Melonite treatment

This is a discussion on Melonite treatment within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi, Just wanted to give a little feedback on Drake's Gunworks.... Today I received my P7 back from Drake after having him refinish it with ...

Thread: Melonite treatment

Melonite treatment

Hi, Just wanted to give a little feedback on Drake's Gunworks.... Today I received my P7 back from Drake after having him refinish it with Melonite. It looks GREAT. Just what I had hoped for. It is supposed to be very durable and rust resistant. Only time will tell...

Drake appears to do excellent work. He did the work in less time than his estimate and at a reasonable price. No complaints only praise.... Just FYI ..... mike

2. Remove Ads

Mo
    Hmm, I thought the real Melonite and Tennifer treatments weren't available in the US because of restrictions on chemicals/byproducts from the process? Is this a true Melonite treatment or something he's calling "melonite?" Do you have a link or more info? I'd be interested in getting my 1911 finished in something like that if it's the true chemical metal treatment.

Coal Creek Armory offers a Melonite finish also. Check here.

-RD62

Mo,
    You are partially correct. The Glock Tenifer treatment has a high cyanide content which the EPA frowns upon. I am using salt bath nitride QPQ which is a metal treatment that is commonly referred to as Melonite. The company that does my treatment has worked for many firearms companies and custom smiths.
    I am a firearms trainer/armorer for my department. I work on 1911's on the side. My site hasn't been updated in a while, but feel free to check it out. Thanks.
    I am not trying to step on any toes here. I was just responding to a post that a customer, Mike, told me about.

Drake Oldham
    www.drakesgunworks.com

Quote Originally Posted by Drake Oldham View Post
    Mo,
    You are partially correct. The Glock Tenifer treatment has a high cyanide content which the EPA frowns upon. I am using salt bath nitride QPQ which is a metal treatment that is commonly referred to as Melonite. The company that does my treatment has worked for many firearms companies and custom smiths.
    I am a firearms trainer/armorer for my department. I work on 1911's on the side. My site hasn't been updated in a while, but feel free to check it out. Thanks.
    I am not trying to step on any toes here. I was just responding to a post that a customer, Mike, told me about.

Drake Oldham
    www.drakesgunworks.com

nope got all my toes , and glad to hear from the horses' mouth .
    also nice to have another 1911 fan as well as a smith .

elance

Quote Originally Posted by Drake Oldham View Post
    Mo,

Drake Oldham
    www.drakesgunworks.com
    Welcome and thanks for the information

wyo-man

Mo
    My toes are definitely still there, I'd love to see some photos of the P7 or other guns that have had this done. I don't think anyone would object to Drake sharing some photos here if he wanted.

Hello again,
    I'm not computer savy enough to send photos but I am quite satisfied with the aesthetics. (Of course , the jury is still out on the " durabilty".)
    There's a number of photos (of P7's with melonite ) at parkcitiestactical under "the cult of the P7" ....... (no bias about P7's of course) mike
    By the way, I have no connections with Drake and do not wish this to be viewed as a recommendation.... just my experience.

There are a few pictures on my site. Click on the Gallery. Thanks.

Drake
    www.drakesgunworks.com

Links