Small 45 Carry options (1911 style)

This is a discussion on Small 45 Carry options (1911 style) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What are the options, pro/cons of the various carry 45 1911's? been looking at the SA Micro, Kimber UC, Colt. Does Sig make anything comparable? ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Small 45 Carry options (1911 style)

What are the options, pro/cons of the various carry 45 1911's? been looking at the SA Micro, Kimber UC, Colt. Does Sig make anything comparable? Others?

I like the SA Micro, but it seems impossible to find.

Not sure if any 1911's come with DA/SA triggers, but I think I like DA on first pull better than cocked and locked (paranoid about safety getting moved to "off" by accident).

Lead Moderator
    I don't know of any DA first shot 1911's , but Para Ordinance makes a Light DA 1911. try doing a search for the size of pistols you are looking for. Some short 1911's seem to sometimes have problems.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Administrator
    Why not just buy a SIG P~220 - DA/SA and it points as well as a 1911 and has phenomenal functional reliability.

"(paranoid about safety getting moved to "off" by accident)."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Another Option:
    If you want to you can buy a standard 1911 and have a gunsmith very slightly deepen the detent on the thumb safety and that will make it nearly impossible for the thumb safety to ever move to "Off Safe" on its own.
    It's a very tricky & delicate adjustment so a qualified custom smith needs to do it for you.
    It's really not a DIY project.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Generally speaking the short barrel 1911's (i.e. 3" inch) have been more prone to having reliability issues. I also believe one has to be more "picky" when it comes to ammo selection with the shorter barrels. There are only a few loads that have consistently performed well in ballistic tests (i.e. Corbon DPX 160gr & 185gr +P, Ranger-T 230gr +p, Fed Tact 230gr +P). Personally, I've always been paranoid about whether I would remember to get the safety to "off" if the situation arises. For this reason I prefer to carry my DA only guns (i.e. Glock, M&P, H&K, Kahr, etc). I have never been concerned with 1911's being unsafe. A few things need to happen (i.e. thumb/slide safety, grip safety, and trigger pulled) for them to go bang. You will get many opinions on which 1911's are best. Good luck.

I've had, in the past, a Colt Officer's Model, Springfield Armory's version of the Officer's Model and a couple of "chopped and bobbed" 1911's.

With that being stated, if I were to carry a 1911 I would stick with the Gov't Model Frame size due to my expiriences with reliability. Bear in mind, my expiriences are old, so don't judge by me.

I tend to stick with what I know works. For me that is, in "bottomfeeders" Glock/Block 19/23, 1911 Gov't Model, Kahr PM9 (due to size and reliability as mine works 100%).

As far as that goes, I don't own a 1911 at the moment and only 2 "bottomfeeders". I do carry the "bottomfeeder" they issue me at work. The rest of my guns have round things called cylinders. I think they serve my purposes better when I'm not at work.

I will be adding another "bottomfeeder" to the safe in another year. Most likely a Springfield Operator, due to what I saw and people I talked with in Brunswick, GA. For those of you that don't know, Brunswick, GA is the home of the Fereral Law Enforcement Training Center. Sigs and Glocks seem have a good rep down there, but like I said, I prefer round things.

Biker

I think the OP was thinking something smaller than a 220. They do have the 220 Carry that just came out and it has a shorter barrel...not sure about the frame. Look it up - Sigs are excellent.

Austin

I like my Kimbers, and I have never had a bad experience with either of mine...my EDC is an Ultra CDP II.
    Some people don't like the Kimbers and claim problems. I've known individuals with $2500 1911's who have had problems...if it's mechanical...it can have problems. Just like Fords and Chevy's some people swear by one and others only complain about the same make!

The bigger question is what do YOU like! OMO Have fun looking!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

C&S Adventurer. But be ready to shell out some big bucks for one...

http://www.cylinder-slide.com/adventurer2.shtml

Quote Originally Posted by darkvibe View Post
    C&S Adventurer. But be ready to shell out some big bucks for one...

http://www.cylinder-slide.com/adventurer2.shtml

WOW!!! That is a gorgeous gun!
    Lex et Libertas Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

I carried a Kimber UC every day for a year. I shot it frequently and had 1 FTE in over 1000 rounds (my fault, I limp-wristed my first weak-hand-only shot).

Find a cartridge the gun likes and stick to it. Mine ate WWB all day at the range. My carry ammo was Winchester Ranger-T.

As for the safety, a good holster totally precludes bumping the safety off.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by BigEFan View Post
    WOW!!! That is a gorgeous gun!
    Yes sir. Someday I'll own a titanium one but at ~$3.5k it's going to be when I win the lottery.

Someone on here has a Ti adventurer.
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ighlight=c%26s

Another happy Micro lover here. In my experience the vast majority of smaller 1911 users never experience any problems. I had more troubles making my Commander run right than the Micro. Mine has never balked at any round I fed it except some red hot Double Tap +P stuff. The ballistics tests I've seen that were chrono'd showed much less velocity drop than you'd think and the rounds all performed well.

When you train with a 1911 the manual safety becomes completely natural, just a final act before pulling the trigger that's incorporated into the grip. It's worked well for many people for many years.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Good Morning, ElCruisr...

Quote Originally Posted by ELCruisr View Post
    Another happy Micro lover here. In my experience the vast majority of smaller 1911 users never experience any problems. I had more troubles making my Commander run right than the Micro. Mine has never balked at any round I fed it except some red hot Double Tap +P stuff. The ballistics tests I've seen that were chrono'd showed much less velocity drop than you'd think and the rounds all performed well.

When you train with a 1911 the manual safety becomes completely natural, just a final act before pulling the trigger that's incorporated into the grip. It's worked well for many people for many years.

Don't really have to worry about velocity drop at seven feet...Right?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Small carry .45

You asked if Sig made anything comparable. The smallest Sig .45 is the P220 Compact, which has a 3.9 inch barrel, 6 round magazine, weighs 31.2 ounces empty, and is fairly wide:

Personally I use a Colt Defender for a small .45, which has a 3 inch barrel, 7 round magazine, weighs 24 ounces empty, and is quite slim with thin grip panels installed. It conceals well and has functioned reliably through about 600 rounds:

I am not worried about the thumb safety coming off accidently while being carried cocked and locked, as the Colt thumb safety has a fairly small "knob" and is reasonably stiff in operation. I would not use an ambi thumb safety with a longer lever, as this seems to increase the chances of accidental disengagement.

may also want to look for the CCO, commander slide on officers frame

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links