Can A glock fire from its half cocked position

This is a discussion on Can A glock fire from its half cocked position within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does it have enough ooomf to fire primer?...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can A glock fire from its half cocked position

Can A glock fire from its half cocked position

Does it have enough ooomf to fire primer?

2. Remove Ads

It wouldn't matter because of the firing pin safety

from glock.com
    FIRING PIN SAFETY
    The GLOCK firing pin safety is a solid hardened steel pin which, in the secured state, blocks the firing pin channel, rendering the igniting of a chambered cartridge by the firing pin impossible. The firing pin safety is only pushed upward to release the firing pin for firing when the trigger is pulled and the safety is pushed up through the backward movement of the trigger bar. Releasing the trigger will automatically reactivate the firing pin safety.
    Somebody kicked my dog Mavis and I'm going to find out just who the hell it was.

true but what if that failed.

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar

I say "no way"

For the firing pin to strike the primer without a trigger-pull, both of these events must occur:
    (1) the lug on the rear of the firing pin must break off
    (2) the firing pin safety must malfunction (or be absent).

Theoretically possible, but I think for both failures to occur simultaneously is practically impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by skystud1 View Post
    true but what if that failed.
    If it fails sue the manufacturer. Obviously if something fails you are vulnerable to round being fired if the failure is part of that system.

Wing falls off a 767 jumbo, the plane falls out of the sky too!

Bottom line, a round should not fire as asked in your original post if you are just pulling the trigger. The intertia from gun being dropped onto it's muzzle may be a different story if the Firing Pin Safety is broken.

**also this is my opinion as I am not a glock armorer or a glock representative. Don't come looking to sue me if the infomation I provide is incorrect.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Wings do fall off Boeings every now and then. Corrosion is a beeeatch!

Quote Originally Posted by skystud1 View Post
    Wings do fall off Boeings every now and then. Corrosion is a beeeatch!
    Oh yeah... I worked as an industrial medic at TWA overhaul base for a while in KCMO. Seen some scary stuff!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    If it fails sue the manufacturer. Obviously if something fails you are vulnerable to round being fired if the failure is part of that system.
    All the jury decisions in the world won't compensate the loss of a human life lost to an AD.

Quote Originally Posted by Biloxi Bersa View Post
    All the jury decisions in the world won't compensate the loss of a human life lost to an AD.
    True... but at some point you have to come to realistic considerations.

Glocks are safe guns... I would say probably all modern firearms are safe with adequate safety features and built from adequately reliable materials.

The probability of a parts failure is a real consideration but if you do your part, the gun should do it's part. What are you going to do about a part that fails and causes a AD? If you weren't negligent in your part regarding proper maintenence and inspection, I don't see how you could prevent it.

The only way would be what most sheep do and cower at the sight of a gun almost throwing up if god forbid they would have to touch one.

Any and all unintentional deaths is tragic beyond anyones compensation.

All I am saying if a gun fails due to faulty manufacturing and causes a loss of life, I don't think I should be put in prison if I did nothing negligent.

Now If I was violating the rules of safety by allowing my muzzle to cover a person, or failed to determine my back stop, or was negligent in any other way, then those would be instances where the person had to have some accountability for.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Biloxi Bersa View Post
    True, but what do you offer as an alternative, given the fact that just about anything can fail and cause catastrophic injury.

Just how well do you trust the welds on that 12 quart pot you're boiling water in for your spaghetti? If those give way when you're carrying the pot to the sink to drain the pasta, hellooo 3 gallons of boiling water on your crotch and legs. Fun? Nope. Predictable? Hardly. But what are you going to do, never ever make pasta?

If the A-frame on your car's suspension fractures and you lose control of your car on a twisty mountain highway at 70 mph, the cost will be pretty high and suing the manufacturer won't help you then, either. So will you just never drive?

Not only would the firing pin block have to fail, the trigger bar would have to virtually disintegrate. It goes into a drop safety notch when the trigger returns and also keeps the striker from moving forward.

Further, the action of the slide moving only puts 2/3 of the travel on the striker, the movement of the trigger supplies the rest. GLOCK is technically a DAO gun.

They will fire while out of complete battery, but you're talking about 1/32nd of an inch. To have a round go off with the slide half way back, you'd have to be talking about a hangfire or something.

One man's opinion,
    HK Dan
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    True... but at some point you have to come to realistic considerations.
    That is the key point. There are umpteen thousand Glocks in circulation, and there has never been a failure report of the type you describe. "Could it...?", yes; it isn't a statistical impossibility. It would be more sensible to be more aware of keeping one's booger-hook off the bang-switch, than worrying about a 4 part metalurgical and mechanical failure.

Mechanical/metal failure in no way addresses the necessary mass and speed required to ignite any given primer. Even if the failure did occur, you'd have to have an amazing confluence of events to have such a sensitive primer in the round you had in the chamber on that given day...

The sky is falling...the sky is falling...
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Quote Originally Posted by HK Dan View Post
    Not only would the firing pin block have to fail, the trigger bar would have to virtually disintegrate. It goes into a drop safety notch when the trigger returns and also keeps the striker from moving forward.

Further, the action of the slide moving only puts 2/3 of the travel on the striker, the movement of the trigger supplies the rest. GLOCK is technically a DAO gun.

They will fire while out of complete battery, but you're talking about 1/32nd of an inch. To have a round go off with the slide half way back, you'd have to be talking about a hangfire or something.

One man's opinion,
    HK Dan
    You guys are way too analytical!! I just asked if the half cocked striker has enough power to fire a bullet...

Administrator
    I believe that in a Glock pistol the striker spring is at rest AKA not compressed and only compresses as the trigger is pulled rearward so I would say "no" that could not happen.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links