New Springfield Micro Compact. Pls advise.

This is a discussion on New Springfield Micro Compact. Pls advise. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi people, I finally locatred an SA GI micro compact (the parkerized one) for a semi-reasonable price after searching for a couple weeks. Man these ...

Thread: New Springfield Micro Compact. Pls advise.

New Springfield Micro Compact. Pls advise.

Hi people,

I finally locatred an SA GI micro compact (the parkerized one) for a semi-reasonable price after searching for a couple weeks. Man these things are scarce and the one I got was the last one the dealer had.

I called SA and they told me it was manufactured 08/07 and that was the latest run of these. They guy I spoke to said he was surprised I found one this late, that they sell like hotcakes.

It will get here Saturday. Any advice as to how to break it in correctly or any other tips or pointers will be greatly appreciated. I've owned some .45s (still do) but never one with a 3" barrel. Just have to see what the fuss is all about.

It might replace my Kahr PM9 as my EDC. Not sure about that yet, obviously.

There are a few variations of this pistol. This one is the bare bones, GI - parkerized. PW9801LP.

But I have read some people say their's GI parkerized came with a lowered and flared port, others lowered but not flared and still othesr yet that said the port was a standard GI.

I did my own informal poll on the quality of these pistols by checking what was said about them in various forums including this one.

Positive comments ran about 7-1 saying this was a decent quality pistol.

What do you folks say?

Thanks,

Mike

2. Remove Ads

I have the exact same pistol. Over 4,000 rounds and it's one of my primary carries. The GI series can be a little rough in the fine finishing dept so I did polish the feed ramp, breach face and chamber after about 150 rounds of break in with 230 gr. range ammo. If I remember right it was either Independence or Fiochi. It did run a little rough up until that point. The polishing smoothed things right out and it has run good ever since. It has happily digested every kind of hollow point I've tried in it and these days sees a lot of reloads at the range.

I changed the recoil spring assembly about 500 rounds ago as my groups were opening up. This tightened them back up again. It also runs flawless with factory mags but mine, and guns can be individuals, did not care for the Wilson mag I tried in it so I'm staying with factories.

The trigger pull was a little hard for my taste so I did take it to a great 1911 smith and had a lighter trigger job done but that's an individual thing and had nothing to do with reliability.

If you're in central FL we ought to meet at a range for a little target time!
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

I have the Bi-tone one and it has never jammed or FTF ever. I have put over 2000 round in it and it is my primary CCW pistol. Steve48

Administrator
    I've owned one SA Micro compact. Mine was a loaded model. It had a lot of problems out of the box, but once I replaced some parts and tuned others, it was awesome. I dont even know why I sold it.

Most people have had great luck with them, but a few do hit the shelves with some problems. Good news is, they are pretty easy to get right.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Sorry I traded my "Loaded" Bi-Tone Micro Compact. EXCELLENT CCW.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

I just bought a used SA Micro Compact that had less than 50 rounds through it when I got it. I had 5 FTFs in the first 150 rounds and none since. I have about 300 down range so far so I am not confident in it yet, but a couple hundred more problem free rounds and I will be ready to start trusting it.

One thing about the Micro Compact is how scary accurate it is from 3-15 yards. It gives "point and click" a whole new meaning.
    It is not the Bill of Privileges. It is not the Bill of Permits. It is the Bill of Rights.

People should not be afraid of the government; the government should be afraid of the people.

I have what sounds to be the exact same gun...GI, Springer, Micro and it has been nuthing but trouble for me. I guess I shoulda kept on SPringfield to make it right. Went back to the factory once, new extractor and some polishing and still bad....not reliable at all.
    But seems like mine is the exception.
    R1

This is mine. That is yours.

Lets keep it that way.

Send it back till they get it right. Steve48

Thanks for all that info, guys.

How's the accuracy out to say about 20ft? The sights look minimal on it but I realize this is purely for self-defense not target shooting.

That's why I ask about a relatively short distance like 20ft.

Thanks again,

Mike

I can keep a very nice group and twenty feet and a respectable group at 60. The gun can outshoot my poor middle aged, trifocal bedecked eyes. It will be up to the operator to do his part!
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

I would strongly recommend that you use mags with strong springs and standard velocity ammo. High pressure ammo in compact pistols can cycle the slide faster than the mag can present the ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Drake Oldham View Post
    I would strongly recommend that you use mags with strong springs and standard velocity ammo. High pressure ammo in compact pistols can cycle the slide faster than the mag can present the ammo.
    The first time I took my mags apart to clean them, the first spring almost went through the roof. I could not believe how much spring was in that small space. The inside of the mag and the spring were really dirty after 200 rounds (1 session at the range). I have a couple of Chip McCormack mags and the springs in them are just as strong as the SA mags, maybe stronger. It is amazing that this short little 1911 works at all, but the mag springs seem to be a major factor in the mix.
    It is not the Bill of Privileges. It is not the Bill of Permits. It is the Bill of Rights.

People should not be afraid of the government; the government should be afraid of the people.

Links