What is the best combat handgun in use today?

This is a discussion on What is the best combat handgun in use today? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I would have to go with the G22 or G23. If concealabilty was an issue, I would go with the G23. Good capacity, good round....

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the best combat handgun in use today?

I would have to go with the G22 or G23. If concealabilty was an issue, I would go with the G23. Good capacity, good round.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

2. Remove Ads

Glock 9mm, hands down-no contest. Next question...
    Latte Junkie

I'm telling you guys, a striker fired pistol is never going to make it in the US military.

And capacity is a major issue when it comes to a side arm. If you got 300 Hiji coming over the wire and you are forced to resort to your sidearm, 15 shots in a clip are very nice to have. You also don't want to put 3 9mm holes into Hiji before he slows down. Remember the military if forced by law to use ball ammo, so a 9mm just isn't cutting it. The balance round is in .40.

So, a reliable, well tested, hammer fired, light weight, easy to care for weapon for inexperienced shooters, and keeping the military sense of need for a DA/SA trigger and a manual safety.

I still think that I was the guy that got to pick the sidearm of our military, it would be a H&K USP.
    Support Maryland Shall Issue
    http://www.marylandshallissue.org/

Maryland Shooters,
    Visit http://www.mdshooters.com/

Red face Alien vs Predator...

To ME...HK P2000SK .40
    Why is it that you always find things at the last place you looked?
    Because when you find something-you stop looking-Mooch

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    The op wrote
    A poster on another board wrote:

"It's a Glock 22... the finest combat handgun currently on the face of the earth.... I wouldn't expect anything less..."

What is the best combat handgun in use today? By this, I mean what is the most accurate, reliable, and economical handgun to arm a large body of people with?

My answer is a Glock 17 and my reasons are it is totally reliable, the ammo is in use all around the world, and Glock gives large discounts on volume sales. Lastly, I throw out the 40 S&W because the ammo is expensive and snappy to fire.

My favorite handgun is a 1911 in 45acp; why didn't I respond with a 1911 pistol? I have never had a malfi with a G17 and the G17's manual of arms is simpler.

Regards,

Richard
    IMHO that makes a glock the cheap option that is non confusing to train folks on . It does not make it the " best " or the " worst " pistol for anything . As far as a police pistol goes i have written policy on a couple of dept's as to what could be carried both on and off duty . In no case did i mandate glock pistols , tho they were what you got( in the later years of my dutys for the .gov ) if you chose not to buy and qualify with your own pistol . Glocks are not bad in any sense , but imho are rarely the best. Glock sold because of marketing , they used to market thier pistols as a " no transision " pistol from double action revolvers , Its bs but they were the first with the bs and it pays to be out front .
    Ultimate for me would be a 1911 format in either 10mm or .45acp. If i were arming an army it would be a 9mm , most likely a sig with double stack mags for " large hands " and single stack as an option for smaller folk . Note that no where in there did i recommend what i carry day to day . OP asked for combat pistols , and many things color that choice which have little to do with personal protection firearms . Trainging a large group of folks to use a pistol is a real consideraton , and i only rule out the 1911 ( which is the easy pistol to train on ) because it is not and can not be apparent if a pistol is " safed " with a sig , if the hammer is down it is safe , With other actions you have the same issue , no visual referance of how ready the gun is to fireing . ccw is not combat . nor do i carry for ccw what i consider " the gun " for combat . However as i did as an officer I would not carry a gun that the " troops " could not as an officer . IMHO no matter how you count it , if its good enough for " them " its good enough for me , and there is no " better gun " .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Glock makes the best combat pistol in the world. HK and Sig are right there but the Glock was the best thing to come along since the 1911.

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    We should consult with the guy who has logged more combat with a handgun recently than almost anybody - Jack Bauer on "24".

He appears to recommend the H&K USP:

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

There are several other pistols that have been tested as much as the M9, just not in America and with other military forces.

I would say Glock, Sig, CZ, HK and not nessesarily in that order.

COMBAT weapon is different from CCW.

I'd have to go with the H&K USP 45 (fullsize) or possibly (maybe even probably) their newer H&K45.
    Last edited by ExSoldier; September 29th, 2007 at 07:33 PM. Reason: Format
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

I'm satisfied in my mind that it's the 1911. The Hi-Power gets an honorable mention.

Wouldn't walk across the street for any alloy frame or plastic, DAO pistol.

And who is this Jack Bauer?

Quote Originally Posted by Deacon51 View Post
    I'm telling you guys, a striker fired pistol is never going to make it in the US military.

And capacity is a major issue when it comes to a side arm. If you got 300 Hiji coming over the wire and you are forced to resort to your sidearm, 15 shots in a clip are very nice to have. You also don't want to put 3 9mm holes into Hiji before he slows down. Remember the military if forced by law to use ball ammo, so a 9mm just isn't cutting it. The balance round is in .40.

So, a reliable, well tested, hammer fired, light weight, easy to care for weapon for inexperienced shooters, and keeping the military sense of need for a DA/SA trigger and a manual safety.

I still think that I was the guy that got to pick the sidearm of our military, it would be a H&K USP.
    The now defunct Joint Combat Pistol program, which was initiated to replace the M9, actually solicited DA/SA pistols and striker fired pistols. I wouldn't be surprised to see a striker fired pistol become the new service handgun in the future, if all of the services could actually agree on one caliber, let alone one pistol.

The .40 S&W or .45 ACP was solicited by the Air Force in 2006. Click here and read the word document "Request for Information - AF Handgun."

http://www.fbo.gov/spg/USAF/AFMC/WRA...tachments.html

After reading all of the requirements, it looks an awful lot like a S&W M&P in .40 or .45 would fill the bill nicely. S&W has .45 ACP models with a 1911-style thumb safety.

If it was MY army, I'd issue the S&W M&P .40, and lobby hard for the round to be renamed 10mm NATO for military nomenclature. It would be great to see an American pistol and an American caliber in the holsters of our troops again!

Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

Tried and True 1911A1, but I would carry a Sig or Glock (G23 is normal CCDW) with no hesitation.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Well, from among a list of "approved" .40 S&W DA autoloaders, in 2004 I chose the SIG P229R DAK as my police duty pistol, to replace the Glunck G22, my previous duty pistol. I shoot the SIG better, and I mean MUCH better. So, with the SIG in the duty holster, and a shotgun riding in front of the passenger seat of my patrol car, and a Ruger SP101 concealed on my person, what do I reach for during a felony vehicle stop, with armed bad guys? Of course, I reach for the center console for the best combat handgun in the world, a Ruger GP100 .357 sixgun! (Buckshot is NOT very effective against targets located within vehicles!) OK, now, I ask, best for what? I would not want to fight a major battle armed with a mere handgun, but a 1911 is a pretty darn good battle pistol. My SIG P229 is compact, and that makes it a good companion piece to back-up a shotgun or rifle. A GP100 has attributes that make it a good knock-em-down-and-stomp-em weapon, yet it also is better for long-range shots than most autoloaders. Yet, with all the stuff I have to carry on my police duty belt these days, I remember back to the purple sore on my right hip when I used to carry a GP100 as a duty pistol. (Yes, pistol; revolving pistol.) I know what is best for me, in my present environment, but respect what others choose for their environments.

Senior Member Array firefighter4884's Avatar
    I think I'm with ExSoldier on this one... I have good feelings about the HK USP 45 series... as well as the new HK 45...

In all fairness though, an XD45 would prolly go a long way towards meeting all of the goals that we just talked about!

--Jim
    Firefighter / EMT - Always Ready. Ever Willing.

~Never do anything that you don't want to have to explain to the paramedics...~

Member Array airbornerangerboogie's Avatar
    The best "combat" hand gun is actually a rifle, the best selfdefense handgun is the one you have in your hand when it's needed.
    “Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.” James Dean
    Phil (NRA Member and Vietnam Vet)
    ------------- My CCW ----------------
    No Guns Here Boss
    I gave them to the naked Pigmy's in New Guinea

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Links