What is the best combat handgun in use today?

This is a discussion on What is the best combat handgun in use today? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Edward Nigma, The two rental ranges in this area [ I talk to them often enough, one range buys guns from us ], tell a ...

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: What is the best combat handgun in use today?

Sponsor
    Edward Nigma,

The two rental ranges in this area [ I talk to them often enough, one range buys guns from us ], tell a differet story, the one I related about the CZ, Rugers and Glocks. It may also depend on the practice of keeping the guns maintained, who knows.

How would you know when a rental gun reaches 50K rounds? Individuals don't count the number of shots they take and report them. I wouldn't think a rental gun is connected to ammunition counts either.

Thats exactly how the two ranges know rds count, they rent the guns and sell the ammo, the list is kept very well on what has gone through each gun on the guns rental records. You ren the guns there, you buy their ammo there, records are easy enough to maintain this way.

The general consensus is just about every handgun that's rented at a range will likely have failures at 50,000 rounds.

Agreed, some [ or all ] will need maintainance [ maybe springs and small things like that ], others like the HK and Sigs have reached their service life for the most part.

I expect my glock 9mm's will last 500,000 rds. In fact there are documented cases of these guns going the distance that far and some beyond it. One of my G17's has over 80K through it right now, with a trigger return spring failure at 72+K and NO other issues since 88.

Brownie
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

2. Remove Ads

I've never owned an automatic that did not malfunction when I needed it the most. (I still have nightmares while in the mahavi desert wherein I finished a field deployment with a live fire exercise...my auto failed due to sand/grit, whaterver causing multiple jams). Never again. I've never owned a revolver that malfunctioned. Thus, a revolver is my carry weapon. Survival changes ideology.

Wink Something STRANGE...

Quote Originally Posted by dawgfvr View Post
    I've never owned an automatic that did not malfunction when I needed it the most. (I still have nightmares while in the mahavi desert wherein I finished a field deployment with a live fire exercise...my auto failed due to sand/grit, whaterver causing multiple jams). Never again. I've never owned a revolver that malfunctioned. Thus, a revolver is my carry weapon. Survival changes ideology.
    Except for my S&W M642 (and then with restrictions) I can no longer accurately shoot any revolver. Don't know what it is, but I can't seem to hit the ground if I jumped out a window on the 1st floor. My best buddy, a retired SF LTC made the same observations on his shooting just a few years before he retired. My single exception on the M642 is when I point shoot from the hip at near contact range. Then I can empty 5 rds in less than a second and blow the COM from a target in a tight group. Great mugger medicine. Thats what I train for when I carry it in my right front pocket. SO I'm selling my other revolver. Ruger SP101 DAO 3" BBL. for $300.

Otherwise I gotta carry an auto. I have a few that have never failed me.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Well, my only other handgun is a CZ, so both of mine should hopefully last me a few years. I bought my HK used, no idea how many rounds have gone through it. It doesn't look too worn.

Senior Moderator
    In the ICE tests a few years back, Sig and H&K came out on top. This was the most demanding battery of tests I have ever heard of. Something like a million rounds were fired per manufacturer. The Sigs and H&Ks held up better than any other manufacturer.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Sponsor
    Tangle,

Have you got a link to the ICE tests? They were mentioned earlier in this thread as well I think [ maybe by yourself ].

I'd be interested in reading the results as well.

Brownie

Senior Moderator
    I don't. There were a lot of articles written about the 'released' outcomes of the extensive testing. Very little was released about the tests, and manufacturers were not allowed to discuss the details.

There were some teasers 'sprinkled' about but no one really violated the restrictions they were under.

Basically, millions of rounds were fired. Glock was there; from what I learned from a Sig rep, they didn't do so good. The bottom line is after extensive testing and huge amounts of rounds fired, Sig and I think is was the DAK version and H&K, and again IIRC, the P2000 model won huge contracts.

Sponsor
    Thanks for the response sir.

Brownie

Senior Moderator
    I'm like you, I'd like to see what really went on in those tests too. Sig did print a little bit about their particular experience in their "Velocity" publication, but it did not disclose very much. I doubt we'll ever know what really took place.

Quote Originally Posted by DOGOFWAR01 View Post
    if only can choose one:

SIG P226 in 9mm DA/SA

SA for the precision shot

9MM availability of ammo worldwide - price - able to go with P+ and P++

SIG reliability, accuracy, better grip than Glock (Glock finger grooves and block grip my opinion not near as good as a SIG) (I would like to see Glock offer the older slick as an option again - no finger grooves and round the block corners much more)

++++

the 40 S&W is "snappy" up on recoil

the 357 SIG pushes back on recoil - bottle neck round and is a flat long distance round

if not 9mm then 357 SIG
    I prefer the Sig 229-40 caliber! It's weight greatly dampens recoil and rapid fire is both fast & accurate!
    Semper Fi Till The Day I Die!
    Time to make some coffee!

My personal choice would be a 40 or 45..but with a 9mm you can almost be assured of being able to scrounge ammo from a dead bad guy. Now what would probably happen if the fight resorted to using a handgun, kill a bad guy pick up his AK and continue the fight.
    Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    Glock 17 but it's hard to overlook the history of the 1911.

GLK 17 I think

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    The best all time .... no doubt the 1911, 45 APC. Most proven and been around a long time. I know serveral people still in the Army who was in before the switch to Berreta and they all will tell you, they wish they had their old 45 instead of a 9MM. These are people who have served in combat.

Glock 23 or 27.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Links