Mouse guns NAA guardian .32NAA Vs keltec p-3at

This is a discussion on Mouse guns NAA guardian .32NAA Vs keltec p-3at within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I found that bottlenecked .32naa quite interesting .32naa vs. keltec ??...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mouse guns NAA guardian .32NAA Vs keltec p-3at

Mouse guns NAA guardian .32NAA Vs keltec p-3at

I found that bottlenecked .32naa quite interesting

.32naa vs. keltec ??
    A second more, might just be a second to late...

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    The P3AT. The .380 is a better caliber. If you were to put the NAA against the .32 Kel Tec, I'd probably side with the NAA.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

I have herd many bad things about the keltec atleast in .380 with the exception of their customer service
    A second more, might just be a second to late...

Quote Originally Posted by G23fl View Post
    I have herd many bad things about the keltec atleast in .380 with the exception of their customer service
    Although I don't own a P3at, most agree that the teething problems of it were corrected in the 2nd gen. The NAA .32 is interesting as it is a necked down 380 but it seems only to be a curiosity. Check out how much it costs to feed it (if you can find it locally) vs a 380 and a lot of $$$ is burned in practice for no gain in ballistics or stopping power. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you need to dramatically increase the speed of a smaller, lighter bullet to equal a slower heavier bullets energy.

Numbers from Corbons website 2.5 in barrel:

32 AUTO 60 GR. JHP 1050FPS/147FTLBS

32NAA 60 GR. JHP 1150FPS/176FTLBS

380 AUTO 90 GR. JHP 1050FPS/220FTLBS

Thats a 20% difference in energy! Why bother when you can get a more powerful, common caliber in the same or smaller form factor.

Getting close to .22 numbers

Quote Originally Posted by Ghuqu2 View Post
    Numbers from Corbons website 2.5 in barrel:

32 AUTO 60 GR. JHP 1050FPS/147FTLBS

32NAA 60 GR. JHP 1150FPS/176FTLBS

380 AUTO 90 GR. JHP 1050FPS/220FTLBS

Thats a 20% difference in energy! Why bother when you can get a more powerful, common caliber in the same or smaller form factor.
    I agree that either the .32 ACP or the .32 NAA are pretty puny. I looked up the numbers for conventional .22 Long Rifle High Velocity ammo on the CCI website and found this for their "Mini-Mag" product:

Bullet weight = 40 grains
    Muzzle velocity = 1235 fps
    Muzzle energy = 135 ft-lbs

Neither of the .32 caliber loadings improve very much on the .22.

Read the specifics on the chart above, the guns used were probably a 4-6" gun. I have seen many charts showing the difference in ft-lbs is less than 20 ft-lbs when fired out of a mouse gun. I have a 32 and a 380 Guardian, I chose both of them over the Keltecs. They both have been 100% flawless and one of them is always with me. The Ketecs are very hit and miss and there is no way I am going to buy a new firearm that I must work on to make reliable. Why didn't Keltec do this work before shipping this gun to people that are going to use the thing to protect their lives and the lives of their loved ones. How in the world do they sleep at night? I myself have refrained from buying the 32NAA because of limited ammo choices. If more manufacturers pick it up the price will drop and there will be target ammo made for it, but right now it is just to expensive to shoot. Besides the 32NAA can't be gutter sniped and I love that feature on these guns.
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Take a look at the ballistics of that necked down cartridge and you will not be impressed. Its a solution to a non problem and does NOT give you anywhere near .380 performance. I would rather have the .32's performance over that special round and be bound to the few options it presents. However I do like the gun itself other than the gimic round it uses. I do think the gun is more reliable and better built than the KelTec, which is sort of a crap shoot. But if I am going to go .380, in that respect I would not go with that particular round and get something that WILL shoot .380's.

But be careful with your simple conversions of percentages. They do not come out to kenetic energy delivered when you start figuring in the 60 grain bullet doing that. It's significantly better than .22 when you take all variables into account.

I personally chose a .32 for a true mouse gun. Not that I prefer to carry one. But sometimes its all I can carry. And its ballistics are impressive when used with Hollow points at close range. Much better than a sharp stick. And shot placement is critical to effect. If I can I go way on up in caliber when I can conceal it.
    Last edited by cphilip; September 29th, 2007 at 04:53 PM.

EW3
    I had an NAA .380 until recently, when I sold it to a fellow forum member. The piece is extremely well made, but solid stainless steel and at 22 oz loaded, was simply too heavy IMO for pocket carry.

I picked up a P-3AT last night on a whim while at the range. The price was right, and I want to see how this thing performs. It is so much lighter at 11 oz loaded, you can hardly tell it's in your pocket. It's also a bit thinner than the Guardian.

The downsides I can see (gotta break out the Dremel!) are that this thing looks pretty cheaply constructed (lots of plastic flash molding crap hanging off of it, and visible machining marks) which leads me to believe I'll be disappointed. We shall see...
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

Can't speak to the NAA but I've got a 2nd gen P3AT and it goes bang every time. Other than that not much to say about it. Other than it collects alot of pocket lint b/c it's always on me as a BUG at least.

I it was me I would go with the 380. I got a p3at and it is a great little gun. It might not look like much, but it does the job.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

a little late but I just broke in my new P3at yesterday and the only issues we had were with the white box ammo and my wife having trouble working the slide when the gun heated up and got real dirty. We had workrf the action ahead of time for her to get used to it with snap caps and I had her going sustained fire while I loaded the mags for about 150 rounds. No feeding issues, unlike the PM9 which doesn't like witebox apperently.

I have a 2nd generation P3AT and I was scared by all the problems talked about on this and other boards. I printed all the F&B instructions, but so far I haven't had any problems with anything I have put through it, including my own handloads.

+1 on the P3AT over anything in .32NAA - its engineered for failure with high velocity and a light weight bullet you'll have to aim for the eyeballs.

Austin

I trust my Kel-Tec P3AT 2nd gen, never a hiccup once broken in.

Pocket lint doesn't seem to affect it. :)

I've had ZERO problems with either of my .32 and .380 Keltecs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links