What is the best combat handgun in use today?

This is a discussion on What is the best combat handgun in use today? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Somebody pass the popcorn..........

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the best combat handgun in use today?

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Somebody pass the popcorn.......
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

2. Remove Ads

F4i
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    Somebody pass the popcorn.......

If I was stuck with ball ammo for my "ultimate" combat pistol, I would choose one in .45cal - probably a G21 as it lightweight, high-cap, and most importantly, extremely reliable. If I could use HP ammo and have access to any ammo I wanted, I would consider something in .357sig or 10mm. I like the 9mm is fine for civilian CC - but in war I would want the best man stopper (assuming ammo was readily available.)

As a combat weapon, the pistol should be a weapon of last resort - only be be used when things have gone bad and you have lost your rifle and are in close and person. In this situation I would something highly reliable with the best stopping power. High-cap, while nice would not be a prime concern, and, neither would controlability, as we taking about very close range encounters. In fact, if I found myself in Iraq (given the choice) I'd rather carry a .357 revolver than an M9. I think there is very strong evidence that the 9mm in FMJ is a very poor man stopper. With fast HPs it's a totally differenent story.

The United States Army Model of 1911, or one of it's cousins.
    "Happiness, is a warm gun" -St. John of Liverpool

Proud to be an infidel.

I am kind of with Sixto on this. I go with the full sized Sigs. If circumstances allow hollow points I go with the P226. If I have to use ball ammo I might switch to my P220.

I have to go with a 1911, you choose the Manuf. That is the brilliance with going with the 1911, there are several good makers who you could order from. They all function alike and in almost all cases the parts are interchangeable. Sure Glock could make you a bunch of pistols, but if I need to supply an army, I will have Colt, S&W, Kimber, SA and a couple of others all making guns for me.

Besides I want my army to be shooting 45acp.
    Lex et Libertas — Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

Administrator
    I hate to say it but, in addition to the unKosher limp-wristed Handgun Hold good ol' Jack Bauer looks slightly wimpy in that photo.
    Must have been all that time spent in that Chinese Prison that took a steep toll on him and his muscle tone.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

While Sig and HK are very, very, very nice... I'd have to bow to the Beretta 92FS and its variants for a few reasons.

1- It's not the gun, or soldier's, fault that they must use crappy ball ammo.
    2- tested, tested, tested, and then tested. Overwhelmingly positive.
    3- Large, easy to handle, extremely easy to disassemble (much more so than glocks and co.)

I think it might eventually get dethroned, but it'd take millions issued by another arms maker just to have a chance to put a dent in the legend.

I've owned a few different guns and shoot a number of other gun, but I do love my entire current collection.
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

Distinguished Member
    XD's are on their way to take over the throne!!!

Quote Originally Posted by senseiturtle View Post
    While Sig and HK are very, very, very nice... I'd have to bow to the Beretta 92FS and its variants for a few reasons.

3- Large, easy to handle, extremely easy to disassemble (much more so than glocks and co.)

I think it might eventually get dethroned, but it'd take millions issued by another arms maker just to have a chance to put a dent in the legend.
    While berettas are easy to break down, glocks are so easy too - do you really think there is a big difference? I owned a 92fs for years, for the most part it was reliable, but a jam or two per session was not uncommon. I've put a couple thousands rounds through my G30 and it has never malfunctioned in any way. I don't think my experince is atypical.

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    Sig P226, 9mm is IMO the best "service" pistol out there.

The M9 is adequate and I never felt short changed carrying one... but given the chance to bring my P226 to the dance I would have done it in a heartbeat.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

OK- My two cents. When I was on the 25th Med, Bn. 25th ID 'combat' pistol team at Scohfield Barrcks in the spring of 79', I was issued a 1911a1 made by Ithaca sometime during WW2. A couple thousand rounds(230 gr. ball) later- no malfuntions. Fast forward to the spring of 2004, Mina' Al Bakr Oil Terminal off the coast of sunny Iraq. We had 5 M-9's. Two had parts breakage and we hardly used them. Yes, they were used but we sent them to Depot level maintanance prior to embarking on our 'adventure'.
    This is not my opinion, It's written History.
    If all I had available was a sling shot, I'd practice alot.

Administrator
    Its pretty well known by people in the know that the lowest bidder can build a decent pistol, but certainly not the best.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by senseiturtle View Post

I'm not against the 92fs - I got very familiar with one while a Marine, but I don't think it's any easier to take down than my G19. My glock is casually field-stripped in under 30 seconds. That's plenty fast for most occasions. In addition, I've experienced FTFs and other calamities with the 92fs. I've never had so much as a hiccup with my G19. Just sayin' that my glock is one seriously dependable pistol that can hide well and put 16 rounds down range before I have to reload. Not too shabby.

As far as a "combat" pistol goes, I guess I could roll with a G17 given it's capacity and dependability, but 9MM ball ammo gives me the shudders - always did. If ball ammo is the order of the day, give me a .45. If I can bring my own (a no-no in the traditional combat theater) then I'll take a G17.

cw

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Links