Need input on Taurus Judge

This is a discussion on Need input on Taurus Judge within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm thinking about buying a taurus 4510KR3BMAG 410/45C, to carry when I go trail riding on my horse. Before I spend the money, I'd like ...

Thread: Need input on Taurus Judge

Need input on Taurus Judge

I'm thinking about buying a taurus 4510KR3BMAG 410/45C, to carry when I go trail riding on my horse. Before I spend the money, I'd like some input. Does anyone know anything about this little revolver you can share? recoil, accuracy, feel, ect: Thanks.
    The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding cititzens should also have guns.Otherwise they will win and the decent people will loss.''
    -James Earl Jones.

2. Remove Ads

This video should give you some idea of recoil.

http://www.taurususa.com/video/tauru...udge-video.cfm
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Senior Moderator
    Sevearl threads on this already. Search under 4410 and the Judge.

It is really lighting up the gun boards.
    Sometimes I wonder who the old man in the mirror is....

Lord, Grant me a good sword and no need to use it.

Try www.gunblast.com they have a review of the original plus just recently the lightweight version

Great info! Thanks everybody, It sounds perfect for my needs.
    The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding cititzens should also have guns.Otherwise they will win and the decent people will loss.''
    -James Earl Jones.

Here is a link to a review on another forum.
    http://concealedcarryforum.com/forum...?TOPIC_ID=1236

Ron
    Shine on...
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 9 Shield
    Taurus Raging Bull .454 Casull
    S&W M&P15 Sport;
    Mossberg 590A1

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Wonder if I could conceal that.....

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Quote Originally Posted by ultralite View Post
    I'm thinking about buying a taurus 4510KR3BMAG 410/45C, to carry when I go trail riding on my horse. Before I spend the money, I'd like some input. Does anyone know anything about this little revolver you can share? recoil, accuracy, feel, ect: Thanks.
    All I know is every time I ask to see one at Sportsman's Warehouse they are sold out. They seem to have generated a lot of interest and are selling well, at least locally in my neck of the woods.

Not to be a party pooper , but I would suggest a SA revolver over a DA on horseback. The reason is that when the horse shies, you'll keep squeezing the trigger until its empty. It's explained better by Massad Ayoob's article "Frontier style handguns for the modern backwoods home"

"Let’s think about it. You are the typical horseman, whose mount is not accustomed to gunfire. Suddenly, that fox that has been at the henhouse comes into sight, or you see a feral dog chasing your livestock. The handgun comes out of your holster. You take a sight picture, you press the trigger, and…

BANG!

Depending on the caliber, the handgun’s report explodes not terribly far from your horse’s ear, at something between 100 and 140 literally deafening decibels.

Is the horse likely to shy? Oh, yes.

You have one hand on the reins and one hand on the gun. As the horse rears violently, throwing you off balance and destabilizing you, your non-dominant hand desperately convulses on the reins. You have just fired a shot an instant before, so the trigger finger of your dominant hand is on the trigger of the handgun.

Physiologist Roger Enoka long ago scientifically determined how certain natural human movements under stress cause accidental discharges of guns in hand. There is interlimb response: As one hand closes on something, the other hand closes sympathetically, and…BANG. There is postural disturbance: As we start to lose our balance, we move convulsively to regain it, and our muscles sympathetically tighten, and …BANG. There is startle response: Something startles us and makes us jump or convulse. The gun is in the hand; the finger is on the trigger; the flexor muscles that close the fingers are stronger than the extensor muscles that open those fingers, and…BANG.

It is very likely to happen with a self-cocking semiautomatic pistol. Even if the trigger has come forward on a double-action revolver or semiautomatic pistol that might take 12 or more pounds to activate, the average human hand can close its fingers with far more pressure than that, and a person who is in shape can exert the equivalent of their body weight on the hand dynamometer, or hand-strength gauge. Autoloader or double-action revolver, in that situation, you will hear…BANG.

But with a single-action, frontier-style Peacemaker or equivalent revolver, you will hear…nothing. Because the gun’s design is such that it cannot fire until the thumb has performed the deliberate movement of cocking the hammer again."

Entire article found here:
    http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/ayoob101.html

The only experience I've had with one is at a gun show. I was interested in picking one up for my dad, but after handling it I realized he'd have to have hands as big as an NBA player to grip it. Its one loooooong sucker, 9.5". With my stubby fingers, I could barely reach the trigger!

Just when you think your getting close to making a decision on a good gun for horse back ,someone comes along makes you question your thinking, by drawing a funny yet scary picture in your head . thanks Chuqu for your input, those are some so excellent points to consider.
    -James Earl Jones.

fwiw, my ffl tried to order one last week - his distribution channels were out of stock.

I think it would be the best horse carry for all things cosidered. I have one and love it. I have shot many times from horseback, and know about the training aspect of it. (I robbed trains at Dry Gulch ,USA.) Hard to miss a snake with the 410. Let us know how it turns out.

just ordered My Judge

I just ordered my Judge from Cabalas. They are hard to find up here. I am committed to buying at least one gun a year and in the last 10 years I have met that goal. The wife said that I already got one this year but I explained that trades dont count. I traded my berrata Model 96 for S&W m&p 40 cal.

My uncle has one. We only had birdshot to shoot at the time, the S&B buckshot he bought for it wouldn't fit in the cylinder because the crimped end flared out and was too big. Later he got some Winchester buckshot it fits fine.

Recoil really isn't too bad, and the pattern is huge with birdshot. It's not too bad to shoot, but I don't think there's a lot of energy with such a short barrel. I suppose it would be great for snakes, and maybe some other small stuff, but nothing too big or tough.

They're pretty cool though. Lots of fun.

Links