What is the best combat handgun in use today?

This is a discussion on What is the best combat handgun in use today? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A poster on another board wrote: "It's a Glock 22... the finest combat handgun currently on the face of the earth.... I wouldn't expect anything ...

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the best combat handgun in use today?

What is the best combat handgun in use today?

A poster on another board wrote:

"It's a Glock 22... the finest combat handgun currently on the face of the earth.... I wouldn't expect anything less..."

What is the best combat handgun in use today? By this, I mean what is the most accurate, reliable, and economical handgun to arm a large body of people with?

My answer is a Glock 17 and my reasons are it is totally reliable, the ammo is in use all around the world, and Glock gives large discounts on volume sales. Lastly, I throw out the 40 S&W because the ammo is expensive and snappy to fire.

My favorite handgun is a 1911 in 45acp; why didn't I respond with a 1911 pistol? I have never had a malfi with a G17 and the G17's manual of arms is simpler.

Regards,

Richard

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    Taking all the things you wrote into account, I'd agree that a Glock (Any of the 9mm models) is probably the best.

The Glock's right up there with the best as far as reliability & combat accuracy. When you factor in Glocks "special" pricing (Especially to LE angencies), it's hard to beat.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

The one you have when you are faced with having to do "combat!" Handguns are not designed for combat, they are designed for self defense so you can fight your way back to your rifle!

The "what's the best handgun . . ." is an on-going and unending argument. Between those who know it is a 1911 in .45 ACP and everybody else who is wrong!

Which handgun was purchased specifically for combat for the last 22 years and is currently being used in combat?

Beretta M9

(Recent news release)
    ACCOKEEK, Md., Sept. 10 /PRNewswire/ -- Beretta U.S.A. Corp. announced today the receipt of purchase orders from the U.S. Army and U.S. Navy for a total of 10,576 M9 pistols (5,969 for the Army, 4,607 for the Navy). The purchase orders were issued against a multi-year contract between Beretta U.S.A. and the U.S. Army, which serves as executive purchasing agent of the M9 pistol for all branches of the U.S. Armed Forces.

"We are always honored to be given the opportunity to serve the U.S. Armed Forces by supplying the Beretta M9 pistol," noted Jeff Reh, Vice-General Manager for Beretta U.S.A. Corp. "The Beretta M9 pistol remains the most reliable and well-tested handgun in the U.S. military inventory, with tests resulting in an average of only one malfunction every 20,500 rounds fired." Beretta U.S.A. Corp., manufacturer of the Beretta M9 pistol, employs over 330 employees and manufactures the sidearm at its factory in Accokeek, Maryland.

Beretta U.S.A. Corp. has supplied the Beretta M9 pistol as the standard sidearm for the U.S. Armed Forces since 1985.

In 2005, Beretta U.S.A. Corp. received 13 contracts for M9 pistols and component parts from the U.S. Army and U.S. Marine Corps. Many of the U.S. Army contracts were multi-year contracts lasting five years, from which over 31 million dollars in purchase orders have since been issued to Beretta U.S.A. Corp.

Beretta, established in 1526, is the oldest industrial dynasty in the world tracing its roots through 16 generations of continuous family ownership. Firearms bearing the Beretta name have been sold for almost 500 years. Beretta USA Corp. was founded in 1977 and supplies the standard sidearm to the U.S. Armed Forces. Today Beretta manufactures, distributes and markets a complete line of firearms, accessories and apparel. Beretta also owns and operates six retail Beretta Gallery stores worldwide. For additional information visit http://www.berettausa.com.
    Welcome to Tennessee, the patron state of shootin' stuff.--SHOOTER

Administrator

Talking

Yes, I would have to agree that the Glocks chambered for .380 LONG cartridge...Whoops! - I mean 9mm are probably the best simplistic reasonably priced compromise self-defense firearm on the market today.
    And certainly what they lack in the way of trigger pull and ergonomics they make up for in their ability to send multitudes of angry little buzzing 9mm hornets out in the general direction of the intended target.
    I sort of prefer the old blundering slab-sided all metal outdated antique dinosaur of a 1911 with its comparatively smaller number of heavier slower moving flying ashtrays -I love the Sweet Crisp SA trigger - natural point-ability - flawless balance...and I dunno...I actually LIKE the thumb safety and especially the ability to add nice Ivory grips onto it. And just like the Glocks mine always go bang when I pull the trigger.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    I believe that it's impossible to give an absolute answer. There are just too many fine hand guns, and also what constitutes the best will depend on the indiviual. With all due respect to the Glock fans (I like them, I have 2), to me, the best combination of things (Accuracy, features, capacity, etc), it would have to be the XD 45. Why? Like the Glock, it's light weight. Unlike the Glocks, it has a natural grip angle, and is much better than the Glock. I have, as I've mentioned before, considered the XD to be a "Super Glock". in that it has the advantages of the Glock, such as light weight, great trigger safety system, and adds a grip safety, which I love, and tactile cocked striker and loaded chamber indicators. I love the 45 caliber, It has much better stopping power than 9mm. In fact, unlike the 9mm, the FMJ rounds that I shoot for practice are effective self defense rounds. Yes, I prefer hollow points, but in a pinch, it's nice to know that I am not going to have to worry if the only thing that I have in my gun is FMJ. And, like the Glock 21, the XD 45 has a capacity of 13+1. But if you think that the Glock is better, then for you, you're right, just like the guy who thinks that a 1911 is the only way to go. It all depends on what the particular needs are at the time.

I'd have to agree with the glock 17. Light, hi-capacity, accurate, and reliable. What more could you ask for in a combat handgun? Second to that, I would consider the HK USP tactical to be up there as well.
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at...

The "Best" ???

The "Best" for me might be the S&W 3913TSW, a 9mm single stack pistol; and like the .45 acp, it holds 8 rounds, though I prefer its lighter weight a bunch more.

Though the 3913 might be "Best" for me, I sure do prefer shooting the S&W Performance Center 627, in .357 magnum. It also is a 8 shooter, and 8 rounds of 180 grain GDHP at 1300 fps, or a 170 JHC at 1400 fps impresses me. Is this "Best" ? I don't know, but I practice with it, and carry it.

"Best" is certainly a personal quality. I only ask, "Can you shoot it accurately and consistently hit the target" ?

Let's ask an authority - Jack Bauer

We should consult with the guy who has logged more combat with a handgun recently than almost anybody - Jack Bauer on "24".

He appears to recommend the H&K USP:

1911A1 in the hands of an expert.If 8 isn't enough I have my Springfield 1911A1high cap with 13.

Administrator
    We all can agree this is a largely subjective matter, but the guys who that are going to post that xx pistol is the best because thats what they have....

Anyway, the best isnt always the most economical. I do think Glocks success is because they have found the balance point between the two. Sure, Glock could sell their pistol for a lot less and still turn a profit, but why would they? If I had to arm a police force or army I would go with Glocks, no doubt about that one.

If budget would allow, Sigs. I honestly think the best production combat pistol is the 220, followed by the 226. This came from tons of research and trials I took part in a few years ago in order to find not the most economical, but the best pistol available for police use.

I do have to tip my hat to the tried true 1911. It proves itself over and over. Who can argue with its sucess? I do think it is no longer the best because of reasons that have nothing to do with accuracy, reliability or anything else we look for in a pistol.
    Last edited by SIXTO; September 28th, 2007 at 11:25 AM.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Well Richard, the best Combat Handguns are the ones where my picture shows up in Rick Miller's Tactics column! Oh, did I misunderstand the question?

Your actual question is way too subjective, old pal.

Are you the kind of guy who kicks a Hornet's Nest on purpose? This is a forum full of passionate pistoleros who've spent big WADS of money trying to decide, for themselves, the answer to that very question. Now some will matter-of-factly give their authoritative answer while others will stomp-&-scream that their opinion carries heaver weight. Me? I'm gonna' let you spend your own thousands of dollars in your personal quest for the "best". My pick? It's somewhere between my mildly tuned GLOCK G19 & my totally custom (Cylinder & Slide) Browning Hi-Power in .357 SIG! But there are dozens of choices between the two. Good Luck!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Distinguished Member Array AnimalKracker's Avatar
    I see we're starting the day off with a bang. I'm pretty sure we'll see lots that like the Glock and other modern DA autos, I'll bet several wade in with a nice combat revolver. But the 1911 has been on the scene with someone somewhere since WW1. Some say it's out dated and prefer a more modern hi-capacity pistol, while others say it's fine just give me more mags. I have both and don't feel uncomfortable with either, just give me plenty of mags and I'm fine.

I'll second the USP in .40.

It has many advantages over the M9 and the 1911.
    Plus it can be carried with the safety on, and the hammer down.
    I don't think the military will never use a striker fired pistol
    Support Maryland Shall Issue
    http://www.marylandshallissue.org/

Maryland Shooters,
    Visit http://www.mdshooters.com/

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Links