Good Gun for Person,Home, and hopefully Carry?

This is a discussion on Good Gun for Person,Home, and hopefully Carry? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I will be buying a pistol soon, and taking a CWP class to get to carry within the next 2-3 months depending on budget and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good Gun for Person,Home, and hopefully Carry?

I will be buying a pistol soon, and taking a CWP class to get to carry within the next 2-3 months depending on budget and work schedule... anyways I am wanting something around the 350-450 dollar range, since I am not rich:) I might be able to go a little higher since my gun shop I go to(which is 1 1/2 hours away) has a 90 days same as cash layaway plan... I am wanting something to use for home and personal carry... I would like something with a 3 or 4 inch barrel.... I am not a fan of 2 inch barrels.. I used to own a Taurus Millenium Pro a few years ago but sold it when money got tough right after I got out of the service.

anyways what ya got for me:) Pics would be appreciated..

thansk and BTW I love this forum from what I have been reading...

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Springfield XD is one to look into. Easy to maintain/field strip, very excellent ergonomics ("point an shoot"), legendary springfield reliability,and quality. 'USA' safety action trigger, grip safety, loaded chamber indicator//firing pin status indicator,dual guide rail system...mine even came with a tactical light ,.... easy on the wallet,and usually comes with two mags, speed loader, etc...only thing I plan on doing,is add night sights.

EDIT: I just realized your budget,I paid just a little over 100 more than your budget. I was considering a Kel-tec pf9,or p11 when I purchased my XD. You could also look into some different CZ models.

But you have to ask,what do you want out of the gun?

Concealed carry? Larger caliber w/possible lower capacity? Higher capacity, smaller caliber?

2,3,4,5 inch barrel?

safety features?

Do you prefer automatic, or revolver?

After doing some thinking,you might see if you can rent some of the handguns you are inrested in,and see how you like the way they shoot.

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

If you would consider used, you could pick up a Glock 19 or XD9 in your price range. Both would serve well as carry and hd guns.

Well i believe "Koontzy" is looking to buy a used hand gun according to what iam reading
    anyways what ya got for me:) Pics would be appreciated
    So come on guys help him out, sorry i dont have any for sale. Good luck though.......Oh & by the way welcome to the site...........

Administrator
    Thats a huge question with an even bigger answer. If you intend on spending some time with the gun, an auto will do fine. If you think you'll go to a few classes and spend little time really learning to use the gun, a revolver is your best bet. If thats the way you want to go, I say a Ruger GP100 is the best for the money.

If you want to go auto, you can pick up a used Glock in the top end of your budget. The CZ line is hard to beat for that money too.
    I would shy away from Taurus because they are not the good deal the first seem to be. The initial cost of the gun is low, but they get you in magazines and other things.
    I still say one of the best deals in a semi auto is the Rugers, I'm partial to the P89. It isnt exactly state of the art, but it is a solid gun that can be had for under $350.
    "Just blame Sixto"

FNP-9

A fairly new polymer frame pistol on the market is the FNP-9, made in Belgium by the old line gun maker FNP Herstal. I have read a number of favorable reviews of this gun, and have seen them for sale on the Internet in the $400 to $450 range. You might want to consider this gun, as it is compact and light weight enough for carry, but has significant ammo capacity in a 15 round magazine.

Stephen Camp did a good review of the gun at this location:

Camp review of FNP-9

Quote Originally Posted by Ghettokracker71 View Post
    Springfield XD is one to look into. Easy to maintain/field strip, very excellent ergonomics ("point an shoot"), legendary springfield reliability,and quality. 'USA' safety action trigger, grip safety, loaded chamber indicator//firing pin status indicator,dual guide rail system...mine even came with a tactical light ,.... easy on the wallet,and usually comes with two mags, speed loader, etc...only thing I plan on doing,is add night sights.

EDIT: I just realized your budget,I paid just a little over 100 more than your budget. I was considering a Kel-tec pf9,or p11 when I purchased my XD. You could also look into some different CZ models.

But you have to ask,what do you want out of the gun?

Concealed carry? Larger caliber w/possible lower capacity? Higher capacity, smaller caliber?

2,3,4,5 inch barrel?

safety features?

Do you prefer automatic, or revolver?

After doing some thinking,you might see if you can rent some of the handguns you are inrested in,and see how you like the way they shoot.

I guess I will go ahead and answer your questions and give ya some more info:)

Definatley want to be able to carry it concealed... I prefer the larger calibers like .40, .357, .45 acp
    Not a big fan of the 9mm, I was in the Marines and did shoot to qualify on the pistol range... scored second highest in my platoon:) Only the sergeant beat me lol..

Capacity isnt a big deal, I mean I want to hold some shots ya know, doesnt need to be alot. around 5-10 would be fine..
    I like both semi's and revolvers, leaning towards semis though..

Quote Originally Posted by Koontzy View Post

Definatley want to be able to carry it concealed... I prefer the larger calibers like .40, .357, .45 acp
    Not a big fan of the 9mm, I was in the Marines and did shoot to qualify on the pistol range... scored second highest in my platoon:) Only the sergeant beat me lol..

Capacity isnt a big deal, I mean I want to hold some shots ya know, doesnt need to be alot. around 5-10 would be fine..
    In that case, may I suggest a 1911A1? If your body type does not allow a full size, you may want to consider a 4-inch.

There is plenty of discussion about how reliable the compact versions are, but I couldn't comment, having never owned one.

Quote Originally Posted by Koontzy View Post

How about a S&W 4013?

Single stack, light, flat, 40 S&W. Used should be right around $400.

I think you should be able to find a base model 1911 pattern gun from a good manufacturer in the $450.00 range. You can't beat the ol'war horse, easy to carry, easy to shoot and lots of spank for the BG. Springfield, Auto Ordnance,RIA and maybe some others also.

Koontzy,

Look over this post.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ad.php?t=33356

They pretty much gave me all the options in that price range. I ended up getting a Millenium Pro PT111 Series 3. I like it. Since you said you had a previous MPro, you can determine whether you would go back with one. I paid only 325 for mine and could have gotten it in either 9 or 40 or 45 for the same price, I chose 9 this time.

The new single action of the Series 3 is very nice, and the option of having a follow up trigger pull if you don't get bang on the first shot was a good idea to me. You just pull the trigger again and most probably the round will fire with the second shot. Basically, they are the same features as the 24/7 now.

Here is what Personal Defense TV says about them.

http://www.taurususa.com/video/taurus-247tv.cfm

All the suggestions I got were appealing. The XD is a nice gun, a bit more expensive, I was looking at the Smith M&P but heard some stuff about them having to be worked on a lot during ipsc competitions, don't know for sure.

Oh and if your looking at the revolver, I agree with Sixto, the GP100 is a sweet gun. Have one, just don't carry it.

Good luck with your search and welcome to the forum.
    Last edited by farronwolf; October 7th, 2007 at 10:41 PM.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    Glock 23 or 19

If you like .40 look for a used Glock G23. Same size as a G19. Easily concealed and makes a good hd gun. I carry one daily, and it goes on the nightstand when I go to sleep. You should be able to pick one up in the upper end of your budget.

I agree with previous posters. If you want a good revolver, go with the GP 100. If you want a good SemiAuto go with a used XD. Either one will serve you very well.
    Lex et Libertas Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

1911 Gov't Model - 96 years and going strong.

Austin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links