I think there are other options for her that I'll look at first.
    CARRY GUNS:
    S&W 638, Ruger LCP, Kimber Ultra CDP

Member Array chiefs-special-guy's Avatar
    I like my Tomcat, and have never had any problems at all with its function. Recoil is mild, and the gun is accurate given its tiny sights, which frankly I can barely even see. Function with both ball and jhp ammo is 100% in my gun- I have never had any failure of any kind. The tip up barrel is interesting, and is a real plus for ladies who may not like racking a slide. The trigger is good, at least after the first shot. The caliber may be weak, but the cartridges are really really cute.
    God Bless
    Six for sure...Uh, I mean Five. Five for sure..

I had a Tomcat; two actually. The first one came apart in my hand and I sent it back to Beretta for an autopsie. They replaced it with a new one that worked perfectly. It handled the Corbon PD ammo nicely and it was very accurate. The best features in my opinion were the tip up barrel and the larger size grip. These make it safer to unload and potentially easier to shoot.

I've since sold my 3032 in favor of buying a Kahr PM9. I really like my PM9 but the Tomcat was easier to carry during the hot Summer months here in Texas. If I had it to do over again I would have kept the Tomcat and still bought the PM9.

Lot of folks responding to your post will question the adequacy of the .32 ACP. I had the same concern so when I bought my wife a carry gun I bought her (with her help) a S&W 431 PD in .32 H&R Magnum. She really likes this little 6 shot J-frame.
    sensei2 likes this.

I have a Tomcat that my old lady uses quite a bit. It's nice because you can carry it cocked and locked. It's a nice little gun and mine has been totally reliable.

On the flip side, it's a total pocket brick. The thing is heavy as crap for a pistol in it's size.

If it were me, I'd get a Keltec P32 and pocket carry it. YMMV.
    Texron likes this.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    I have a Tomcat stainless and carry it primarily as a backup. I've had no issues with mine, but oddly, my son has had many FTF hangups with his.
    I have a pocket holster that is worn in the back pocket and looks like a wallet, when looking in a mirror. You can carry it all day and forget you have it with you. I'm not 100% confident in its stopping power, but when clothing dictates what I carry, I can always hide the Tomcat in my back pocket.

I own a 3032 Tomcat and it has been 100% reliable.It is also very accurate for such a small gun when shot single action.I don't carry it much because it is kinda heavy for its size.I also have a NAA 380 and Kel-Tec P3AT and find myself carrying the Kel-Tec the most if I am not carrying my S&W637. Hope this helps.
    Para82

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links