Re: Deciding on Carry Gun

This is a discussion on Re: Deciding on Carry Gun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am trying to decide on my first carry gun. I have settled on the 45 ACP for the cartridge, but can't decide whether to ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Re: Deciding on Carry Gun

Re: Deciding on Carry Gun

I am trying to decide on my first carry gun. I have settled on the 45 ACP for the cartridge, but can't decide whether to go with the S&W M&P, the Sig 220. I would like to practice with the gun to get comfortable with it, but want to have something that groups tight and will stand up in the long run.

I have shot the Glock 30 and am not crazy about it. It is too small for my hands and I wasn't happy with the trigger pull. I also read the comparison thread on here and seems the Glock and M&P are in a close race.

Comparitively, is the Sig worth the money over the Smith? For a novice shooter, will I notice that much of a difference between the two, or will it come down to feel. I would like to buy American though if all possible. I am planning to go handle both tomorrow.

2. Remove Ads

Would choose Sig P220

Of your two alternatives, I would pick the Sig P220, and would probably go with the new "carry" version of the P220, which has a shorter barrel and is slightly easier to conceal. I don't have any experience with the S&W M&P, but have a couple of Sigs and trust the brand to perform well. I realize that the Sig may cost you about $200 more, but I believe that it is worth it.

The P220 Carry has a 3.9 inch barrel and comes in several variations of trigger action and style. I personally like the traditional Sig DA/SA trigger, and would probably get that variation with stainless slide:

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    I'm not big on SIG personally, have you looked into the XD? M&P is also a fine weapon

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Senior Member Array firefighter4884's Avatar
    PA shooter...

I don't have any experience with the M&P in .45. I've handled one in the past, not sure if I've shot it...but the trigger seemed like it was fairly good.

I've shot a Sig P220, and really enjoyed the experience. The gun handles well, groups well, and is comfortable to shoot.

I know you said you've shot the Glock 30, and didn't like it. Have you looked at either the Glock 21, which is similar to the 30, in that it is a double stack, but it's also larger, so it's probably more comfortable to shoot :). There is also the Glock 36, which differs from the 30 and 21 in that it is a single stack, like a Sig 220.

Other options that you might want to look at in .45 include the Springfield Armory XD45, or XD45 Compact. I've shot the fullsize, and definitely want one! It was smooth, and fun and accurate! The guns are both double stacks, but have slimmer grips then the Glocks do. The XD45 full size holds 13 rounds in the mag. The XD45 compact has a shorter grip, and holds 10 rounds. The full size mags do fit into the compact gun!

There is also the new HK 45 and HK 45 compact. I'm not sure if they are widely available yet, but everything I've heard and read about them is good so far. You can also look at the USPc from HK in .45.

Kahr makes a decent line up of compact pistols. I've shot both the PM40 and PM9. They are supposedly shipping a PM45 this year, although I haven't seen one yet.

You could also go with a 1911 of some sort, there are a whole host of manufacturers, including, but not limited to: Kimber, Wilson, Rock River Arms, Springfield Armory, Para Ordanance, etc.

I hope all this helps.

Also, if you're new to shooting, I'd recommend picking up a .22LR pistol to go with you .45! Or, if you pick up the Glock or 1911, you can get a .22 LR conversion, which is nice. The 22 is nice for practicing the basics of pistol shooting, and it is FAR cheaper to shoot the 22 all after noon then it is to shoot your .45. A box of .45 ammo is going to cost you roughly the same as brick of .22LR ammo, or about ten rounds out of the .22 for every one out of the .45!

Hope this helps.

--Jim
    Firefighter / EMT - Always Ready. Ever Willing.

~Never do anything that you don't want to have to explain to the paramedics...~

Thanks for the advice.

I was looking at a Wilson KZ, but wanted to have the option of the 22 conversion, which eliminates the KZ. I need to do more homework on the 1911's to see which would suit me best. If I did go that route, I would like one to do its job when called on. But I would hate to short change a lot of accuracy or reliability for carry comfort (picking the KZ or higher end compact 1911 over a cheaper version).

if you got to have a 45 acp then i would take a look at the glock 36. small gun that fits small hands. i got one and it is a great gun.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

I have larger hands and the Glock 36 works OK for me...it's size and light weight make it especially suited for carry. I checked into the SIG P220 and a number of other .45 ACP choices, and just couldn't imagine lugging all that size and weight around all day.

Consider the Glock 36 before you choose a .45 ACP carry gun!
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

I don't think your carry gun's ability to shoot tight groups should be that high a priority, unless you will also be using it for competition. Defensive shooting is not an accuracy contest. I think grip feel, trigger feel, easily acquired sights, and reliability are much more important qualities. Also, availability of holsters and other accessories is important to reseach before committing to a gun purchase.

Both the M&P and the Sigs are good guns. Try before you buy. You might also want to look at a Para Ord. LDA that has a lot of the benefits of a 1911 with a double action trigger.
    Lex et Libertas — Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

Sigs are outstanding weapons. I'd say get the 220 and be done with it.

Austin

If you are considering the Sig 220 and are current active duty military, a veteran or retired military, Sig is offering a $100 rebate. This might sweeten the pot. See the link below for details.

http://www.sigsauer.com/Products/MFG.aspx
    US Navy Retired Silent Service

The real test of a man is not when he plays the role he wants for himself, but when he plays the role destiny has for him.
    Vaclav Havel

I'd go with the sig P220 carry , I carry the P245(no longer in production) , the 220 Carry is basically the 245 with a beaver tail . I get great groups with it , it's easy to carry , extremely reliable and it packs the punch of a .45. Sig is well worth the extra money.

Quote Originally Posted by pa-shooter View Post
    I am trying to decide on my first carry gun. I have settled on the 45 ACP for the cartridge,
    The XD45 compact hands down 10 + 1 in the chamber with 13 in the spare mag. Easy to conceal. Hits whatever you point it at. Has made me a far better shot than I ever was before. Imagine a small gun that is a blast to shoot. Absolutely rock solid reliable. IMHO dollar for dollar the best gun made and better than some at twice the price. Try it you will love it
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

I just picked up an HK 45 USP Compact, got the Comp-Tac holster for it. This is a great system for ccw. Just as with any .45 you have to dress for the gun, but it's sweet.
    I've learned a long time ago you get what you pay for, and listen to those who have thousands of rounds downrange.
    Good luck!

Administrator
    I'd go with the SIG 220. The "carry" version is very nice.
    It has a phenomenal long standing proved reputation for reliability, perfect ergonmics, pointability & tackdriving accuracy.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links