What is the best combat handgun in use today? - Page 8

What is the best combat handgun in use today?

This is a discussion on What is the best combat handgun in use today? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ill take a medium between what everyone is saying......1911 in 9mm.....best of all worlds!!!!!! =o) just need to get me on now....lmao...

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: What is the best combat handgun in use today?

ill take a medium between what everyone is saying......1911 in 9mm.....best of all worlds!!!!!! =o) just need to get me on now....lmao

Senior Moderator
    Well, according to the ICE tests, Sig and H&K are the best.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Lightbulb +1!

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    Well, according to the ICE tests, Sig and H&K are the best.
    Well based on my experience and from speaking to my friends in the SpecOps community AND in law enforcement, I can only agree! Look at the new H&K 45. Co-designed by Larry Vickers, the first unit armorer for the CAG, the Combat Applications Group aka "Delta Force." I'm selling my beloved USP so I can attend a Blackwater training course in the summer, but I'd never seriously consider the sale unless I had something better with which to replace it, down the road. The USP is a tad too large for my hands, but the new 45 addresses that issue nicely.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Wink Actually...

Quote Originally Posted by palmgopher View Post
    ill take a medium between what everyone is saying......1911 in 9mm.....best of all worlds!!!!!! =o) just need to get me on now....lmao
    A 1911 9mm is a simple contradiction in terms. Jeff Cooper must be rolling in his grave. What you're describing has already been done in a platform designed for the smaller round. It's called the Browning Hi-Power. It even has a higher capacity by original design.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

actually i have seen a pic of the new h&k and i want to see =O) might just get me all excited you know =O)

Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    We should consult with the guy who has logged more combat with a handgun recently than almost anybody - Jack Bauer on "24".

He appears to recommend the H&K USP:

Gosh that is an absolutely atrocious grip that he's got (low grip, terrible support with the weak hand) !!! Don't they have a proper arms consultant on that show?!

I have various pistols...IMHO...a 1911 would be on top!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Well, I have toted dozens of different guns over the years in .45, 9mm, .40:

Sigs, Glocks, Walther p99, Hi Powers, EAAs, Colts, Springfields (1911s and XDs), Kimbers, S&Ws, Rugers, Tauruses, CZs, and HKs.

The HK USP 9mm for me is the best handgun on earth. For a lower priced gun, I'll take a CZ over a Glock any day.

I found the 1911 to be the worst one of the bunch. I know I'll get flamed, but I never owned a 1911 of any type that didn't either have to be tinkered with to work, or came out of the box with faulty magazines. I don't like the weapon I trust my life with to need tinkering, and I will never own a 1911 again.

VIP Member
    Sig 226, hands down. The only thing in its league would be the H&K USP 45- and it is easier to teach people to shoot the 9mm than .40 S&W.

I know people here all have their own opinions- but I must admit that I have to look at people funny when they think anything other than those two pistols are the best "duty" sized guns out there.

As for the picture of Jack with the H&K, it wasn't his first choice.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Nigma
    For a lower priced gun, I'll take a CZ over a Glock any day.

I found the 1911 to be the worst one of the bunch. I know I'll get flamed, but I never owned a 1911 of any type that didn't either have to be tinkered with to work, or came out of the box with faulty magazines. I don't like the weapon I trust my life with to need tinkering, and I will never own a 1911 again.
    I agree, 1911's are last on the list. SIG's are #1, followed by CZ & Glock in a tie for #2, HK's come in 3rd.

Sponsor
    And that can on the end won't do squat for sound suppression either

The HK's don't last much over a year on the gun rental ranges [ about 50K a year ]before they need repair. Only three makers guns that make it without breaking something, needing work or are dead in the water are CZ's, Rugers and Glocks [ in no particular order ].

Sigs can run about 60K then they'll be replaced as well on the rental ranges. I suppose the military or LE don't worry about such things, they've got our tax dollars to buy more.

Brownie
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Coming from a diehard 1911 fan I have to say the best COMBAT handgun would be the Glock in 17 or 19 flavor. Light, durable, runs dirty and is very forgiving. Simple in design thus easy to maintain and repair.

I can't believe I said that. (grin)

Glock 20 - 10mm

16 rounds of magnum power in a standard sized pistol.

My gun runs 180 gr Gold Dots @ 1360 fps, I can control it and get quit follow up shots, and I can conceal it.

Mike G.

Glock 17 - There's a reason why this was there first!

Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    And that can on the end won't do squat for sound suppression either

The HK's don't last much over a year on the gun rental ranges [ about 50K a year ]before they need repair. Only three makers guns that make it without breaking something, needing work or are dead in the water are CZ's, Rugers and Glocks [ in no particular order ].
    I've asked other range guys about this, and I have to respectfully dispute this claim. The general consensus is just about every handgun that's rented at a range will likely have failures at 50,000 rounds. In fact, most range owners I've talked to say it would be great to get 50K rounds on a rental gun out of any brand, including Glocks. Range guns are usually run through tremendous abuse with very little care. I rented a 40 cal Sig a couple of years ago because I had Glocks at the time and the range guy kept bragging about how great Sigs were. Well the Sig started jamming on the first mag. I had to break it down on the range, then clean the extractor with Breakfree. At that point the Sig ran fine.

And most range guys I asked said CZs will break down as rental guns much faster than Sigs, HKs, or Glocks will. One range guy said the HKs did sometimes suffer breakages, but the mileage on them was much higher than 50K when they broke.

Ammo comes into play also. One range I go to sells Sellier and Belliot or American ammo, which works fine. A range I stay away from sells overpriced reloads. Reloads in general can be rougher on guns and cause them to malfunction sooner.

The point being, HK's will outlast most brands as rental guns on a range. So will Sigs and Glocks. I'd say CZs are close to lasting that amount also. Another point was brought up: How would you know when a rental gun reaches 50K rounds? Individuals don't count the number of shots they take and report them. I wouldn't think a rental gun is connected to ammunition counts either.

My point is this: Any handgun that reaches 50K rounds as a rental on a range without suffering a breakdown is a darned good handgun.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Links