New love to debate - Ruger sp101

New love to debate - Ruger sp101

This is a discussion on New love to debate - Ruger sp101 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So, after much debate and research (love corneredcat.com) on the 3913LS vs. the p239 Sig... I have found another that I like. The Ruger Sp101 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Member Array cherryblossommj's Avatar

Question New love to debate - Ruger sp101

So, after much debate and research (love corneredcat.com) on the 3913LS vs. the p239 Sig... I have found another that I like. The Ruger Sp101 357mag spurless with laser grips. Found it in a store, and must say love. I have definitely decided against the Sig for now, it's a like not a love.. So now I'm stuck between the 3913LS and the Ruger SP101... it gets complicated with brands, weight, and of course revolver vs. semi-automatic... Any thoughts/ suggestions??

Administrator
    The sp101 is a great gun, lose the laser though.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I agree - lose the laser.
    Choice should depend how each feel in your hand. Shoot both if you have a chance.

Also consider how to carry each (if CCW is involved).

wyo-man

I have two SP-101's and have had them for about 18 years. Great guns as far as I'm concerned. Solidly built and will digest any hot load you put in it.

Totally reliable.

Personally I don't have a laser on them but have considered getting one on the wifes gun.

Not sure why a lot of folks are against the laser. Personally it's probably only gonna be used at less than 20 feet and more than likely less than 10 or 12 feet. I would think that as you are drawing, keeping both eyes open and on the target, being able to see the laser on the target would just speed up the shot and let you know where that bullet is gonna land.

Plus the laser is good for training as you can see if your point of impact is off from your point of aim with the laser and help you correct.

JMO.... YMMV
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

RUGER

I have, I guess, become an all Ruger guy..I'm not sure how or when it happened! LOL!! I traded my GLOCK 32 for a GP100 and I started using my wife's P95. I must say that I am very happy with both.!!

I'm assuming the grips are Crimson Trace grips which is a great product. I say go for the ruger with the CT grips. One more thing, you might want to check out these guys:

http://www.geminicustoms.com/Revolve...20Services.htm

They do amazing stuff with the SP-101's.

While I would lean toward the Ruger, my wife immediately said the 3913LS. She loves hers.
    Lex et Libertas Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

SP101's a great gun. Solid, accurate, and reliable. Get some ammo and put in some range time. The SP101 like any Ruger revolver needs some shooting to slick up the action, and assuming your revolver is a snub nose, it will take you some time to get used to the short barrel. Good excuse to get out and shoot anyway.

That is a tough decision. Both are great firearms. The 3913LS should be easier to conceal and offer less recoil (9mm vs 357). I own both a 640-1 and a 3913LS and go off and on carrying each one. Despite what the other people might say, the CT grips are a huge advantage and I put them on every pistol that I can. It is a shame that they will never make them for the 3913LS. Round capacity is an issue. 5 rounds vs 9 (8+1). I like both firearms and would probably buy the one that I get the best deal on and then save up some more $ to buy the other one.

I confess that I'm really desiring an SP 101 myself. Shot several and they shoot and handle very well. Put me down as another non fan of lasers though. In side by side comparison for me I lost too much time looking for that blasted dot over instinctive point and shoot. Different people may have better luck with them though.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

There's the old saying, "its better to have and not need, than need and not have...". The 3913 offers capacity and speed of loading(and more conveniently carried reloads.). The SP101 is not lighter, nor appreciably smaller.

My choice would be a pistol I knew I could fight with, then decide if something else would answer for times when I felt lower risk warranted lower capacity and/or deeper concealment. Have fun shopping!

SP101

My girlfriend has one as her bedside gun. Hers is a great .38, and the only .38 I would use +P+ in. As for lasers, Good if you practice, bad if you think they make it impossible to miss. Great for excercising the cat.

my new EDC

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ad.php?t=33611

I read a lot of encouraging reports before getting it.

I have the 3913TSW and owned it for 8+ yrs. I have been very pleased it has had 100% reliability with everything I have ever put through it. It conceals well and is fun to shoot. I personally no longer carry it I dont know why it took me 8yrs and thousands of rounds to decide it just shoots low for me. I dont own a SP but have read everything I could find on them the past few months. I have found way more positives than negatives neither is perfect for pocket carry however I think both would be great IWB or OWB.

SP 101 is a great gun. I have Crimson Trace laser on mine and don't have anything bad to say about it. It does make great practice tool. With any gun, see how it feel in your hand.
    If you are new to guns, a revolver is easier to operate, as you don't have a magazine, magazine release, slide, slide locks, safeties etc to deal with. Cylinder, latch and a trigger are all you need to know on the revolver.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links