Glock 26 or XD Subcompact?

This is a discussion on Glock 26 or XD Subcompact? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm looking for a small, light, potent CCW. Would love a Kahr CW9, but, the more I read, the more I find issues, and would ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Glock 26 or XD Subcompact?

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar

Glock 26 or XD Subcompact?

I'm looking for a small, light, potent CCW. Would love a Kahr CW9, but, the more I read, the more I find issues, and would not feel confident carrying it. So, I'm concidering a Glock 26 or XD 9mm subcompact.
    Any ideas, notions, comments, criticism would be appreciated. It would be great to hear from people who may own both.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    XD.....For me, alot of it is personal,I prefer the XD. Admittadly(sp) I prefer some of the safety features of the XD vs. the glock as a new comer to carrying,but its definitely NO excuse or reason WHATSOEVER to not practice safe procedures.

Go to your local range,or call some friends,and shoot them both. Goto a gun shop and hold them,see how they fit your hand.

Your not going to have reliablility issues with either,so I think it comes down to personal preference.

Like I said, I personally like all the features the XD has over the Glock,and the ergonomics,I can't lie a glock was VERY tempting when I purchased my XD.

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Both fine guns. Forget all the posts that will say only one or the other is the way to go. Go shoot them both side by side if possible and determine: Which feels more natural in your hand and which one shoots more accurately for you naturally (without the sights, just point and shoot).
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LBrombach View Post
    Both fine guns. Forget all the posts that will say only one or the other is the way to go. Go shoot them both side by side if possible and determine: Which feels more natural in your hand and which one shoots more accurately for you naturally (without the sights, just point and shoot).
    Good Idea! Choices like these are subjective. Go wring both out on the range and then make an informed choice.

I love my XD9sc...

I have a G-23 .40 cal compact and was looking for a subcompact gun.

I've been looking at XD's for about a year.

When renting guns I rented the XD9sc and loved it. They didn't have a G-26 but they did have a G-27 so I rented that. I didn't like the .40 cal in a sub compact. Although the G-27 was very accurate, my hand started getting numb after about 4 magazines. No problem with the XD9sc.

Plus my wife is thinking of getting a sub compact 9mm to replace her 5 shot snub nose.

Figuring she wouldn't care much for the sub compact .40 cal I went ahead and got the XD9sc.

No regrets, I do think it shoots better than the Glock, but that's my opinion.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by LBrombach View Post
    That is the best advice that anyone here, or on any other forum, can give you.

Glock 26 vote

I would go with the Glock 26 over the XD. I've had nothing but good experience with my slightly larger Glock 19, and wouldn't hesitate to trust the G26. I think the Glock will be tougher and more durable than the small XD, and I personally prefer the looks of the Glock.

I own an XD-40 subcompact. If I had to do it all over I would buy a Glock 27 instead for 2 reasons...

1. the grip is a bit shorter and i'm skinny so every 1/4" helps.

2. Glock will sell you replacement parts, springfield makes you send the whole gun back.

Of course they point much different so you have to hold them both. I shoot the XD better but do just fine with the glock.

If you can't shoot them both, at least handle/dryfire both so you know the difference in terms of grip angle and how they point for you.

As for me, I went with the proven...Glock.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Glock, main reasons:

Parts and after market parts availablity

Magazine interchangeablity i.e. 33 rounders will work in a 26

Finish

Barrel has polygonal rifleing

No grip saftey

Come on, folks.. Every time I see an XD/Glock thread I see more silly info about the XD that simply isn't true.

The Glock will be tougher and more durable? Based on what? They have both been through the same "torture tests" and they both performed flawlessly.

The Glock is more "proven" one might argue, but with thousands of XDs out there with millions of rounds through them with no problems, I'm just not sure I buy it anymore. When will the XD be "proven enough"? I'm not sure the Glock fans will ever stop pulling that reason out...

As for replacement parts, quite a few of them can be purchased now from both Springfield as well as third parties. And Springfield will also send you many of them without requiring a return. I have tens of thousands of rounds through mine, however, and never needed any parts.

Bottom line, go fire them both. I did and it was no question what I liked better. The XD's 1911-like grip angle was more comfortable, and the extra safety features were useful but unobtrusive. The choice was simple for me. Go shoot them both and decide for yourself..

Good Luck! I'm sure you'd be happy with whichever you pick. They are both excellent weapons.
    Proud Georgia Firearms Licensee
    Springfield Armory XD-9 Subcompact
    Seecamp LWS32
    Browning Buckmark
    Walther P22
    Bersa Thunder 380

Quote Originally Posted by Mojoski View Post
    Come on, folks.. Every time I see an XD/Glock thread I see more silly info about the XD that simply isn't true.

The Glock will be tougher and more durable? Based on what? They have both been through the same "torture tests" and they both performed flawlessly.

The Glock is more "proven" one might argue, but with thousands of XDs out there with millions of rounds through them with no problems, I'm just not sure I buy it anymore. When will the XD be "proven enough"? I'm not sure the Glock fans will ever stop pulling that reason out...

As for replacement parts, quite a few of them can be purchased now from both Springfield as well as third parties. And Springfield will also send you many of them without requiring a return. I have tens of thousands of rounds through mine, however, and never needed any parts.

Bottom line, go fire them both. I did and it was no question what I liked better. The XD's 1911-like grip angle was more comfortable, and the extra safety features were useful but unobtrusive. The choice was simple for me. Go shoot them both and decide for yourself..

Good Luck! I'm sure you'd be happy with whichever you pick. They are both excellent weapons.
    Hmmmmm...a biased post, just as I suspected as I read the first line...

The "...XD will be proven enough..." when it can surpass the Glock's experience level, it's that simple...heh.

Your whole defensive sounding tirade boiled down to grip angle preference...sheesh.

We've loved our Glocks longer...because they're better...
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

I have the XD 9SC and it is a great gun for CCW. The 26 did'nt feel right tome in my hand. Ilove my G23, but now I'm getting a G 30. If I were you I would get the G 26/27.the reason I say this is I had to send my XD 45 back for service and it seem like it took forever for it to come back. i was told on 2 occasions that they did not have the gun when someone else there told me that they did and gave me a ref. number. I'm not saying Springfield service is bad, it's just that it will be alot easier to get your Glock set up for you if you need any kind of service.

G26 :)

G-26

Just because...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links