Kimber Ultra Carry II or Ultra CDP II...Help me decide!

This is a discussion on Kimber Ultra Carry II or Ultra CDP II...Help me decide! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Would love to get you guys opinions. I have been considering for some time now giving a 3" 1911 another shot. Had a bumb Colt ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kimber Ultra Carry II or Ultra CDP II...Help me decide!

Would love to get you guys opinions. I have been considering for some time now giving a 3" 1911 another shot. Had a bumb Colt Defender in the past that I wound up getting rid of. I currently own a Colt LW Commander and thinking about giving the Kimber a try. Local gunshop has the following in stock, which would you choose?

A) Ultra Carry II Stainless w/ plain black sights - $700

B) Ultra CDP II - $1100

Thanks!

My opinion is somewhat biased, I was going between the stainless compact and the CDP compact when I bought mine. I chose the CDP for the following reasons.
    1) Lighter (easier to carry)
    2) Melt job (less chance of clothes snag)
    3) Night sights (all the better to see you with)
    4) IMO it's one of the best looking production guns out there.

One note if you do get the CDP, get a couple of Wilson mags and toss the factory one. The metal followers do a number on the aluminum frame.

Yeah, I will have to replace those sights on the Ultra Carry with nightsights. That will add some more cost. The Ultra CDP almost seems too "pretty" to me for carry.

CDP II Ultra. No question. But look for a used one. I found an almost new one with a $850 tag on it and walked away with it for eight even (plus tax). They're out there. People trade for the weirdest reasons! Probably was too much gun for its prior owner. Never have had a problem with it. Good luck.

I also have a Custom II (5" steel) to which I added night sights. Another sweet gun. I don't seem to notice the extra 2". It is heavier, but I don't seem to notice that much either. I have done Level II training with the Ultra, over 1800 rounds thru and guess that's why I am partial to it.
    "Our Constitution was made only for a religious and moral people. It is wholly inadequate for the government of any other." --- John Adams
    (1735-1826) Founding Father, 2nd US President
    Source: Oct. 11, 1798; Address to the military

CDP compact has a bull barrell. and is 4" but has the same grip length as the Ultra!
    SigP226, SigP232SS, GLock 27, Glock 23, M&P9C, M&P 40C, Tika T3 .308, New England Rifle .17 HMR. DPMS AR-10 .308, Mossberg 500, Bersa .380, Olympic Arms AR15 Pistol, Kimber CDP2 Ultra, Kimber CDP2 compact, S&W 432pd,CX4 storm .40

That's an easy one - Springfield EMP.
    Freedom of speech does not excuse one from freedom of thought.

RB
    same as Xercise2nd, I got one used for about $800 or so.
    It was the only way I could afford one, so I told myself.
    A great shooter and great carry gun, it is now compeating
    with my Springer Loaded full sized and Hi Power.

I wonder who will win......

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo2 View Post
    My opinion is somewhat biased, I was going between the stainless compact and the CDP compact when I bought mine. I chose the CDP for the following reasons.

1) Lighter (easier to carry)

How so, they are both aluminum framed but just the slide is stainless on the Stainless UC-II!

2) Melt job (less chance of clothes snag)

Not a concern and the cost difference is way to much just for a melt job. Although nice, it is not needed. As well the black on the frame is easy to chip and look's bad the longer you own it, carry itand shoot it.

3) Night sights (all the better to see you with)

Night sights are also an over blow subject. Although nice to have they are not nessary in ANY low light training I have ever taken and in fact the very first time I took a low light class I found out just how much I really didn't need them.

4) IMO it's one of the best looking production guns out there.

I will give you this one, I like them too and in fact own an Ultra CDP. But that fact remains that look's won't get you home if you ever really need it.

One note if you do get the CDP, get a couple of Wilson mags and toss the factory one. The metal followers do a number on the aluminum frame.

I will agree here too, the kimber mag's are junk.

Please don't take my post as attacking your opinions. I just have trained so much and used so many differnt types of handgun's that the fluff that I was buying in the beginning and over paying for doesn't amount to squat when it comes to the real deal.

Even though I have an Ultra CDP I would have gotten the UC Stainless if I knew then what I know now and saved the money. The "custom shop" deal is just fluff and look pretty goddies nothing else.

I vote for the Ultra Carry stainless between the two and pick out the night sites of your choice. Don't get me wrong I like night sites but for other reasons than just using them to shoot at night.

But if this were me buying a new Kimber it would be the Compact Stainless model. Or if I really wanted an aluminum frame the compact CDP and I would just swallow the cost difference. The extra inch is not an issue for carry and it offers so many more benifits over the Ultra.

Ti
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Thumbs down

No kimber for me. not ever.
    "Happiness, is a warm gun" -St. John of Liverpool

Proud to be an infidel.

Quote Originally Posted by Ping Ping View Post
    No kimber for me. not ever.
    Why??

I stand corrected on the weight, I bought the compact in that size the stainless is listed at 6 oz heavier. In the Ultra they are the same weight.

My Ultra CDPII is absolutely my favorite gun! Function and beauty in one!!!

I have a Kimber Ultra Carry II. I love it to death. I have never had an extraction problem or stove piping with any ammunition I used in it. I changed the sights though. I have fully adjustable tridium sights. My rear site I can adjust both up and down and back and forth. I bought the gun around 2003. I have the internal extractor. I'd post pictures but I don't know how. haha The reason I went with the Ultra Carry II was a few reasons. Number 1 I don't care about the sights on a gun cause I usually change them to what I want anyhow. Number 2 I had read some horror stores about the cdp not ejecting properly. If your like me you like to shoot POA with your rounds and not compensate, something thats hard to do with sights that only adjust back and forth. I would advise purchasing wilson combat clips for it, Kimber clips just plain down stink. Bare in mind though that with the sights and the clips I have around $1000 in my Kimber.

Quote Originally Posted by slimjim View Post
    Why??
    The over abundance of MIM parts. The fact that there are better guns at that price point. And, there are certain people in the industry, to whom, I simply refuse to give my money.

That said, there are thousands out there who love'm. I'm just one guy.
    "Happiness, is a warm gun" -St. John of Liverpool

Proud to be an infidel.

i love my kimber ultra and would buy another one in a heartbeat. i have yet to have a prob with mine.

i would day see which fells right in your hand. you will knw which gun you want as soon as you touch it.
    “Do you have any idea how hard it would be to live with yourself if your loved ones were attacked and killed, and you had to stand there helplessly because you were unprepared for that day?”

Ricardo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links