Defensive Carry banner

Sig P239

9K views 31 replies 20 participants last post by  MikeNH 
#1 ·
I want to know your opinions on the SIG P239. I currently have a P229 that I'd love to carry but it seems that it would be just to big for me. I'm considering the P239 because I really like Sig pistols, they just feel great on my hand. I know that it is probably a bit on the heavy side for a compact but I wanted to hear people's experience with it (or with your P229 too :smile:)

#2 ·
I have a Sig DA/SA P239 in 9mm as my current CCW and it's outstanding. It is VERY accurate and very reliable. The weight doesn't bother me with a good holster.

While I wouldn't mind shaving 5oz, the only thing I really would like better is if it was higher capacity.

To that end I've ordered an HK P2000 SK in DA/SA 9mm and I look forward to see how they stack up. The P2000 SK is supposed to accept HK P30 full capacity (15rd) mags (I have two sitting on my desk).

I think you are hard pressed to go wrong with either the P239 or the P2000 SK.

-john

#7 · (Edited)
I'm afraid not. I haven't been able to find one locally (had to order it).

I'm hoping mine will be in today and if so, there is a good chance I'll have shot one today! ;-) [ Edit: Alas, not until Monday. :-( ]

Dean407 did a range report.

Oh the wait. The wait.

-john

P239 vs P2000SK thread
Dean posts pick of his new P2000 SK
TN Mike shoots a P2000SK
H&K P2000SK... who owns one?
P2000 vs P2000SK size

Pictures of the P239 being carried (from the "how do you carry thread"):
ev239#1 ev239#2
Protect
OldMick

Picture of the P2000SK being worn:
USPc or P2000SK for CCW? More in his gallery.
Hobbes with his P2000SK in a Garrity.

#8 ·
P229 and P239

I wanted to hear people's experience with it (or with your P229 too)
I have a P229 in .40 but not a P239. The P229 is one of my favorite guns for targets or home defense, but I prefer something lighter weight and a little thinner for concealed carry.

The P239 is about the right size and weight for carry, and I like the thin profile of the gun compared to the P229. I have been tempted to buy one several times, but haven't done so yet. I would probably go with the .40 caliber version if I did buy one. I think the version with the stainless slide and black frame is very good looking:

#9 ·
I have a 239 in 9mm and love it. Yea, it could lose a couple ounces, but it shoots really well - a real "tack-driver".

I do have a 229 in .40 and 357, but because of being real busy at work I haven't had a chance to work with it much, so I can't really compare them yet.

#10 ·
The P239 is a great carry pistol and just as accurate as the P229. I have both (a P229R DAK .40 and a P239 DAK 9mm). I like to conceal carry both (in Kydex IWB holsters), but the P239 does print just a tad less. As already mentioned, just wish the P239 had a higher carry capacity, but I'm fine with it. Your P229 needs a little brother to keep it company.:hand10: Here a pic of my P229 and P239 together to give you a size comparison:

#12 ·
I have a 239 in 40 DAO with CT grips, night sites, and love it. I have small hands and really like the single stack. ..:smile:

I got DAO as my S&W 642 and my Kel-Tec 380 are both DAO.

#16 ·
I really like the 239, its a fine gun. I own a 9mm and have had it 6 or 7 years now.
Its only fault is the capacity/size ratio. It was replaced in my regular carry rotation by a Kahr. Its much smaller and carries the same amount of ammo. I think the 239 is a better gun though.

#17 ·
i have a p239 in 9mm,it is scary accurate even at 25 yrds. :gah:

#19 ·
Great gun, if I were going to retire the Colt the P239 would be one of my top choices. My brother has one and it's easily one of the most accurate handguns I've ever fired.

#21 ·
My 9mm P239 is a great gun and a fine carry gun but, it is almost the same size as my G23 and is heavier. But it carries fewer, smaller caliber rounds than the G23.

Still, I do break it out now and then and carry her just so she doesn't think I have abandoned her. :smile:

#23 ·
I don't have a 239 but I do carry the 228 daily. I carry at about 3:30 in a CTAC most days. The 239 isn't enough smaller to justify the much lower capacity in my opinion- and the 228 really isn't difficult to hide.

#26 ·
I'm in the same boat as Pogo....I have a P229/.40...and love shooting it. However, I would like a single stack with athinner profile and the P239/.40 is at the top of my list.

Get it!!

#28 ·
I have a 229 in 9mm, I use a Galco Concealable and it's worked well for me, esp. since its cool enough to wear a light jacket most days up here in NH. though it covers pretty good with just a t-shirt (I bought a few "tall" sized t-shirts for this purpose). Sorry I don't have any pictures of it on me, theres no one here to take a pic of me wearing it and all the mirror shots I've tried with the camera don't come out good.

#29 ·
Nice Rig there Mike!

Does it conceal it enough that you can carry it in this holster in the summer with just a shirt on? Do you have to use an undershirt because it doesn't have a body shield/sweat guard? I've considered this holster before but I never wear undershirts and was concerned about the slid of the gun rubbing against my skin.

#32 ·
I can't answer for the summer heat as I just started carrying it this month, and due to work policy only on weekends. The slide will touch your skin with it so this may be something I have to address when it starts to warm back up (I think it dropped down into the 30s last night here so this won't be something to worry about till May or so!). But like you I never wear an undershirt either. A T shirt does an ok job covering it during normal walking and such, but it does print when you bend or twist enough, but this is made a bit worse IMO since I added Houge wrap around grips to it, the added thickness makes it easier for me to shoot, and I seem to shoot better but the rubber "grabs" the shirt somewhat. Like I said I bought a few shirts that were sized for taller people, I'm around 6' and these go a bit down my thigh and do a better job covering than a standard length shirt. Not that it is if much use to you in FL but it goes away completely under a jacket, but that probably isn't an option for you :urla9ub: I guess the reward for the cold weather up here is making concealing easier haha.

Thats my experience so far. One last thought given that the FL climate tends to allow you to dress lightly more often is that a IWB setup may be better for you, I don't like it because I'm a pretty big guy and I tend to get in the way of the gun with IWB carry if ya know what I mean :rofl:

#30 ·
With my P239, having a sweat shield that goes up and protects you from the hammer is nice. W/o a shield, sometimes the hammer will gouge my side. Not real bad, but enough to make me want to wear an undershirt.

With my Comp-Tac MTAC Crossbreed Supertuck, you can very comfortably wear w/o an undershirt. These holsters have full leather shield which not only protects you from gouges, but spread the pressure/weight over a large area.

With my Comp-Tac Pro Undercover and CTAC, you are protected and it is comfortable, but not quite as much as the leather lined holsters. I would also wear these w/o undershirt.

My Kramer IWB #3 doesn't quite cover the hammer, but the everything else. It's pretty comfortable. Not a bad holster overall.

I also have a Glaco Ultra Deep Cover (older model) which is built well, but I don't think it works well as concealment holster. It doesn't tuck the grip, and it is way too bulky. It creates a big bulge on me unlike all the other holsters I have.

I have a Galco Undercover for my Beretta 92FS, and it is OK, but keep in mind it is only a single layer of leather. I suspect you'd have issues with the mouth collapsing after lots of use (I don't carry the 92 so this isn't an issue).

All in all, I am probably uninclined to purchase any more Galco holsters. OTOH I really like their dual layer SB9 belts. I just wish they came in more colors.

-john

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.